Maid of Norway, Queen of Scotland: A Plantagenet Britain Timeline

Tbh medieval royals didn't care so much about titles and styles as modern or early modern royals. Margaret and Edward's children would likely be referred to by contemporaries as Lord/Lady *insert first name here* until they're given a title of their own (for the boys) or married (for the girls). In fact Edward I was known simply as Lord Edward prior to his father's death. They may be referred to in later historiography though as *insert first name* of *insert birthplace* like how Edward II was known as Edward of Carnarvon or his sisters were called Elizabeth of Rhuddlan, Joan of Acre, and Mary of Waltham, or as *insert first name* of England.

Last edited:
Tbh medieval royals didn't care so much about titles and styles as modern or early modern royals. Margaret and Edward's children would likely be referred to in chronicles and account books as Lord/Lady *insert first name here* until they're given a title of their own (for the boys) or married (for the girls). In fact Edward I was known simply as Lord Edward prior to his father's death. They may also be referred to as *insert first name* of *insert birthplace* like how Edward II was known as Edward of Carnarvon or his sisters were called Elizabeth of Rhuddlan, Joan of Acre, and Mary of Waltham, or as *insert first name*, son/daughter of the King of England.
This.

Great chapter! I love how you humanize the girls with the mention of 'flowering' and them not knowing what it meant. Also, as a fellow woman, my dearest condolences to Elsbeth, lol. I hope Margaret at least exchanges a decent amount of letters with her little sibling; they at least can try to bond that way. And she can certainly send some nice presents their way!

Great chapter! I love how you humanize the girls with the mention of 'flowering' and them not knowing what it meant. Also, as a fellow woman, my dearest condolences to Elsbeth, lol. I hope Margaret at least exchanges a decent amount of letters with her little sibling; they at least can try to bond that way. And she can certainly send some nice presents their way!
Ah your first period is such a strange time. I literally didn't realise I had it even though my mother explained it THOROUGHLY until two days after it began, I went to my mom and said "Mom... something is happening" and she was like 'MY BABY GIRL IS A WOMAN"

Ah your first period is such a strange time. I literally didn't realise I had it even though my mother explained it THOROUGHLY until two days after it began, I went to my mom and said "Mom... something is happening" and she was like 'MY BABY GIRL IS A WOMAN"
Lmao I was too chickenshit to tell my mom when it happened (tbf I was also older, 15 to be exact, so I knew what was going on)

I didn't read this part. First, Rothesay is a Stewart invention, because Rothesay is part of their lands, so Margaret would need a different title for her own heir.
I am well aware of that. I said it as an example of how the queen could just dump titles on her kids. Couldn’t be bothered to do research on what potential unused titles her kids could have.
Second, that's a duke's titles. A title doesn't erase your names. Sort of like how Édouard is Prince of Wales, but he is also Edward of England. Or William being still considered a Prince of the UK, since his dad is the king. That's a title, not an appelation. They would still have the appelation 'of Wales/of England' added on to their own titles.
Depends.Appelations are always quite informal. Charles of Anjou, Charles of Valois etc were all born sons of the mainline Capetian kings. They were known as of Anjou, of Valois for example because of their title, not where they were born or who their father was.
For example, William IV of the UK was Duke of Clarence, but he was William Henry of Great Britain and Ireland when he was born because you don't get titles the minute you leave your mother's womb . They want to see if you will live first.. And William's children, all of whom are illegitimate, were known as Fitzclarence for example rather than Fitzroy because they weren't the children of the king (which is what fitzroy means) but the children of the duke of clarence. Edouard, if he has any children now, they will be referred to as Fitzwales rather than anything else.

And the girls won't get titles of their own, so they still need an appelation. Margaret and Edouard's daughters won't be duchesses of albany, cambridge, ross, or whatever, even if they have no younger brothers.
That is true.
Charlotte of Wales is known as Princess Charlotte of Wales because her dad wasn't king of england yet while she lived and she was already born in a time where a monarch's grandchildren in the male-line are treated as Princes and Princesses of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, which is not the same situation in our time. See the daughter of Prince Leopold, Queen Victoria's fourth son. Legally, she was a princess of the uk, but she was called by her father's titles. Queen Victoria's children and Queen Elizabeth's children were also born in a time where the law was that the monarch's children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren were princes and princess of the uk (in the male-line for grandchildren and below) so that's why they changed their name.
I am well aware of that and? The issue was that none of these grandchildren has a mother who was a monarch in her own right. Better example is how her own children was actually called.
Edward's children don't have the same idea. There is no legal precendence for a child of a monarch of Scotland who is also a male-line grandchild of the King of England. NONE. So I get to invent it. And I'm going through the contemporary (of the 1200s) image that it was the father's name. Why aren't Queen Jeanne's children referred to as 'of France and Navarre'? Because that's their dad's title.
Because their dad was already king the moment they were born? The ambiguity here is what if their dad wasn’t king until much later?Contemporaries like the Navarrese showed that it’s either the House name or the queen’s kingdom.BTW, it seems that the kids of Queen Urraca of Leon/Castile were called of [insert kingdom] as well instead of after their father’s title(like of Galicia) or their father’s house(of Burgundy).

It's very rare that a regnant queen doesn't marry a king. As in, at the time that they are wed, he is already a king. The only image I have is Ferdinand and the children they had before his dad died were referred to as 'of Aragon' which Isabella pointed out is a common practice in his family rather than the title 'of Sicily' since that's his own title.
I am aware that they probably should be referred to by "of England" rather than "of Wales", but I'm also writing a story where a lot of characters have the same name, so anyway I can get to differentiate them, I'm taking it. Or do you really think Édouard's daughters won't have the same names as his sisters?
Of Scotland would be a fine appellation too.Same with birth places.You do what you want, all I am saying is that using their mother’s title as the basis for their appellation isn’t actually something that wasn’t done when the father was of a lower rank personally when the kids are born.
Well, beginning with Saxony... It's isn't Saxony itself, it's Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, which is a branch of the Saxon ruling family. Second, I just went to search the children of Queen Maria II to see if in the Portuguese wikipedia, they are referred to as of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, but they actually don't seem to even be a part of the Saxon dynasty. All of them seem to belong to House of Braganza (https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_V_de_Portugal). This idea of a mother's family name being inherited by a royal child is quite a recent invention and I think the first to do so was actually Maria Theresa in the 1700s with her children.
Prince Albert frequently referred to himself as Duke of Saxony. I am well aware of the fact that he is of the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha branch, and his brother/father is formally title Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. Not sure if the title of Duke of Saxony is something like Archduke of Austria where all cadets get to use.IIRC, the guy once had a rant to Queen Victoria about how being the ‘Duke of Saxony’ was better than being the Duke of Norfolk etc or something after being snubbed by the British peers.
Also in the 1200s, it very much is a last name the Of XYZ. Why do you think so many people don't know for example that Catherine of Aragon's actual last name was Trastamara (I'm not talking about the nerds in this site) or that Anne of Cleves' name is La Marck.
It’s not a last name in the sense we use right now.Like you have royals called of Gaunt, of Woodstock,of Bordeaux etc. There was much informality around it.It also changes depending on the perception and rise in one’s station.I really doubt people would be calling Richard of Bordeaux anything other than Richard of England after he acceded to the throne for example.
Also I think FalconHonour was using the example that royalty uses their father's title as a last name (the of Cambridge, of Wales, of Cornwall), since George was known in his primary school as George Cambridge and Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands was known as Trixie Orange when she studied as a child in Canada. Beyond that, it is also to show that they can indeed change (why Louis, Charlotte and George changed appelations three times in one day) and it isn't set in stone just because they were born when their father was Duke of Cambridge. So I shouldn't feel restricted to the term 'of Wales' just because that's what they were using when they were born. Philippa of Lancaster, for example, daughter of Henry IV, can also be referred to as Philippa of England after her dad became king.
There you go, we came to the same conclusion.
So Falcon (who was the only one mentioning the prince of wales' children aka not a lot of folks) wasn't telling me to follow the example of Prince William. She was just mentioning the fact that royalty does it and that it can change to fit the most recent situation, ergo the examples are still invalid.

Also, also, in my conversation with VV, he very much said they would probably use the term of England or wherever they happen to be born. I just said otherwise, because I actually prefer the term of Wales and he isn't here to defend himself rip :)

View attachment 902357
Okay. x'D

Last edited:
Oh boy, the girls are getting to that age! Poor Margaret will learn soon lol.

I hope Margaret can see her father and brother one day. I can’t imagine that he’d miss her wedding at least, for it would be a very rare wedding, of one between two monarchs.

I hope our boy Bobby will be ok! Don’t kill him off! It sure would boost his reputation if he did well and fought heroically even without armor.

Could someone (knowledgeable about said OTL war) give a brief summary on what’s changed so far (in this respect)?
OTL was far messier.Instead of Edward I marrying Constance of Aragon, and betrothing his daughter to Louis, he ‘married’ Blanche of France instead, with the same condition of letting Philippe take control of Aquitaine for 40 days( I have no idea why this is actually a term).Instead of actually marrying Blanche of France to Edward as promised however, Philippe married Blanche of France to Rudolf I of Bohemia and kept Aquitaine.Eventually he ended up marrying Blanche’s younger sister as part of the peace.Edmund also died a bit later. The man died in the midst of personally leading English forces in Aquitaine. I think Edward I in this timeline was also able to better support the Flemish than otl.

Would love to see Philip getting punished as the dishonourable cur that he was.

Last edited:
OTL was far messier.Instead of Edward I marrying Constance of Aragon, and betrothing his daughter to Louis, he ‘married’ Blanche of France instead, with the same condition of letting Philippe take control of Aquitaine for 40 days( I have no idea why this is actually a term).
Its cause in 40 days you get the income tax for an entire month and the revenue for a month. Also 40 days is a good number in chriatianity.

Its cause in 40 days you get the income tax for an entire month and the revenue for a month. Also 40 days is a good number in chriatianity.
It made little sense to just hand the entire duchy to him instead of just giving him the income.Plus not entirely sure what was the point IOTL when you are meant to be getting a dowry from Philip.

It made little sense to just hand the entire duchy to him instead of just giving him the income.Plus not entirely sure what was the point IOTL when you are meant to be getting a dowry from Philip.
Cause you bowed down and gave it to him so Philip looks like the magnanimous kong and benevolent when he (supposedly) gives it back.

OTL was far messier.Instead of Edward I marrying Constance of Aragon, and betrothing his daughter to Louis, he ‘married’ Blanche of France instead, with the same condition of letting Philippe take control of Aquitaine for 40 days( I have no idea why this is actually a term).Instead of actually marrying Blanche of France to Edward as promised however, Philippe married Blanche of France to Rudolf I of Bohemia and kept Aquitaine.Eventually he ended up marrying Blanche’s younger sister as part of the peace.Edmund also died a bit later. The man died in the midst of personally leading English forces in Aquitaine. I think Edward I in this timeline was also able to better support the Flemish than otl.

Would love to see Philip getting punished as the dishonourable cur that he was.
Also the name of Edward's second wife is Yolande. Constance is their daughter's name.

Cause you bowed down and gave it to him so Philip looks like the magnanimous kong and benevolent when he (supposedly) gives it back.
Was this actually a popular practise at the time? I feel like this was asking for treachery. I remember that my mind melted when I first read about the actual event in real life.That said, the scale of Philip’s treachery was shocking.

Last edited:
Chapter XXXIII - The Long Farewell
August 1295. Windsor Castle, England.

The Queen had come to visit her children, as both royal heirs had been moved to Windsor after an outbreak of smallpox in Kings Langley. Isabella de Beauchamp, the royal governess, watched them in silence as the Queen and her Aragonese attendants played with the little children, a smile on all their faces.

Lady Constance of Windsor was two with round blue eyes and her younger brother, Henry, was just one, crawling around the room with childish wonder. They were healthy and well-cared for. Isabella had made sure of that. Who knew what would happen to her if something were to occur for these two babies? They had entrusted her with them and it would threaten her financial independence to have such trust broken.

“Your papa has had a great victory,” Queen Yolande told Lady Constance. “His men in Mortagne captured Charles of Valois, King Philip’s own brother. This is a step closer to seeing you become Queen of France, my baby.”

Constance did not seem to care. She was only two, showing her mother her many dolls that her father’s vassals had gifted her. Yolande sighed and took them all, though, as soon as her child looked away, she handed them over to an Aragonese attendant.

The Queen looked at Isabella and the young governess looked back, giving her a shy curtsy.

“I won’t be able to see them for long, Mistress Beauchamp,” she said. “I hope you’ll care for them in my absence. With a mother’s care.” She smiled. “In fact, I don’t know when I shall return. It could be many years indeed.”

“Oh?” Isabella frowned. “Has something happened?”

“I intend to join my husband in the war,” Queen Yolande said. “Where my king goes, there is my kingdom. And a queen must be in her kingdom.” She laughed as young Henry began to pull on her dress, but quickly gestured for a lady to take him away. The Queen looked at Isabella again. “Do you understand what I have asked of you?”

“Yes, Your Grace,” Isabella said.

Edinburgh Castle, Scotland.

“What is it like?” Margaret asked, sharing a bed with Elsbeth. The two whispered together beneath the covers, as the others slept in cots laid on the floor. It was the only way they could discuss it, because Lady Egidia thought the topic was improper for conversation. “To be a woman.”

Elsbeth smiled. “It’s strange,” she admitted. “Messy, even. I wasn't expecting so much blood. And for it to be constant too. It lasts for almost a week. Lady Stewart had me wear these rags to catch it every time.”

“It doesn’t stop?”

“Not until it stops completely, then it comes again the next month,” Elsbeth said. Margaret nodded. She had always thought that becoming a woman would mean you bleed once, then it stopped until it was time again. She had not imagined it was constant.

Although she understood now why her friend was so embarrassed about it. To bleed at every moment for an entire week? It sounded like a nightmare. She supposed she ought to be thankful that it hadn’t happened to her yet, though it would eventually. Although, she was only twelve and if she were to be like Elsbeth, it would be another two years before it did.

“Now you’re a woman,” Margaret murmured. “You can bear children for Robert.”

“Lady Stewart said that I will only be married to him in truth when I’m sixteen,” Elsbeth answered. “She said it’s too dangerous to get pregnant before then.”

“I suppose that makes sense,” said Margaret. It was nothing she hadn’t heard before many times over. “But it will probably be a long way before they win the war and return.” Even if they had captured the French king’s own brother, there was still much to be conquered before they felt comfortable enough to sue for peace. At least, that was what her tutor said when teaching her about laws. Wars were expensive and drawn-out. You wouldn’t want to sign a treaty without being sure it was suitable to you.

“How long do you think we’ll have to wait?” Elsbeth asked, her eyes glazed over with love for Robert. Just fourteen, she was already in love with her husband.

“I don’t know,” Margaret said in a long voice. “Years, maybe.”

“But time runs fast,” Elsbeth murmured. “That’s what my mother used to say. The years go by quickly and before you know it, there is no need to wait anymore.”

Margaret smiled. “I hope so,” she said and they began to giggle for no reason at all before someone hushed them. Then, they giggled even more before finally going to sleep.