Map challenge!!!!!!!!!

Exactly what the title says. I'll be posting historical maps after a while.
edited2010.PNG

edited2010.PNG

Last edited:
I honestly have no idea how to explain Africa. Those borders make very little sense.
What, you mean the not one, but three space-filling empires? Those almost always can be explained in the same way, and the fact that there are three of them can be explained by the largeness of the African continent.

Then it's probably colonial.
Most colonial borders made some level of sense, usually covering well-established trade routes or waterways, and generally marked the rough extent of a colonial power's (often fishy but still there) treaties with local tribes, chiefs, and political units. "It's colonial" is not a good excuse to draw silly borders willy-nilly.

There are a lot of small states in Europe that I just can't find a justification for the existence of whatsoever :\

The English Empire is very weird too. They've taken places like Walvis Bay and Borneo while passing up far preferable targets like Singapore, Australia, India etc

Last edited:
Well, the POD would have to be in the early colonial period....

Farther back than that. You'd probably have to have a POD in the late 1300s/early 1400s to get a LITHUANIAN state controlling so much of modern-day Russia. Also, the Central Asian/African/South American borders make no sense whatsoever.

And then there's Japan.

And the USNA has territory in both North AND South America. :confused:

Here's 2000:

So the Japanese just gave up huge amounts of land, Italy changed hands, the Midwest became independent (but they got Cuba!), and several other sins against history not worth mentioning, eh?

The only plausible thing about this map is England being pink.

Looks like EU3 game after a few centuries.
Probably ported to Hearts of Iron 2 expansions with lots of nukes flying around.

There are a lot of small states in Europe that I just can't find a justification for the existence of whatsoever :\

The English Empire is very weird too. They've taken places like Walvis Bay and Borneo while passing up far preferable targets like Singapore, Australia, India etc

Well, it is 2010 - perhaps they _used_ to control a lot more good stuff which has since become independent.

US Mexico just gives me a headache. British rather than Spanish Mexico? The United States takes it from the Brits in a war, perhaps? But then we have to explain the remarkable freedom from racism of the USians that they make a mestizo country part of their own state - and how come British Mexico is only that little chunk of Mexico+central America?

Bruce

Well, it is 2010 - perhaps they _used_ to control a lot more good stuff which has since become independent.

I guess they could keep Walvis Bay but keeping Borneo and New Britain doesn't make much economic sense though. If the English Empire has just shed its colonies it should have shed the remaining ones for financial reasons too.