Mao sticks with New Democracy Program

Commissar

Banned
As the tin says, Mao sticks to the policies of New Democracy and doesn't go batshit insane with the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution.

Would we see an earlier rise of China's might?

I could be wrong, but wasn't New Democracy basically just a ploy to help the CCP consolidate power? Not only Mao, but all the other top Party bigwigs had no intention of letting it go on for too long, but simply intended New Dem. to serve as a transition phase to a more hard-line Communist system.

I could be wrong, but wasn't New Democracy basically just a ploy to help the CCP consolidate power? Not only Mao, but all the other top Party bigwigs had no intention of letting it go on for too long, but simply intended New Dem. to serve as a transition phase to a more hard-line Communist system.
Basically.

The Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution were not only things Mao actually believed in because he was batshit, they also helped him reconsolidate his power. So you'd need to get rid of Mao.

As it was, it took a huge number of fiascos, any of which could have resulted in the fall of the CCP, to convince the CCP to liberalize (Great Leap Forward, Cultural Revolution, Tiananmen, fall of the USSR). There's a lot of inertia there.

Bingo. Let a hundred flowers bloom -- so we can mow them down ...

Spengler

Banned
I want to know why a totalitarian nut job would stick to something that he instituted to made just lull his perceived opponents into a state of complacency. Could anyone explain that to me?