LT and Reggie: The Twin Towers of Defense, a Giants Dynasty

What if Reggie White, who became a legendary defensive lineman on the Eagles and later the Green Bay Packers, was drafted out of the USFL by the Giants? It almost happened IRL, and Bill Parcells, at the time a rookie coach coming off a 3-12-1 season in 1983, begged Giants general manager and majordomo George Young to select White. Young decided to select Gary Zimmerman, an offensive lineman who filled a bigger need at the time and who was an elite player in his own right. But what if George Young, who spared Parcells the sack after an awful 1983, has a change of heart and listens to his rookie coach...

U.S.F.L. Draft Results: Giants Select White with Third Pick

By Frank Litsky, The New York Times

East Rutherford, N.J., June 5--In a surprise, the Giants eschewed improving their offensive unit and chose Reggie White of the Memphis Showboats, another defensive lineman, with the third pick of the U.S.F.L. and C.F.L. Supplemental Draft. There were rumors that Giants general manager George Young favored Gary Zimmerman of the Los Angeles Express, an offensive lineman, to fix a unit that allowed 49 sacks during the regular season. However, White was too good to pass up.

"We weighed all the options and the White-Zimmerman choice was honestly the most difficult player selection I have made since I joined the Giants," Young said. "Both players have All-Pro potential without a shadow of a doubt. Coach Parcells made a persuasive case for White, and changed my mind."

"I am especially pleased to potentially add Reggie to this defense next year," said a surprisingly upbeat Parcells. "Mr. Young and Mr. Mara just have to work out compensation with the Express. If I can get White and LT on the same side of the defense rushing the passer, and get Leonard Marshall to lose some weight, I could have an intimidating defense in two years. Mr. Young also got me Carl Banks, a really talented linebacker from Michigan State, in the first round, so I have top talent to work with. Now we just have to put it all together."

The Giants considered trading up to the top of the supplemental draft for the rights to draft quarterback Steve Young from the Express, but the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were fully committed to Young. When the Oilers, who held the second pick, selected Mike Rozier of the Pittsburgh Maulers, the dilemma immediately entered Young's mind.

"I believed that the Oilers would select White with the second pick and there would not be a dispute about our choice," Young said. "We were honestly surprised that Rozier was selected before White or Zimmerman so the scenario that Coach Parcells presented to me prior to the supplemental draft came to pass."

White is still under contract with the Express and it is believed that Alan Harmon and Bill Daniels, the Express ownership group, are seeking $3 million from the Giants to buy out White's rights. Young admitted that this would be a sticking point.

"Three million dollars for a player is a significant amount, especially for the Giants," Young admitted. "I will discuss potential financial options with Mr. Mara on my end and Mr. Harmon and Mr. Daniels in Los Angeles for possible compensation so Reggie White will wear a Giants uniform in 1984. Even if we successfully come to terms on a buy out, we will also need to negotiate a separate contract with White, who will seek sizable compensation. So I wish I had better news for our fans, but we are still a long way from acquiring White."

Parcells was more bullish on the possibility White would be a Giant this fall. "I'll donate my salary for the cause and coach for peanuts if it means I can get White here."

And Zimmerman did not even play for the g-men...

An already great D made even greater.....more than the 2 Superbowls of that era ...A D spike of like the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens....

Of course, the question is, can the break past the San Francisco 49ers?

Well, regardless, it's going to be an interesting decade in the NFC East, and the NFC in general.

Of course, the question is, can the break past the San Francisco 49ers?

Well, regardless, it's going to be an interesting decade in the NFC East, and the NFC in general.

I think in '88 they can, I don't recall that they even made the playoffs in '88 - they were 10-6 but a number of teams were and I think they got left out, IIRC. , I know the Bears beat the Eagles that year in the Fog Bowl in one wild card game. If they win the division it will either force the 49ers to visit Chicago that day or to visit New York, since the 49ers were only 10-6.