Manstein in Africa: The Genius of the Desert

The end of an empire (chapter 10)

Western Egypt May 1941

Hermann Balck at the head of the 5th Light division sent his veteran desert warriors against the frontier defenses. Diligent night work had cleared paths through the mine fields. Balck looked up and saw dozens of German fighters and bombers flying top cover to his advancing troops. The created wastelands of destruction as much as 30 miles behind the lines and helped guide the mobile artillery of the Africa Corps.

5th Light's recon battalion with an attached company of panzer 4's crashed through the wire obstacles making as much as 40 kilometers per hour and overran two regimental headquarters. Whenever firm resistance was encountered it was fixed then surrounded by motorized infantry backed by armor. Mobile guns would pound the surrounded commonwealth troops and repeated pattern bombing runs would force their surrender.

Within 4 hours 7th Armored was in deep trouble. They committed 60 cruiser tanks and 45 matildas to stop the Africa Corps. They committed the classic blunders against the determined troops of GeneralOberst Von Manstein. They attacked directly into the sun, didn't receive artillery support and engaged in wild charges against forward light tanks. The Germans inflicted a turkey shoot with their 88mm guns firing from the center and 50mm guns in hollows and sand traps aiming for the flanks. The Desert rats lost 50 tanks in as many minutes. Ariette then arrived on the battlefield with their 38 L-3 75's. Their high velocity and flat trajectory again proved formidable in desert conditions that were without cover. The matildas went up like torches far beyond the range of their puny 2 pounder guns.

By the end of the day 7th armored was down to 20 runners and had lost immense amounts of prisoners. More importantly the Germans kept possession of the battlefield and added 80 repairable tanks to their depots. British mobile infantry forces proved more a nuisance than a threat to the Africa corps as they motored down the via balbia in 10,000 vehicles to meet up with their parachutists. Whenever the British showed themselves Balck called on his circling bombers to keep them busy while the ground troops forced an encirlement.

By the second day of battle Manstein could shake hands with General Student and his boys for a job well done. 7th armored was utterly destroyed. 4th Indian was falling back fast while the Africa corps pursued and the Australians were stuck in the desert further to the south. Forward airfields were captured and Mersa Matruh was surrounded and overrun by the seemingly unstoppable Panzer Army Africa. They reached a small rail junction at El Alemain and were compelled to stop as resistance hardened and their supply lines broke down due to their length and days of intense combat.

Manstein would have to reach into his bag of tricks to get the advance going again....

to be continued
your thoughts or critiques?

germany-me110.jpg

The ME-110 fighter bomber. While not first class against single engine fighters it proved invaluable in Africa were endurance and versatility were key

Obviously, the airborne troops have not been massacred this time and may be used again. Malta is still waiting...

Obviously, the airborne troops have not been massacred this time and may be used again. Malta is still waiting...

Manstein doesn't favor an attack on Malta but there is going to be a nifty special operation to alter the naval balance of power

The most necessary deception (Chapter 11)

Commando Supremo Rome May 1941

A cunning operation had been planned by the Italian joint high command to help wrest control of the Mediteranian from the UK. Operation Midnight was hatched in the Reggia Marina as the result of a curious naval battle and was then warmly endorsed by Benito Mussolini as a way for Italy to gain additional glory.

It had grown extremely dangerous to send convoys through to Malta due to the committment of the second air fleet. The British cruiser HMS Calcutta had her radio antenna area damaged by a pair of light bombs from an ME-110 while trying to return home after a dangerous mission to Malta. This aircraft then circled homing in JU-88's under Major Helbig which sank the helpless vessel with a spread of torpedoes. Calcutta was never able to get out a distress call. Radio intercepts showed the British admiralty were not aware of her fate.

A young Captain in the Reggia Marina suggested fitting out the old cruiser Armando Diaz to look like HMS Calcutta. This was quickly approved and paint and ply wood were put to good use to make them at least a superficial match to the average observer. With three days of intense labor and some while in mid voyage Armando Diaz steamed for Gibralter. The crew had knocked over the antenna array to show they were unable to communicate. They flashed flag and lamp signals to destroyers guarding the entrance to the harbor saying they had been damaged by air strikes. A fake patch had been placed over the whole to simulate torpedo damage and create a viable reason why they were so delayed in returning.

Armando Diaz's volunteer crew steamed into the home of Force H as they were completely naive to her intentions. She pulled along side HMS Rodney while the crew went to battle stations. Three torpedoes were launched while the guns were readied. They tore the hell out of Rodney's hull and the great battleship quickly settled to the harbor floor burning fiercely. Armando Diaz trained her 150mm guns on HMS Ark Royal and plastered her with fire. Her flight deck was utterly destroyed and serious fires were started whilst Armando Diaz used her secondary armament to sink a merchant ship in the harbor and to try to keep the on rushing angry destroyers away.

There was brief deadly confusion on the British side while they tried to figure out why one of their own ships was opening fire but HMS Renoun was up to the task. Powder charges were brought up and her massive 15inch guns were readied. After Armando Diaz finished her destruction of Force H's only carrier she turned her guns towards the British destroyers that were already causing her damage. Renoun then opened up with devastating effect smashing her bridge and creating dangerous flooding from unmissable close range. Armando Diaz then scuttled herself while the men made for their boats and surrender. Over 400 tons of high explosives lay in her hull on delayed charges. The skeleton crew was taken prisoner by passing light craft and brought to the commander Admiral Cunningham. He hadn't even asked the first Italian sailor his name when the charges in Armando Diaz's hull went off damaging a minesweeper next to her and causing extensive damage to the dockyards. The Italian sailor smiled and said his mission was complete and he knew nothing more.

For the cost of an old light cruiser and a modest volunteer crew the Reggia Marina had subtracted a battleship and a carrier from the Royal Navy. They also damaged two destroyers. This would greatly aid axis naval supremacy in the central Mediterranian

to be continued....

your thoughts?

diaz1.jpg

the cruiser Armando Diaz which did great damage to the Royal Navy

Esimio! Formidabile! - But the real convoy killers were the planes coming out of Malta. - Even if our friend Erich doesn't favour an operation against Malta, someone in the Commando Supremo ought to see what is really required. So, let Folgore do the landings, they're an excellent outfit. Benito will burst out of pride...

BTW: Erich was a typical General Staff officer, he wouldn't itch to go leading an assault. He knew he was most effective in planning, directing and supervising an operation from HQ, not in its conduct on the ground.

Esimio! Formidabile! - But the real convoy killers were the planes coming out of Malta. - Even if our friend Erich doesn't favour an operation against Malta, someone in the Commando Supremo ought to see what is really required. So, let Folgore do the landings, they're an excellent outfit. Benito will burst out of pride...

BTW: Erich was a typical General Staff officer, he wouldn't itch to go leading an assault. He knew he was most effective in planning, directing and supervising an operation from HQ, not in its conduct on the ground.

I think Africa has given him a streak of risk taking an independance more than historical buttoned up behind a desk. He did lead several forward operations as a corps commander in France and in the opening stages of Barbarossa. He was never the risk taker that Rommel was. Rommel had at least 3 command vehicles shot out from under him historically and was willing to leave his headquarters without direction to put himself at the decisive point (this had mixed results especially during the "dash to the wire")

Malta has extremely limited resources at this point because the luftwaffe has committed 600 more aircraft than otl including forces specifically detailed for convoy defense and suppression of British naval units. With the Germans so deep in Egypt and controlling so many of the North African airfields it is very hard for Malta to be supplied.

Did you like operation midnight borrowed some of it from Hector Bywater's the great pacific war

Bump

Update soon?

yes i'm doing some research for the rommel portion of our story (I am not much of an expert on him) I should have something up tonight on the Frozen Fox

my most recent tl update was in the failure before moscow joint tl I am doing with red. For right now I am trying to alternate chapters between the two :)

if anyone knows of any good books where i could get some details on the movements of the 2nd panzer army id love to hear them. guderian's book is a little jaded and i would love to supplement it to put rommel in more dynamic position to influence barbarossa

Last edited:
Act as my eyes (Chapter 12)

We take time now to view the story of our other linchpin character Erwin Rommel. His and Manstein's story have not crossed yet so I will attempt to tell them in a parallel way.

March 1941

With Manstein given the big headlines, command of the Africa corps, and even his own 7th Panzer Division, Generalleutant Erwin Rommel was now without a command. His performance to date though garaunteed future work.

During his fantastic drive through France Rommel had driven his ghost division like a madman. For less than 2000 casualties he had taken over 100,000 prisoners and more war booty than anyone had time to count.

Rommel_France_1940.jpg

The Veteran Commander awaiting his next assignment

While Manstein was a sober professional staff officer in the best tradition of Moltke, Rommel was a mover and a shaker. Leading from the front was practically a fetish in his outfit which was a mixed blessing in higher command, he was frequently out of touch with his own and higher headquarters which created command difficulties and forced one to rely heavily on subordinates and his officers suffered heavy casualties leading from the front.

This was one of the reasons the senior members of the high command blocked Hitler's plan to give him the Africa corps... he was too far forward, too out of touch for such an independant assignment, what he needed was a strong guiding hand to nurture his fighting talents and genius and the personel office and Hitler had just the idea.

Rommel was summoned following the departure of 7th Panzer to Italy to a military conference which Hitler chaired himself as usual.

Hitler: Rommel for your fine conduct in France and service to the fatherland you have been promoted to GeneralDerPanzerTruppen
Rommel: Thank you my Fuhrer. Although at this moment I am a GeneralDerPanzerTruppen without any panzers to command.
Hitler: We have not forgotten about you Rommel. I need you to be my eyes. You will act as my personal emmisary on a number of important assignments
Rommel: If the fuhrer would permit me to advise him that I am not the most qualified officer for such an assignment. I wish to have a field command where I could most help the fatherland
Hitler: Don't worry Rommel I have more than one plan for you. You are going to command the 24th Panzer Corps under 2nd Panzer Group for our upcomming invasion of Russia. You will have 3rd and 4th Panzer 10th Motorized and 1st Cavalry. You will come under the command of GeneralOberst Heinz Guderian. That is unless you don't think you can handle a few inspections for me and ready a full strength Panzer Corps at the same time
(Rommel broke out into the biggest grin of his life over 500 Panzers at his disposal his mind raced with possibilites)
Rommel: Thank you my fuhrer I gladly accept the assignments you have given me and will not let you down
Hitler: Excellent I knew you could handle anything I asked for. Now I want you to attach yourself to Ewald Von Kliest's HQ as my representative and view our progress in the invasion of Greece and Yugoslavia. You are also to conduct a quick inspection tour of Africa and the Eastern Front then report back to me... once you are done with this you can take over your Panzer Corps. This Conference is over!

to be continued....

your thoughts on our start to the Frozen Fox?

rommel.jpg

Erwin Rommel commander of the 24th Panzer Corps who had umlimited drive and ambition even in this photograph his Ego screams out at you... but his ego was earned in blood and not all of it his own

do we want to stay with rommel a bit more or go back to manstein?

Last edited:

Germaniac

Donor
Stick with Rommel for a short while, Manstein updates are amazing and I want to see what you are going to do with Rommel!

Playing the Führer's spy will not endear Rommel with his fellow generals. That's Nazi behaviour, completely out of line with German Army tradition (though not necessarily with Rommel's character).
One may assume he'll meet a lot of resentment and clandestine sabotage on his mission.

Rommel had already commanded the fuhrer military headquarters during the take over of Czechoslovakia and during the invasion of Poland. He was approved for division command and the personel office wanted to give him an Austrian mountain division (this would have made the most sense given his experience, he was widely considered the model of an infantry general in broken country) Rommel was a favorite of the Hitler court and Hitler had read his book and helped Rommel get what he wanted a Panzer command.

Given his strong ties and direct relationship with Hitler a fair amount of the senior leadership saw him as Hitler's Schützling (protege) or wunderkind. In otl Hitler talked of giving Rommel command of the postwar German army and he was also considered to replace Bock at Army Group center. I think the resentment against him being a "Nazi" general would be somewhat minimal. He is coming under the the command of Guderian who himself had a similar close relationship to Hitler at this time. From the limited reading I have done of Rommel the old hands of the General staff didn't object to him on political grounds it was more that he had no staff experience and was in their opinion the lowest type of general a landser or feldgrau with general's rank. They also resented his ego, unlimited ambition and disdain for the chain of command (not unfounded problems but his success suppressed most outward dislike)

I will try to stay with Rommel for a couple of chapters (need to find some good research books because I have only ever read one book about him)

maverick

Banned
"Frozen Fox?"

That's terrible...unless its foreshadowing a horrible defeat in the frozen russian steppes...The Fox of the Steppes, or the Winter Fox, many other possibilities, if a Nom de Guerre is truly needed.

Otherwise I've never heard of Rommel having Nazi symphaties, well, ideological ones...although he did have that special relationship with Hitler...

Also, this Timeline remains to be a great read...can't wait to see what happens next

"Frozen Fox?"

That's terrible...unless its foreshadowing a horrible defeat in the frozen russian steppes...The Fox of the Steppes, or the Winter Fox, many other possibilities, if a Nom de Guerre is truly needed.

Otherwise I've never heard of Rommel having Nazi symphaties, well, ideological ones...although he did have that special relationship with Hitler...

Also, this Timeline remains to be a great read...can't wait to see what happens next

How about Bearkiller?