Redcoat

Banned
You're probably right. "Free speech in the name of diversity" could be a major thing. We already know that Diversitarians encourage "alternative viewpoints" even if they think those same viewpoints as wrong.
Sounds better then OTL in that respect, I feel like the whole "paradox of tolerance" thing is bullshit. I feel like TTL I'd be a bleeding-heart Diversitarian ha.

Sounds better then OTL in that respect, I feel like the whole "paradox of tolerance" thing is bullshit. I feel like TTL I'd be a bleeding-heart Diversitarian ha.

I'm imagining it now. Instead of a "you suck! No, you suck" slanging match, they have a "you're entitled to your viewpoint even though you are totally wrong! Thank you, I believe the same of your viewpoint!" slanging match. We in OTL would see such a thing as being totally ridiculous, just as the people in ATL would think the same of our world's political discourse.

Redcoat

Banned
I'm imagining it now. Instead of a "you suck! No, you suck" slanging match, they have a "you're entitled to your viewpoint even though you are totally wrong! Thank you, I believe the same of your viewpoint!" slanging match. We in OTL would see such a thing as being totally ridiculous, just as the people in ATL would think the same of our world's political discourse.
I feel like internet slapfights would be a lot more peaceful. Hypothetically trolls won't get a rise out of people in the same way as OTL because they'll go "You're entitled to your opinion no matter how fucking stupid." Exposure to strange ideologies from all spectrums might also stop the polarization of politics OTL.

I mean aside from the whole mandatory riots thing (which I can deal with), this sounds like a nice world. I don't see any downsides to it compared to OTL.

I feel like internet slapfights would be a lot more peaceful. Hypothetically trolls won't get a rise out of people in the same way as OTL because they'll go "You're entitled to your opinion no matter how fucking stupid." Exposure to strange ideologies from all spectrums might also stop the polarization of politics OTL.

Or encourage polarisation even further, depending on the country.

How many people will genuinely be tolerant, and how many will have a "more diverse than thou" attitude is yet to be seen.

I mean aside from the whole mandatory riots thing (which I can deal with), this sounds like a nice world. I don't see any downsides to it compared to OTL.

Yet.

Besides, diversitarianism works differently in different countries. We have the liberal California brand, which seems to be "embrace the multiculturalism".

Then, we have the middle-of-the-road Anglo-American brand, of "diverse but separate", where immigrants are encouraged to come; however, not only are they discouraged from assimilating, they have to live in dedicated neighbourhoods.

Then there's the authoritarian Russian brand, which, from what little we can glean, is "every ethnicity is precious, and cannot be allowed to mix lest they become diluted. Oh, and all societists should be phlogisticated, except that wouldn't be properly diversitarian - in that case, only phlogisticate most of the societists and contain the rest".

Who knows what everyone else's diversitarianism is like.

Redcoat

Banned
how many will have a "more diverse than thou" attitude is yet to be seen.
I could see some people would be like that, seems like you can't ignore ignorant snobs in any TL. But how would those kinda people act?

Yet.

Besides, diversitarianism works differently in different countries. We have the liberal California brand, which seems to be "embrace the multiculturalism".
I can only think of the cuisine there.

I could see some people would be like that, seems like you can't ignore ignorant snobs in any TL. But how would those kinda people act?

Probably the same way they do IOTL. They have collections of multicultural art, books, etc., which they just have to show off, but don't actually care for them. Especially for the actual creators.

I can only think of the cuisine there.

It's, like, fusion cuisine TO THE EXTREME, dude!

Redcoat

Banned
I'm really, really wondering how both a Diversitarian and a Societist would react to OTL. Just transport them here for a day, and interview them afterwards about their opinions.

The reference to Areians shows that Diversitarianism will celebrate and incorporate ideologies that would be considered fringe and bizarre IOTL, and give them a voice. One wonders if this won’t lead to cases where attempts at ideological takeover happen in Diversitarian democracies.

I didn't read it as suggesting the author approved of Areianism or expected anyone else in their enlightened age to do so. ICBW.

xsampa

Banned
The Combine is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Here's my stab at its maximum extent.
North America: Carolina
South America: minus Venezuela and French Guayana
Africa: Kaapstat
Europe: spain Portugal
Asia: Philippines, Nusantara

The Combine is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Here's my stab at its maximum extent.

South America alone would still cover a population more than three times of what the old Soviet Union could muster, and they would start off their cold war with the Diversitarian powers with far better infrastructure, far more developed industries, and a more sophisticated financial system than what Tsarist Russia left Lenin to contend with.

You forgot Danubia and the Ottoman Empire (which covers most of North Africa).

The Combine does conquer nations, as is alluded to.

Also, it has almost all of a continent plus more on other continents. I’d hardly call that small. I also think it’ll grab more of Africa, and I highly doubt Spain and Portugal are part of it.

You forgot Danubia and the Ottoman Empire (which covers most of North Africa).

But neither of them are in the Combine. Danubia splits with the Combine over policy, and the Ottoman Empire is replaced by the “Eternal State” rather than the Combine. Both may be “Societist Powers”, but neither are parts of the Combine.