Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Constitution was signed and drafted on February 8th with the main issue afterwords being the new leadership of the Confederacy. This had not been given time for debate because as soon as the last delegate had ratified the constitution, the doors to the convention hall bursted in a grand notion and all the delegates had turned to the new entrants where they were stunned to see President Robert Toombs, the man who's nation they had just signed to secede. After Lincoln's election Toombs had indeed spent the next three months in Georgia where his friend Alexander Stephens had been a participant of the state convention of secession. Toombs chose not to get directly involved however as he felt that a prime opportunity was needed for him to take control. At the announcement of the Montgomery Convention, Toombs managed to sneak into town incognito and when word of the new Confederate constitution being finalized was spread, Toombs decided that now was his chance to take charge and claim glory. Toombs walked to the podium in the center of the room to the stunned delegates where he began what many historians have called the infamous "Patriot's Speech." "My friends and fellow southern gentlemen. Last November the foolish masses of the North have betrayed our country and have chosen the tyrant Abraham Lincoln to enter office as my successor. Said election was merely the result of traitors within our ranks such as Seymour and Bell, for I was the one destined to continue the fight for the constitution. Now with Washington fallen to the sinful pack of devils that are the Republicans, I have chosen to abandon the hive of greed that is Washington and have chosen to join you, the real American people. For I am a patriot and I will fight for the rights of liberty and freedom."

Despite being for a morally repugnant cause, I believe this moment would make for an ABSOLUTELY great scene in a film with the right people making it.

Be interesting is the Czech Nationalist movement starts in Texas BEFORE spreading back to the Habsburg homelands.

More on the status of the Czechs will be revealed soon with the upcoming Second War of German Unification. As for Czech Nationalism it definitely exists within Bohemia but the problem is that they're under heavy attack from Franz Ferdinand and the rest of Austria. In Texas Czech culture and Nationalism is able to thrive without any restrictions. This will lead to some of the leading Czech Nationalists in the 20th century coming from Texas. For now let's just say that the future of Czechia will get complicated with Germany involved as Wilhelm sees Bohemia as his rightful territory due to historical boundaries with the HRE.

If Lincolon plays his cards right, the CSA won't for more than one year.

Yeah... no. Not happening. It's going to last longer. There's no way this ends that shortly.

Very few US civil war scenarios do. The shortest one I read took 18 months and that was with Britain aiding the Union.

Sadly as much as I would like for an extremely short civil war it will not be happening. Even under the best case scenario where Confederate borders remain where they are now it would still lead into 1862 at the very least to get the job done. After all there's no way I would've kept on hinting of the grand conflict of the Civil War if it was just a couple of months. Would've been called the Dixie Rebellion than a true Civil War. Finally I should note that so far events have mostly preceeded near OTL with major exceptions being Texas not joining and Toombs presence in the CSA as president. Ripples and immense changes will start to form next Civil War post with the end of May having an entirely different scenario than OTL. Mainly the allegiance of some OTL Confederate states.

Will Lincoln sponsor some sort of graduated emancipation or buying the slaves from the border states?

Seems more like the EP will show up during this war, then possibly TTL's analogue of the 13th Admendment with the way everything else has been talking about America violently ridding itself of slavery while Texas took the very gradual approach.

It's more than likely that Lincoln will pass the Emancipation Proclamation sometime in 1862/1863 while the 13th (14th TTL) amendment will get passed at the end of the war. The real problem is how the 15th and 16th amendment are going to get passed with the "controversy" of citizenship and voting rights. Also remember that if more slave states stay in the Union then the heavier the opposition for the passing of an amendment. Slavery will be abolished. However the real fight will begin with Civil Rights.

Ok, caught up and ready for more.

A hint of a Texan Hawaii perhaps? Time will tell.

Reading this it seems to me Imperial Germany will survive into the 21st century. A far better fate then OTL, that's for sure.

Well, it seems the early part of the Great Depression might be a bit worse in TTL if the election has a bit of controversy around it. That'll be a fun chapter to read.

It probably isn't going to happen, but I'd love to see this be a timeline where Virginia secedes but North Carolina tries to stay with the Union. Would be so much fun to watch the Confederacy try to fend of the north while conquering the one Union state left in their midst.

Anywho, an enjoyable pair of updates, and much as Toombs deserves every bit of hate he is going to get in this world I need to give him props for showmanship. Wouldn't want to be him when the Civil War ends though, I doubt the Union soldiers who find him are going to let him live.

Hawaii will be dealt with sometime by the end of the 19th century. As for Texan Hawaii I will say that it stands a greater chance of happening with Texan California and the lower U.S investment in the Pacific than OTL.

The Great Depression is going to be far more different TTL due to the different Great War and in some cases might not have the same damaging effects. I will say for now that the economy is a major reason that Long was elected as President. Though the controversy with his election is more due to Democratic infighting since Long is a Radical Outsider and due to Long's past activities within the state of Louisiana.

Virginia and North Carolina will be dealt with in 3 American chapters from now. Their roles in the Civil War and those of the overall border states will be far more different than OTL. And it's all due to the actions of one man who I've been having make regular apperances in this timeline. A huge hint lies in the last sentence.

Thanks! Toombs is overall a fun character to write as he's not a maniacal villain that wants to lead the CSA just for slavery but genuinely feels that the future of the South is being threatened. It's going to make future textbook and narrative chapters with him really fun. Though in the eyes of the United States he will be seen as the greatest traitor for decades to come. Yeah...Bobby may need to catch the fastest boat ride to Cuba once an Appomattox event comes.

Despite being for a morally repugnant cause, I believe this moment would make for an ABSOLUTELY great scene in a film with the right people making it.

Thanks for the comment, you actually gave me a really great idea for a movie in a future pop culture post. It will most likely be called "Burying Dixie."

Virginia and North Carolina will be dealt with in 3 American chapters from now. Their roles in the Civil War and those of the overall border states will be far more different than OTL. And it's all due to the actions of one man who I've been having make regular apperances in this timeline. A huge hint lies in the last sentence.

Thanks! Toombs is overall a fun character to write as he's not a maniacal villain that wants to lead the CSA just for slavery but genuinely feels that the future of the South is being threatened. It's going to make future textbook and narrative chapters with him really fun. Though in the eyes of the United States he will be seen as the greatest traitor for decades to come. Yeah...Bobby may need to catch the fastest boat ride to Cuba once an Appomattox event comes.

Lee's not going to join the Confederacy is he?

Yeah, suddenly Benedict Arnold is not looking so bad to many people right about now. Again, Toombs will be the answer to a trivia question ITTL...

And it should be states, not nations, that remained neutral, Kaiser Chris.

Other than that, good chapters (we should be seeing the deaths of some of the Texan founding fathers soon, given that we are in the 1860s (Sam Houston died in 1863)). This decade might be known as the "Bloody Sixties."

One other TL that did have an independent Texas was Lone Star Republic by Kris Overstreet on Google Groups (that had a PoD of 1842, IIRC; it's somewhere on the alternatehistory.com website). Don't change the title, though; it's a good one.

1860 Official Republic of Texas Census

Arizona: 73,258
California: 1,429,748
Deseret: 239,065
Texas: 2,104,215

Total Population: 3,843,286

Top 10 Cities of the Republic of Texas in terms of Population 1860
  1. San Francisco: 349,233
  2. San Antonio: 303,236
  3. Galveston: 254,871
  4. New Braunfels: 157,325
  5. Nacogdoches: 113,589
  6. Monterrey: 108,232
  7. Fredricksburg: 66,246
  8. San Diego: 60,444
  9. West: 52,168
  10. Salt Lake City: 46,531

Just a little taste about how much the demographics of Texas have changed based on Chapter 68. The high changes as previously said are due to Texas' extremely liberal immigration policies, high birth rates all around, and counting of natives as citizens. Slaves are not counted in the census but there are around 100,000 slaves in Texas during 1860. Chapter 70 will come out on the weekend.

Also in regards to founding Texans we will have some die off in the 60's, though I don't plan for that to happen until immediately after the Mexican War. Meanwhile some Texans like Crockett and Travis will have their lifespans be longer due to them staying alive for several decades. When the 1870's ends we will start to see a new generation of Texans start to takeover with Louis Philippe being a prime case. While I will include plenty of historical Texans, Utah people, Arizonans, and Californians, there will be plenty of more OC's due to the new waves of immigration. Stick around and soon we'll see the Civil War and the Mexican War coming. Here's a sneak peek of future chapters:

Chapter 70 The State of Mexico Chapter 71 Asia and New Imperialism. Chapter 72 Fort Sumter and Petersburg Chapter 73 The German Question. Some other chapters may come before or in between but these will be definite posts in the future.

Speaking of Slavery, will the exodus of Confederate into Texas affect when and how the emancipation will go down in Texas. Because I see this ending the same way it did in the Empire of Brazil IRL.

Oh, happy Texas Independence Day!!!

Happy Texas Independence Day to all of our Readers!!! I have to admit that I kind of dropped the ball for today even though it's TTL Texas' big day. I thought that Independence Day was March 6th and was probably going to have the Mexican War chapter come out on that day. Unfortunately I was quite busy and wasn't able to work too much today. Tomorrow I'll try to include a little special to highlight celebrations TTL along with a speech by President Seguin. Feel so bad about this missed opportunity. Hopefully I'll remember next year.

Speaking of Texas Independence, I'd like to come at you guys today with a little PSA. Last Saturday I was able to travel with my dad to go see the San Jacinto Monument in San Jacinto, Texas. Unfortunately while the battlefield isn't well kept like the Civil War ones up North, the museum still is a great spot of Texan history and includes several cool artifacts such as Santa Anna's sword and personal possessions of Houston and some of the other Founding Father's, along with several awesome antique weapons. At the same time you can travel right down the street to go see the famous USS Texas, the only Battleship to have served in both world wars. Unfortunately while the monument is free it doesn't receive that much public funding through donations or taxpayers dollars. In addition there was supposed to be a planned expansion museum in the area to add even more exhibits and artifacts, but due to low support that's been put on hold even though plans were drawn in 2013. While there are organizations such as Daughters of the Republic that help contribute their time to the cause, it's not enough to keep our great monument to independence running as to how it's supposed to. So in the end I'd like to ask you guys that if you are visiting the Houston area or your driving near San Jacinto, that you take the time to visit this important historical landmark to Texan independence. It's a one of a kind opportunity that I'm sure any history buff wouldn't forget. This is not an official ad by any organization, but rather a plea from a patriotic Texan who'd like to see his state's nationhood receive some love outside the Alamo. Come today or we'll send President Crockett to hunt you down!!! JK, seriously though Happy Texas Independence Day!

P.S Driving through the area you will experience a high smell of chemicals due to nearby refineries. Hey, it's not Texas without our oil.

San_Jacinto_Monument.jpg
i-zrdtMzg.jpg

Happy Texas Independence Day to all of our Readers!!! I have to admit that I kind of dropped the ball for today even though it's TTL Texas' big day. I thought that Independence Day was March 6th and was probably going to have the Mexican War chapter come out on that day. Unfortunately I was quite busy and wasn't able to work too much today. Tomorrow I'll try to include a little special to highlight celebrations TTL along with a speech by President Seguin. Feel so bad about this missed opportunity. Hopefully I'll remember next year.

Speaking of Texas Independence, I'd like to come at you guys today with a little PSA. Last Saturday I was able to travel with my dad to go see the San Jacinto Monument in San Jacinto, Texas. Unfortunately while the battlefield isn't well kept like the Civil War ones up North, the museum still is a great spot of Texan history and includes several cool artifacts such as Santa Anna's sword and personal possessions of Houston and some of the other Founding Father's, along with several awesome antique weapons. At the same time you can travel right down the street to go see the famous USS Texas, the only Battleship to have served in both world wars. Unfortunately while the monument is free it doesn't receive that much public funding through donations or taxpayers dollars. In addition there was supposed to be a planned expansion museum in the area to add even more exhibits and artifacts, but due to low support that's been put on hold even though plans were drawn in 2013. While there are organizations such as Daughters of the Republic that help contribute their time to the cause, it's not enough to keep our great monument to independence running as to how it's supposed to. So in the end I'd like to ask you guys that if you are visiting the Houston area or your driving near San Jacinto, that you take the time to visit this important historical landmark to Texan independence. It's a one of a kind opportunity that I'm sure any history buff wouldn't forget. This is not an official ad by any organization, but rather a plea from a patriotic Texan who'd like to see his state's nationhood receive some love outside the Alamo. Come today or we'll send President Crockett to hunt you down!!! JK, seriously though Happy Texas Independence Day!

P.S Driving through the area you will experience a high smell of chemicals due to nearby refineries. Hey, it's not Texas without our oil.

San_Jacinto_Monument.jpg
i-zrdtMzg.jpg
Happy independence day. Yes I'll second that san Jacinto and the Texas are very cool to go see. I've been there, the Alamo, Gonzales, LA bahia in Goliad, Washington on the Brazos, and the coleto Creek battlefield. If you've not been to those I would highly recommend it. Especially Washington-on-the-Brazos

So in the end I'd like to ask you guys that if you are visiting the Houston area or your driving near San Jacinto, that you take the time to visit this important historical landmark to Texan independence. It's a one of a kind opportunity that I'm sure any history buff wouldn't forget. This is not an official ad by any organization, but rather a plea from a patriotic Texan who'd like to see his state's nationhood receive some love outside the Alamo. Come today or we'll send President Crockett to hunt you down!!! JK, seriously though Happy Texas Independence Day!

You have just given another good reason to start a road trip starting from Texas, other than seeing NASA and Funimation. Although I do wish to see how the Houston Rodeo Show compares to the Calgary Stampede in Alberta Canada.

Just wondering but is it true that there are ranches devoted to endangered wild life from Africa?

You have just given another good reason to start a road trip starting from Texas, other than seeing NASA and Funimation. Although I do wish to see how the Houston Rodeo Show compares to the Calgary Stampede in Alberta Canada.

Just wondering but is it true that there are ranches devoted to endangered wild life from Africa?
Always wanted to go to Calgary Stampede but I haven't. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is huge though it is definitely something to go see if you like that sort of stuff I went there every year in high school when I showed animals and it was always a good time.

Hmmmmmmm I don't know if we have any for endangering African wildlife but we do have several exotic ranches that are filled with African animals as well as animals from other part of the world for hunting

Come today or we'll send President Crockett to hunt you down!!!
I'm glad I have friends in the Sasquatch community. If any group can keep me safe from you Texans and your crazy presidents... =P

Jokes aside, if I'm ever down in Texas I'll make an effort to at least see at least one of the two. Oh, and happy belated Texas Independence day.