Little known historical figures and lost opportunities

I would like to receive suggestions on relatively obscure characters who could have had a significant impact if things had turned out differently.

Let's start with Carlota Joaquina, the wife of João VI of Portugal. She is relatively unknown outside Brazil, and even in her native Spain, she is not well-known.
I find her story fascinating because she had the potential to achieve great things if she had been more diplomatic or politically astute. Unfortunately, her impossible temper and terrible relationship with her husband, the king, as well as her absolutist views, worked against her. The only admirable trait she had was her ambition, I'll give her that.

She was the first Spanish royal to ever travel to the Americas. She went there at a time when Spanish control over the region was crumbling. She even had local support to rule the former Viceroyalty of La Plata. The circumstances were exceptional; however, nothing came out of Carlota's ambitions, Carlotism, the case for Carlota as Queen of La Plata, or custodian of Spain’s possessions in the continent, never worked out because of Carlota…

Everything seems so clear in retrospective, yet I can't help but notice the many mistakes she made along the way. She remained loyal to her Spanish family, yet they never provided any meaningful help. She should have come to an arrangement with the British, who were the only ones in a position to assist her, but she despised them. She should have been more civil with her husband and the Portuguese court, instead of alienating everyone, which left her with no supporters. She took sides with her second son instead of the heir, Pedro. The list goes on. Can’t say if all these changes could have been possible without a personality switch or just receiving better advice, this can be left to debate.

I believe that if she had played her cards right and compromised, she could have secured her throne in Buenos Aires. However, whether it would have lasted is another matter. History would have drastically changed, at least in that part of the world, and she would have become a chapter in a history book instead of the footnote she is now.

Lists like these would probably be a good place to start:

There are also rebellions and revolutions that failed. The leaders or otherwise involved people could have been a big deal if their movements succeed. For example, I have a soft spot for Wang Cong'er

A fitting example would be an unnamed civilian that prolonged the Siege of Vicksburg in the American Civil War. According to Earl J. Hess' book, Storming Vicksburg, the chaotic rebel retreat into Vicksburg almost culminated in a rather pathetic surrender. See, the army commander Pemberton or division commander Martin L. Smith had made a big mistake while arraying their battle lines. Apparently, Smith heard Pemberton order him to the far right of the army while Pemberton claimed he ordered Smith to deploy to the far left of the army.

Regardless of the truth, an entire section of Vicksburg's defenses were left completely empty until an unnamed civilian rode up to rebel brigade commander Francis Shoup, who just so happened to be herding cattle into the city for siege, that the Yankees were coming and that there was no defenders. Alarmed, Shoup sent troops at once, stopping Sherman from simply walking into the city without a fight. This resulted in a 47 day siege; had that civilian been captured or not been there at all, it's very possible that Pemberton would have been forced to capitulate and then who knows? Grant at Gettysburg?

Jason of Pherae. Tyrant of the city of Pherae in Thessaly, by 370 BC he had managed to unite Thessaly under his rule and become perhaps the most powerful man on the Hellenic peninsula at the time. He seems to have planned to expand his influence to central Greece, however he was assassinated before he could do that. Had he lived, he could have managed perhaps to spread his influence to much of central Greece, Epirus and Macedonia (taking advantage of the same dynastic conflicts that allowed the Thebans to intervene in the region) and even manage to become an earlier Philip II (not sure whether he could achieve that, but he could try).

Phormio, the Athenian admiral who annihilated the Peloponnesian fleet twice in the Corinthian gulf in 429 BC; he died in 428 BC. Had he lived longer, he might have been able to provide a capable successor to Perikles and become one of Athens' leading political and military figures - which would affect the course of the Peloponnesian war, among other things.

There are also rebellions and revolutions that failed. The leaders or otherwise involved people could have been a big deal if their movements succeed. For example, I have a soft spot for Wang Cong'er
On that note, “flash in the pan” powers like Burgundy under Charles the Bold, the Suri Dynasty of India, or the Afsharid Empire of Persia/Iran lasting longer would be interesting to explore as well.

Regarding the Danish Heirs:
Charles August (Danish Prince), Heir of Sweden - been discussed quite some around here found good material for a King.
Christian, Prince Elect of Denmark, son of Christian IV - not much good written or said of him, generally his younger brother Frederik suceeding to the Throne was the better alternative.
Christopher, Duke of Lolland - seems a capable Diplomat and Commander, stuff needed of a King but then there may not have been a Margrethe I till 1972 or ever.
Eric Christoffersen of Denmark - well whats to say, too little know of the man though again the younger brother Valdemar IV..

Let's start with Carlota Joaquina, the wife of João VI of Portugal.
If we are talking about the exiled Portuguese Royals in Brazil, there was also Pedro Carlos de Borbón, a grandson of Carlos III of Spain and husband of María Teresa, daughter of Juan VI of Portugal. He died young (26 years old) in 1812, just a few years before the independent movements in the Spanish Colonies started to gain traction.
If he was alive at those years, he probably would be a more palatable option for an Argentinian Kingdom than Carlota Joaquina, being a Spanish Royal and backed by the Braganzas. If not Argentina, maybe even Colombia or Peru.

And while we are talking about the independent movements in South America, there was also Francisco de Miranda, the first person I would dare to say had a true independent project for the region, with its own rules and constitution. Would be interesting to see him, and not Simon Bolivar, being the main leader of Colombia's independence.

There was another character, Bernardo de Galvez, who fought in the American Revolutionary Wars, who was said it also had his own designs in the independence of the Spanish Colonies in America, but (as far I know) it was only rumors. But that doesn't mean he was not an interesting character on his own, and honestly, quite forgotten by Americans nowadays.

I've mentioned him before, but William Clito, son of Robert Curthose and following the drowning of William Adelin, the only remaining male-line grandson of the Conqueror.
He was strongly supported by the enemies of Henry I, first Robert of Belleme, then Fulk of Anjou and finally Louis VI of France, who granted him estates in the French Vexin and tried to make him Count of Flanders. His initial campaign in Flanders went well but he faced a rival in the English-backed Thierry of Alsace. In a minor skirmish outside Aalst he was wounded, the wound became infected and William died, 25 years old and childless.

If William had been alive and Count of Flanders when Henry I died seven years later? Write your own TL for that one...

Its possible he could have become the dictator of France, his supporters (of which there were many) wanted a coup to make him ruler and to abolish the 3rd republic but he was too hesitant to act and so was mainly fogottenby history.
This could have led to an early war with Germany and a restoration of the French monarchy.

He's understudied in the West, but pretty known in the East, but that is Koxinga, or Zheng Chenggong.

He was a Half-Chinese Half-Japanese son of a pirate lord, Zheng Zhilong. When the Ming Dynasty was collapsing and the Qing were making way into China, Koxinga was one of the last holdouts of Ming Loyalists. He besieged Nanjing but lose when the Qing were able to reinforce the city. So, he turned to Formosa, which was controlled by the Dutch and took the island, creating a bastion for Ming Loyalists. He threatened to invade the Spanish Philippines but then died of Malaria.

Today, he is revered in Taiwan and some parts of China, but heavily understudied in the West from what I've seen.

Had Koxinga taken Nanjing in 1671, the Ethnic Han-Chinese may have revolted against the Qing, forcing them retreat back to Manchuria, meaning a Ming restoration after an interregnum

Last edited:
José de Iturrigaray was viceroy of New Spain from 1803 until 1808. In the mayhem that followed the outbreak of the Peninsular War, Iturrigaray, who was considered an ally of the local criollo elite, made plans to create a junta with him as its president, making New Spain independent from its colonial overlord in all but name. Unfortunately, this was dashed by a coup d'état launched by the peninsulares, and he was sent back to Spain as a prisoner.

Had Iturrigaray not been deposed, he could've become emperor of Mexico.

Elmer E. Ellesworth is mostly known as the first officer casualty of the Civil War, he was a pretty young guy, extremely well liked, very famous and a decent administrator and drillmaster, overall a decent guy, had he lived, it is possible you might've only known Grant as the Western warrior, he seriously did have a chance at becoming one of, if not the main commander of the Union with time.

Both of Pedro II's male sons could have become great Brazilian emperors on their own right and their existence by itself may have postponed the Empire of Brazil

The survival of Captain Beatty and Colonel Ford of the Maryland Line at Hobkirk's Hill, S.C., (Second Camden) in April 1781 does readily come to mind. Had the Continental left maintained its formation, superior American fire in musketry and cannon would have certainly resulted in the honorable surrender of Lord Rawdon's little command. The whole balance of the War in the Southern theatre would have been thrown to the Whiggish Cause then. New York City and South Carolina would have remained the 'epicentres' of the conflict. Yorktown, as we know it, would be immaterial.

If we are talking about the exiled Portuguese Royals in Brazil, there was also Pedro Carlos de Borbón, a grandson of Carlos III of Spain and husband of María Teresa, daughter of Juan VI of Portugal. He died young (26 years old) in 1812, just a few years before the independent movements in the Spanish Colonies started to gain traction.
If he was alive at those years, he probably would be a more palatable option for an Argentinian Kingdom than Carlota Joaquina, being a Spanish Royal and backed by the Braganzas. If not Argentina, maybe even Colombia or Peru.

And while we are talking about the independent movements in South America, there was also Francisco de Miranda, the first person I would dare to say had a true independent project for the region, with its own rules and constitution. Would be interesting to see him, and not Simon Bolivar, being the main leader of Colombia's independence.

There was another character, Bernardo de Galvez, who fought in the American Revolutionary Wars, who was said it also had his own designs in the independence of the Spanish Colonies in America, but (as far I know) it was only rumors. But that doesn't mean he was not an interesting character on his own, and honestly, quite forgotten by Americans nowadays.
You are right, I completely forgot about Pedro Carlos. Carlota is nobody's choice, because you can't work with her on anything. She dreamt of a throne, that's all, perhaps as way to avoid her unpleasant reality. Pedro Carlos living and landing with the British troops IOTL in Buenos Aires to "protect" him from the rebels and restore order to the true heir of La Plata is a lot more palatable to all parties.

Edward the Exile just had to drop dead the minute after stepping on English soil, didn't he? A historical enigma of a character, but a lost opportunity for Edward the Confessor, if no one else.

Frederick of Hesse was just a lost opportunity of a person. He seemed to have two thrones in the bag, or at least if not one, then the other, but he ended up with neither and proved completely obscure.

Oscar Dunn was the first black executive officer in American history, elected to become Lieutenant Governor of Louisiana in 1868. In that role he developed a reputation as an incorruptible, honest and very competent administrator who was also a committed Radical Republican and a friend of President Grant. As such, when the sitting governor bucked the state Republican party and began (allegedly) accepting bribes from Democrats in exchange for appointing them to political office, Dunn was put forward to be the party's candidate for Governor in the 1872 election. He was such a popular figure within Radical circles that there were even rumors that he might be put forward as a vice presidential candidate for Ulysses Grant at the 1872 Republican convention (I do not believe that this would have happened, but the fact that this was considered even halfway plausible in the 1870s tells you something about Dunn's reputation).

Dunn then died suddenly in the winter of 1871 (very probably poisoned by his enemies), contributing greatly to a period of political chaos and Republican in-fighting that would eventually lead to multi-racial democracy in Louisiana being overthrown by white supremacists a few years later.

Had Dunn survived then he could very well have won the 1872 governor's election and maybe even crushed the subsequent white supremacist backlash that was sure to follow. I don't know if Reconstruction in Louisiana survives even with a competent leader there to shepherd it along, but it would at least have a better chance.