Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Oh, I just had a great idea for MotF 50:

50 Years is a long time

Make two maps, 50 years apart.
No restrictions, anything from the huge shifts in the world (e.g. 1900-1950 OTL) to the development of a city over the half-decade. You could have an entire Cold War, or 50 years after the discovery of the New World or 50 years after Rome falls. Or OTL 50 years in the future.

I think it has the right amount of flexibility and relevance. It's also good enough to get plenty of entries. I quite like it personally :).

50 Years is a long time

No restrictions, anything from the huge shifts in the world (e.g. 1900-1950 OTL) to the development of a city over the half-decade. You could have an entire Cold War, or 50 years after the discovery of the New World or 50 years after Rome falls. Or OTL 50 years in the future.

I think it has the right amount of flexibility and relevance. It's also good enough to get plenty of entries. I quite like it personally :).

I could get behind this as well...

50 Years is a long time

Good idea.
I recommend A Half-Century Apart.

50 Years is a long time

I support it too!

Just a thought for some future contest:

1453 All Over Again: Show the final collapse of an alternate "Roman Empire." ("Roman Empire" is this case being an polity which can justifiably trace its origin back to the city of Rome. OTL Byzantines are fine, but HRE and Russians are iffy.)

Just a thought for some future contest:

1453 All Over Again: Show the final collapse of an alternate "Roman Empire." ("Roman Empire" is this case being an polity which can justifiably trace its origin back to the city of Rome. OTL Byzantines are fine, but HRE and Russians are iffy.)

You know, that's kinda cool. Actually a lot of scope for variety, but with an overriding theme.

I assume that TTL versions of HRE and Russia with a deeper claim to Roman origins than OTL would be permitted...

You know, that's kinda cool. Actually a lot of scope for variety, but with an overriding theme.

I assume that TTL versions of HRE and Russia with a deeper claim to Roman origins than OTL would be permitted...

Yep. Or something like Pischinovski's Araldyan series--though that has several believable "Romes."

A question concerning the current MotF: Is it allowed to submit a map depicting a fictional World Cup, albeit in a OTL political status? (My map would refer to a fictional soccer World Cup in inter-war Poland).

Last edited:
I can't believe my sports idea got used. Now you sneaky bastards have left me with but 48 hours to make a map. And I can barely use Paint, let alone Inkscape/GIMP. AAARGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Krall

Banned
A question concerning the current MotF: Is it allowed to submit a map depicting a fictional World Cup, albeit in a OTL political status? (My map would refer to a fictional soccer World Cup in inter-war Poland).

Provided that there is something different about the sports competition (i.e. it's not exactly the same as a specific sports competition from OTL in everyway) then it's fine. As your map would depict a World Cup in Poland that did not happen in OTL, it meets these requirements.

It looks like "50 Years is a Long Time" is the most popular challenge suggestion for MotF 50 - is everyone in favour or are there other challenges people would like more?