London builds the Millennium Tower

what if London had built this instead of the Gherkin. any difference or nothing?

Mmtower.jpg

A radical architect terrorist cell hijacks an Airbus 320 & flies into the building as an act of protest...

It's quite a lot uglier tbh... anyway, so many properly built skyscrapers are going up this year that the increased height is nothing particularly to fret over... In 2007 alone, 3 buildings that would surpass the current British recordholder, as well as 1 which is a similar height, are going up in London...

Bright day
The curent building is quite an interesting design, though not much pleasing from outside.

Does anybody have any links for Millenium Tower?

Its looks far cooler and more futuristic than the sodding Gherkin... But then the Gherkin garnered millions in things like publicity and (believe it or not) tourism on its unique design.

Millennium tower looks better to me. I like it! Perhaps London suddenly gets the taste for skyscrapers in the future and subsequently begins to build more?

Nah, I don't like it...

It doesn't fit with the rest of the skyline.
Sticks out like a sore thumb.

Also, why is it there seems to be an unspoken rule these days, that no large building can be made of anything other than steel and glass? OK, I'm not asking or a 60s concrete flat block (yuk), but something that fits better in a city like London. Something a little more like the Empire State Building, even, than the bloody Gherkin, or this thing.

It doesn't fit with the rest of the skyline.
Sticks out like a sore thumb.

Also, why is it there seems to be an unspoken rule these days, that no large building can be made of anything other than steel and glass? OK, I'm not asking or a 60s concrete flat block (yuk), but something that fits better in a city like London. Something a little more like the Empire State Building, even, than the bloody Gherkin, or this thing.

That's what I was thinking- I like steel and glass used creatively (I quite like the Gherkin) but it would be cool to see a Gothic skyscraper :D

Perhaps London suddenly gets the taste for skyscrapers in the future and subsequently begins to build more?

It's not just about a fashion for skyscrapers- tons of people would be happy to build them in London now. The thing is that if you want to build a new skyscraper it mustn't obstruct a Protected View.

HueyLong

Banned
My god! Just saw the Gherkin......

You guys have that thing on your skyline!?!?

Some British nationalists should really hijack a plane and wipe that thing off the face of the planet.....