Live Aid: changes to lineup

It's the 35th anniversary of Live Aid. An unforgettable moment for those of us who were in our salad days around 1985, regardless of what you think of the whole charity thing.

As great as it was, though, like anything else it wasn't perfect. So here's some tweaks. I admit without apology that these are based entirely on my own likes and dislikes.

Usually when I do this, I speculate about John Lennon, Elvis Presley, Marvin Gaye and others being alive; for this one I decided to forgo that and work only with people who were actually available in 1985 and who didn't have a schedule conflict or drug addiction (Boy George) or some other thing precluding them from performing. I'm also working only with the artists who appeared on the DVD, since me and the missus just watched it this weekend (with the exception, of course, that it would be nice if the Led Zeppelin reunion wasn't famously horrible). So:

Re the London concert:
-Replace Sting's set with one by the Police. Assume they were able to overcome their differences for the day and the cause.

-Take Phil Collins out altogether; assume he has a schedule conflict or something. That way we're spared his silly-ass gesture of flying across to Philadelphia on the Concorde to perform there too.

-Replace Dire Straits (ugh) with the Kinks. Apparently someone had suggested inviting them, but Bob Geldof thought they weren't "famous enough." This is a very UK attitude; the Brits have been weirdly disdainful of the Kinks since the late 70s. Maybe someone convinces Bob that they're much bigger in America.

-Have the Rolling Stones (again, differences overcome) go on after Elton John. Paul McCartney still closes the show but is joined onstage by Geldof, Pete Townshend, David Bowie and Mick Jagger (the last in lieu of Alison Moyet).

Re the Philadelphia concert:
-Replace REO Speedwagon (double ugh) with the Talking Heads. ("REO Speedwagon" sounds like one of those names companies come up with when they merge.) The Talking Heads were originally supposed to be there.

-Replace the Thompson Twins with Billy Joel, who was supposed to be there. Maybe he's joined by the Four Seasons for "Uptown Girl."

-Move Duran Duran and Hall and Oates/Temptations a little earlier in the afternoon/evening.

-Replace Phil Collins' Philly set with some acoustic guitar-toting dude - Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, or James Taylor would all be fine here. Paul Simon is the best bet, since he was supposed to be there.

-Replace the screeching that is Patti Labelle with Diana Ross.

-Where Mick Jagger did his set in Philadelphia, put in Michael Jackson, ideally with his brothers.

-Bob Dylan's closing appearance: since Keith Richards and Ron Wood are in London, he's accompanied by Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson (who were supposed to be there).

-And for the love of all that is lovable, get rid of Jack Nicholson and Bette Midler and their cheesy, unfunny Hollywood-style introductions, and bring out more people like Chevy Chase who actually know how to introduce a rock band - Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy, Steve Martin, Robin Williams, really anyone who is from the Saturday Night Live universe.

Re London

Have the remaining Beatles reunite as a surprise.
I'd be down for this too. Obviously they couldn't really perform as "the Beatles", but it would be a reunion in all but name. That said, keep in mind that the 80s wasn't the best time for the remaining Fabs - Paul's creative juices would take a dive between his inspired early 80s work and his resurgence with the late 80s Flowers in the dirt, George was so disillusioned with the music industry at this point, and Ringo was battling alcoholism at this time.

3 pretty well known additions:

* Talking Heads - a notable omission, huge band at the time. Kinda surprising they weren't there in OTL.

* Deep Purple - story is that Ritchie Blackmore put the stop on a reformed DP playing Live Aid. A different & more agreeable Blackmore means they play. (Ok, virging on ASB here, given his.. err.. prickly nature)

* Pink Floyd - a tough one, but if creating The Wall (in all it's forms) & it's follow-up are less acrimonious than OTL, they'd be there.

3 reunions that would be a little less well known:

* The Velvet Underground - Lou Reed was pretty well known, but the Velvets hadn't had their mid/late 80s renaissance in fandom just yet. John, Lou, Sterling, Moe, Doug Yule & Nico, anyone?? Setlist: Rock'n'Roll, Sweet Jane, Pale Blue Eyes, Femme Fatale, close with What Goes On or Heroin. (Depending on whether the organisers let them play Heroin).

* Roxy Music with Brian Eno - if the others can convince Eno to play live.. maybe?

* Genesis with Peter Gabriel - maybe a set of old Genesis, post-Peter Genesis & Peter solo?

3 Rough (underground) ideas

* R.E.M. Maybe too early? But if they have some flukey hit this early, then maybe..

* The Cure. Too weird, maybe?

* Hüsker Dü - on their way to hard-edged guitar pop, maybe a little early & still a little too punk.. but if they had a breakthrough hit in early 1985, who knows?

Interesting ideas. Husker Du and really Lou Reed/VU might be a little far out of the mainstream for the kind of wide net Bob Geldof was hoping to cast. REM and the Cure would be more likely, especially if they'd had hit records by then (I remember a friend seeing REM open for the Police in 1984). Peter Gabriel with Genesis is a no-brainer, Bryan Ferry was there, so Roxy Music might be doable, even without Brian Eno.

Genesis with Peter Gabriel - maybe a set of old Genesis, post-Peter Genesis & Peter solo?
This wouldn't be that far out of left field, given that Genesis DID reunite with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett a couple of years before Live Aid IOTL for a one-off concert. Even had Peter and Phil switching instruments for a song Phil did lead vocals on (Turn It On Again)

Interesting ideas. Husker Du and really Lou Reed/VU might be a little far out of the mainstream for the kind of wide net Bob Geldof was hoping to cast. REM and the Cure would be more likely, especially if they'd had hit records by then (I remember a friend seeing REM open for the Police in 1984). Peter Gabriel with Genesis is a no-brainer, Bryan Ferry was there, so Roxy Music might be doable, even without Brian Eno.

Part of my idea was speculating whether Live Aid could have been a breakthrough performance for *some other band* that didn't play Live Aid in OTL. I was thinking some band in the American indie scene that had some pop nous.. so REM & Hüsker Dü sprung to mind right away.. but it could've been Camper Van Beethoven.

As for the Lou Reed/VU idea.. yep, a long shot. They're a little left-field as an idea, but with a setlist like I suggested (audience friendly pop, mostly).. maybe.. perhaps billed as "Lou Reed gets his old band together again" - much to the chagrin of Cale & Morrison.
A tough sell, given that the 80s revival in VU fandom (spurred by archival releases VU & Another View) was still to come...

Tears for Fears dropped out that morning because 2 members of their touring band quit. Maybe they stay one more day (and that butterflies George Thorogood) ... does TFF have a big benefit from their set in Philadelphia??

Tears for Fears dropped out that morning because 2 members of their touring band quit. Maybe they stay one more day (and that butterflies George Thorogood) ... does TFF have a big benefit from their set in Philadelphia??
Maybe they get properly associated with "Mad World" as opposed to the Gary Jules cover gaining more traction?

I'd be down for this too. Obviously they couldn't really perform as "the Beatles", but it would be a reunion in all but name. That said, keep in mind that the 80s wasn't the best time for the remaining Fabs - Paul's creative juices would take a dive between his inspired early 80s work and his resurgence with the late 80s Flowers in the dirt, George was so disillusioned with the music industry at this point, and Ringo was battling alcoholism at this time.
Yeah I agree with you, really the only way they would probably play is likely under a different name, it would be a one-off concert, definitely. Since as you said, George was disilusioned with the music industry and Ringo was battling alcoholism. They would likely play songs they hadn't played live as The Beatles (Sgt Pepper, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, etc). Maybe it would put them in good enough relations for more to come out of the Anthology sessions.

(And did you know that even after John died they still thought the Beatles would reunite with Julian taking his dad's place)