Lynette Frome kills Gerald Ford

What if Lynette Frome, a follower of Charles Manson, had succeeded in killing Gerald Ford in 1975? In OTL, she pulled the trigger, but her gun jammed. What might have happened if Ford bit the bullet?

rowmaster said:
Rockafeller was the VP for Ford right? How popular was he?
Well, he really wanted to be President, but he was involved in a scandal. He may have beaten Carter (or another Democrat) in 1976, assuming he seeks a full term. Otherwise, Reagan may get an early start. Then again, how soon after taking power did Ford appoint a VP?

Reagan would certainly have opposed Rockerfeller in the Primaries. I think that Carter Reagan in 1976 would have had a different result than Carter Reagan 1980

But that was, well, before Carter became president. And Reagan wasn't always that popular too - I once read that he wouldn't have won in 1980 if he had a different opponent.

Here's a list of presidents following Ford's assassination: Nelson Rockerfeller(Republican), 1975-1977. Ronald Reagan(Republican), 1977-1985. Richard Schweiker(Republican), 1985-1993. Jerry Brown(Democrat), 1993-2001. John McCain(Republican), 2001-2009. Rudolph Giuliani(Republican), 2009-present. Any Questions??

Evil Opus said:
Here's a list of presidents following Ford's assassination: Nelson Rockerfeller(Republican), 1975-1977. Ronald Reagan(Republican), 1977-1985. Richard Schweiker(Republican), 1985-1993. Jerry Brown(Democrat), 1993-2001. John McCain(Republican), 2001-2009. Rudolph Giuliani(Republican), 2009-present. Any Questions??
May I suggest a revision?

Nelson Rockefeller (Republican) 1975-1977
Ronald Reagan (Republican) 1977-1985
Gary Hart (Democrat) 1985-1989
Jack Kemp (Republican) 1989-1993
Jerry Brown (Democrat) 1993-2001
Barry Goldwater Jr. (Republican) 2001-2009
Mark Warner (Democrat) 2009-20XX

Or

Nelson Rockefeller (R) 1975-1977
Ronald Reagan (R) 1977-1981
Richard Schweiker (R) 1981-1985
Morris Udall (D) 1985-1993
Orrin Hatch (R) 1993-1997
Albert Gore, Jr. (D) 1997-2005
Mitt Romney (R) 2005-20XX

Option 1

Reagan wins primaries

I think he will still face Carter. I think that the perception of him as an extremist will lose him the election. Unlike 1980 in OTL Carter will not face the economic problems of the second Oil shock, or Iran or other issues (in a 1976 election) Plus actually taking the nomination from a sitting President will be very bloody.

Option 2 Rockerfeller wins primary. I think he wins in 1976 because he is less linked to Nixon and the shock of an assassination.

Option 1 cont.

Carter faces many of the same problems as in OTL but Reagan is not the GOP canddiate. He is a loser, probably by more in 76 than Ford in OTL.

Another Republican, quite likely Bush I wins. Is not as effective at lying (sorry communicating) as Reagan.

Republicans probably still win 1984 but not by as much

Option 2 cont.

Rockerfeller faces many of the problems Carter did in OTL. He is possibly beaten by Reagan in Primaries, In any event it is hard for Repbulicans to win in 1980

Not much difference

Rockefeller was the very epitome of the eastern Republican (they were actually called Rockefeller Republicans) establishment that Reagnites opposed. He is also seen as even more of an accidental President than Ford was. I suspect that Reagan would beat him and lose to Carter. The reasons for the latter have largely been covered. There was no Carter record to run against, no Iran, no "malaise". The inflation would be seen as a Republican issue and the '76 election was too close to Watergate.

Two notes re Rockefeller. First, Ford nominated John Paul Stevens in November after Douglas announced his retirement. Who does Rockefeller nominate? Second, there is no "Ford to City: Drop Dead" headline as I assume Rockefeller would sign-off of Federal funds for NYC.

You know, Rockefeller would likely lose the general election in 1976...Carter is elected, but his tem is very similar, however, he appeals more to moralists and social conservatives, maybe has a different Veep....Reagan still beats him in 1980, but politics have changed. Or, maybe Goldwater gets another shot?

You know, Rockefeller would likely lose the general election in 1976...Carter is elected, but his tem is very similar, however, he appeals more to moralists and social conservatives, maybe has a different Veep....Reagan still beats him in 1980, but politics have changed. Or, maybe Goldwater gets another shot?

I really don't think it would be likely for Reagan to challenge in the event that Rocky becomes the 39th President via a ford President . It's probably such an hit to the American Psyche that Reagan would dare risk the political capital of running against. Im pretty sure that an well financed and well expeirend canidate would be able to make Penut Butter out of Carter. However the most pressing thing would be who he would pick as his Vice President, cuz they would be taking office in 1979 upon his death...Any Ideas on any potential canidates?

Might the medical treatement and insentive to live of being President have kept Rocky alive longer had he been elected in 1976?

Alternatively might the stress have hastened his death?

By the way in New York State the super harsh laws on drugs are called Rockerfella laws, would, could this form of prohibiltion have been harsher at a Federal level than in OTL?

Might the medical treatement and insentive to live of being President have kept Rocky alive longer had he been elected in 1976?

Alternatively might the stress have hastened his death?

By the way in New York State the super harsh laws on drugs are called Rockerfella laws, would, could this form of prohibiltion have been harsher at a Federal level than in OTL?

Im sure the stress of dealing with the same issues that Carter faced from in his term in OTL, and since he probably had his fatal heart attack while he was sleeping with his 25 year old aide. I just can't see Rocky giving up his adulterous ways once ascending to the office(Hell nobody else has:D)

But I could plausibly seem some type of legislation being passed on Anti-drug use that probably resembled the Rockefeller Drug Laws. I also could see Rocky however, bringing back Nixon's plan for Comprehensive Healthcare Reform and getting it passed along with maybe a infrastructure based stimulus plan to jumpstart the economy. However, one of the biggest butterflies would be that Rocky probably wouldn't nominate Volcker for Fed Chairman which could have huge ramifications later on.

So if Connally does become the 40th President on Rocky's death in 1979, does he endorse the failed Whip Inflation Now plan or do something drastic in the Hostage Crisis that results in a lot of hostage deaths? Who would the Dem's nominate to run against him?

I really don't think it would be likely for Reagan to challenge in the event that Rocky becomes the 39th President via a ford President . It's probably such an hit to the American Psyche that Reagan would dare risk the political capital of running against. Im pretty sure that an well financed and well expeirend canidate would be able to make Penut Butter out of Carter. However the most pressing thing would be who he would pick as his Vice President, cuz they would be taking office in 1979 upon his death...Any Ideas on any potential canidates?

I agree that Reagan will likely not run in the 1976 of this timeliner, but he might try to be nominated as Rocky's VP candiate.

However, I still expect Rockefeller to lose in 1976 to Carter.

I think Rocky would choose Reagan as his VP via 25th amendment. I don´t know if that would stop Reagan from running against Rockefeller. i see 1976 G.O.P. nominee Reagan having with running atop a divided party and we have the same presidents as OTL. Reagan could have easily won with Southern support.

I think the Republicans have a decent chance of winning in 1976 due to sympathy of Ford's death.

Yeah...I think the sympathy vote for Ford would be enough to change the results of OTL 1976 General Election seeing how close it was. Having someone who really wanted to be President would help as well.

I agree that Reagan will likely not run in the 1976 of this timeliner, but he might try to be nominated as Rocky's VP candiate.

However, I still expect Rockefeller to lose in 1976 to Carter.

Im not sure about that Wendell...With Rocky being Prez not only do you have an extremley well qualified former Governor of a Big State but your also able to swing alot of Northern Moderates who were unsure about nominating a Southerner like Carter. It all depends on what Reagan wants to do really, being Governor of a big state is a large enough platform already. Ronnie trully did not need the Vice Presidency, but if Rocky is able to convice that it would be for the good of the party and that it would be the only way they can ensure Victory then I think he might go for it. Besides, Ronnie pretty much chilled during Carter's term in otl anyway, so he might see it as an oppurtunity to expand his foriegn policy credentials.

I think its more unlikely for Reagan to accept the Vice Presidency than for Carter to loose the General. He does need to give the Conservatives something, and I think Connally,Tower, Bush would all be pretty strong choices.