Moose aren't mean, they are just incapable of recognizing that anything is a danger to them including Train Locomotives
I must respectfully add a massive caveat to this. In the spring, Moose are perhaps the most dangerous animals in the woods. Specifically the females. Because they are so quiet, and because the calves go to ground to hide making them incredibly hard to spot, it is very possible to become rated a threat to the calf by the mother without ever knowing either are around. At which point you may well wish you were dealing with bears.

I'm *guessing* the current largest animal predator in the UK is the fox. I'd be surprised if there were less that two dozen species of carnivore in the USA that are larger than the fox. (And that includes Mammals, Birds(!) and Reptiles) And that isn't counting the species of wild Herbivores that are fully capable of killing a Human ranging from the Fluffy Cows to Moose to Wild Boars (which can top 400 lbs and are meaner than the Fluffy Cows and Moose put together and which are generally hunted with weaponry normally
intended to kill other human beings.)

(Moose aren't mean, they are just incapable of recognizing that anything is a danger to them including Train Locomotives)

And a large slice of those were known to the European colonists of North America within 20 years of arrival.
We do have a lot of foxes. Bison have been re-introduced in Kent I think, and we have deer all over the sodding place, ranging from Red Deer to Muntjacs, which are small. There are also boar in the New Forest (which are probably spreading).
To my brother in law's utter horror when he heard about this we also have had beavers reintroduced. He thinks that they are a menace and he regularly has to destroy beaver dams at work in Oregon.

I must respectfully add a massive caveat to this. In the spring, Moose are perhaps the most dangerous animals in the woods. Specifically the females. Because they are so quiet, and because the calves go to ground to hide making them incredibly hard to spot, it is very possible to become rated a threat to the calf by the mother without ever knowing either are around. At which point you may well wish you were dealing with bears.
Whenever we were in Oregon or Canada my wife stressed to me how dangerous Moose are. Especially when they stand in front of your approaching car and refuse to move.

Whenever we were in Oregon or Canada my wife stressed to me how dangerous Moose are. Especially when they stand in front of your approaching car and refuse to move.
That too. They are perfectly proportioned to fall directly on your seat if you run into them.

Of course, I know a guy who hit a muley which got stuck with its legs facing into the windshield. He was kicked to death while the deer tried to get itself free. So, yeah, I suppose there are many ways to die in the west.

Whenever we were in Oregon or Canada my wife stressed to me how dangerous Moose are. Especially when they stand in front of your approaching car and refuse to move. people.
Bill moose ignore folks. Just get out of their way. As others note, Mama Moose do not tolerate interlopers. Worst thing is to run into them if you have an unleashed dog. The three moose “attacks” in Colorado this involved dogs.

We do have a lot of foxes. Bison have been re-introduced in Kent I think, and we have deer all over the sodding place, ranging from Red Deer to Muntjacs, which are small. There are also boar in the New Forest (which are probably spreading).
To my brother in law's utter horror when he heard about this we also have had beavers reintroduced. He thinks that they are a menace and he regularly has to destroy beaver dams at work in Oregon.
I'm curious as to what job involves regularly destroying beaver dams. (most places in Maryland, they try putting a pipe underneath to allow for flow)

I'm curious as to what job involves regularly destroying beaver dams. (most places in Maryland, they try putting a pipe underneath to allow for flow)
Rancher. At least in my experience further North. In low rainfall areas beaver dams can represent a total monopoly on the limited water flow through a water basin. You need to remove them to get the water where you need it to water your livestock.

He works for the Park Service near Portland. Lots of land management issues. A friend of his once rang him in something of a tizzy to say that she'd hit a cat with her car and she didn't know what to do. Puzzled, he went to meet her. Turned out that by 'cat' she meant a lynx or a mountain lion. It was knocked out, woke up, saw them and ran away.
EDIT: Apologies, I was wrong. My brother in law works for the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT).

Last edited:
As I understand it that's only a partial solution. The beavers will eventually detect the flow and block the entrance to the pipe. Fortunately in Canada we have another way of dealing with pesky beaver dam produced flooding.

That too. They are perfectly proportioned to fall directly on your seat if you run into them.
You truly do not want to be over driving your headlights at night on the highways in Northern Canada. As you mentioned the Moose have long legs exactly the right height to place their body above the hood of a car. So it you hit one you get about a thousand pounds of Moose coming through your windshield at whatever speed you were going. A famous fatal accident cause.

Last edited:
Considering how dangerous Moose can be perhaps Lord Gort can arrange to have a brigade of them shipped to Malaya from Canada. It will be called Bullwinkle Force.

The basic problem is with the supply situation of both the British and Japanese in Malaya, is what is a railway? Just because you have access to a rail line doesn’t mean you have access to a functioning railway, if you don’t have access to all the rest of the resources that go to make up a railway. In addition to the rail line you also need, the staff to operate it, maintain it, and maintain the infrastructure and equipment. You can have the rail line, but without the rolling stock, all you have is some steel lines that you can not use, and a track bed that isn’t much use for moving supplies along. In Malaya the British have all the advantages, it’s their railway and unless they leave everything to the Japanese, and do not sabotage it as they pull back, the Japanese don’t have a lot. If the British during their withdrawal take all of the rolling stock and engines with them, along with the staff, plus demolishing some bridges, they have left the Japanese next to nothing. As the Japanese will have to import equipment from Thailand along with the staff to operate it, and find the labourers to repair any damage done. The British have all of the vital equipment and materials, plus the trained staff, to even during war time, keep their part of the railway running. At this time the motive power is steam, and this requires access to a supply of suitable coal, which the British have, plus a system to supply it, which they also have. You need maintenance and repair shops, and the skilled workers to operate in them. Unless the Japanese bring a number of skilled military railway companies with them and a source of fuel, the railway that they capture is basically worthless to them. Where as, provided the British keep their head and follow the plan, an area where all the advantages lie with them, and they should be able to operate the railway under their control, and keep it running. Which means that their logistics will be at worst adequate at best good in comparison to the Japanese whose logistics will be poor to ramshackle.
Full agreement on the above, but just as a detail, note that some of the Malaysian locomotive stock was converted from wood or coal to oil burners as far back as the WWI period. Oil was relatively readily available and easy to manage in the warm Malaysian environment, compared to coal which had somewhat limited availability within Malaysia, presented transportation issues if sourced from Thailand, and needed to be kept dry for most consistent use.

But the Japanese would have even more trouble if they captured oil burning engines, since oil for them was in even shorter supply.

Depending on what type of burners they are converted to or built with the locomotive would use anything form Diesel fuel all the way down to good old Bunker C like the ships used.

Driftless

Donor
Why are you all hi-jacking this to talk about silly stuff
I'll put my two-bit theory in here:
  1. The historical Malaya, Singapore, DEI, Burma etal Campaigns are very well known to many of our compatriots on this site - in gory detail
  2. As a by-product of point #1, our intrepid and prolific author is very careful to get their ducks absolutely in a row for history, and to prepare the ground for logical plausible divergence. That takes time, so there is sometimes intervals between the authors TL postings.
  3. When there are intervals, we impatient children will play. It's frequent for the observers/kibitzers to either descend into increasingly passionate pissing matches resolving little, or we go off on non-pertinent tangents, such as the discussion of air rifles and dangerous NA mammals. By comparison, pdf27's 1000 page AH volumes on an alternative 1940 war, got sidetrack into a discussion of bananas and banana shipping.
  4. When our author posts another update to the TL, we're all back on track (usually).

Last edited:
Why are you all hi-jacking this to talk about silly stuff
Hush. We are suggesting irregular warfare.
1699990123426.jpeg

a population of at least 400 or so wild boar on the Kent Sussex border. Allegedly as a result of escape from a farm near Tenterden following the great storm of 1987 (which I remember only too well)

also would add this as another potential threat

I remember going to New Hampshire as a kid and seeing big yellow signs along the road with a replaceable/changeable number on it that said Moose have killed xxx drivers so far this year. Yea, they are big, and set up nicely to come into your windshield when you hit them.

Thread tax. If the Japanese get held up on their advance down the malay peninsula, the ligistic burden will not be lessened, as a certain poster here seems to believe. It will in fact require more supplies of all types to sustain a longer offensive. Also, a less rapid advance implies a stronger resistance, which will result in an increase in casualties. Plus, extending the time period will subject both sides to that supreme attritional factor of tropical warfare........disease.