List of monarchs II

My first proposition of "reform" is claiming turn before adding monarchs to the list to avoid situation where two posters are adding the list at the same time.

^^^That's a good idea

Two of my proposed Guidelines are;

Try to add some information about your monarch's reign (i.e what he/she did during the reign, how successful he/she are, what his/her claim to the throne is and what relation he/she is succeeded by.)

Try to keep reign lengths in the region of plausibility for the era they take place in(i.e a monarch who becomes king/queen at 50 is not going to rule for 40 years in any era except the modern and even then it's a stretch)

^^^I have suggested these as I have been guilty of doing of failing to do both of these things

Last edited:
^^^That's a good idea

Two of my proposed Guidelines are;

Try to add some information about your monarch's reign (i.e what he/she did during the reign, how successful he/she are, what his/her claim to the throne is and what relation he/she is succeeded by.)

Try to keep reign lengths in the region of plausibility for the era they take place in(i.e a monarch who becomes king/queen at 50 is not going to rule for 40 years in any era except the modern and even then it's a stretch)

^^^I have suggested these as I have been guilty of doing of failing to do both of these things

Lines of description should be kept short so we don't have paragraphs that make it unwieldy to read. It starts to get to the point that you might as well as write a collaborative timeline.

Maybe descriptions should be when they were born, how they came to the throne, and what they are known for. So 4 sentances at most?

I'm going to step in here and add my two cents, largely because I vacillate between playing and not based on the lists, but also seemingly, who is posting.

My suggestions for rules/reformations (some of which are mentioned already):
1. Claims are made, and then edited into updates.
2. Monarchs are logical and realistic, with footnoted details. I don't think, for example, if a European Monarch is a female it has to mean she's succeeded by a new dynasty, but if there is no dynasty change, there needs to be an explanation in the text (Habsburg marries Habsburg, succeeded by patrilineal cousin, etc.).
3. One list at a time. And no splitting lists off into multi-monarch scenarios. While I enjoyed that recent Roman one, it began to get absurd, especially with rando Jewish Indonesia.
4. Formatting: Date of Reign + Monarch + House are all contained within the color, All of the Above + Footnote are included in the bolded. For example (using parentheses instead of brackets):
(B)(color) 1848 - 1916: Franz Joseph (House of Habsburg-Lothringen) (/color)[1](/B)
If you are unsure of the previous color used, don't just use a similar color, copy & paste the above entry when editing and just reuse.
5. Without almost any exception, if there hasn't been Second/II, there can't be a First/I. The only examples I'm aware of off hand are Austrian Emperors, and that has to do with A-H, HRE, and Habsburgy stuff.
6. Players must have at least two posts between each of their postings.

Last edited:
I'm going to step in here and add my two cents, largely because I vacillate between playing and not based on the lists, but also seemingly, who is posting.

My suggestions for rules/reformations (some of which are mentioned already):
1. Claims are made, and then edited into updates.
2. Monarchs are logical and realistic, with footnoted details. I don't think, for example, if a European Monarch is a female is has to mean she's succeeded by a new dynasty, but if there is no dynasty change, there needs to be an explanation in the text (Habsburg marries Habsburg, succeeded by patrilineal cousin, etc.).
3. One list at a time. And no splitting lists off into multi-monarch scenarios. While I enjoyed that recent Roman one, it began to get absurd, especially with rando Jewish Indonesia.
4. Formatting: Date of Reign + Monarch + House are all contained within the color, All of the Above + Footnote are included in the bolded. For example (using parentheses instead of brackets):
(B)(color) 1848 - 1916: Franz Joseph (House of Habsburg-Lothringen) (/color)[1](/B)
If you are unsure of the previous color used, don't just use a similar color, copy & paste the above entry when editing and just reuse.
5. Without almost any exception, if there hasn't been Second/II, there can't be a First/I. The only examples I'm aware of off hand are Austrian Emperors, and that has to do with A-H, HRE, and Habsburgy stuff.
6. Players must have at least two posts between each of their postings.
I generally agree with your points, but I think we need another restriction if bolded will be implied (I think that restriction is needed anyway). It's often assumed that list have to continue to present day even if started with Hammurabi or Tutankhamun, which is absurd in my opinion. So could we decide that list should be finished after span of, say 1000 years, so we will not be tied to list of Egypt's pharaons for million posts from the reign of Khufu to Ramses LXXIII?

I generally agree with your points, but I think we need another restriction if bolded will be implied (I think that restriction is needed anyway). It's often assumed that list have to continue to present day even if started with Hammurabi or Tutankhamun, which is absurd in my opinion. So could we decide that list should be finished after span of, say 1000 years, so we will not be tied to list of Egypt's pharaons for million posts from the reign of Khufu to Ramses LXXIII?

That could be messy, how about allowing for the collapse of a country and then the conquers list replaces it?

Personally I'm ok with two or three lists, so long as they're related to each other.

I thoroughly concur.

7. Lists shall be limited to lengths of 1000 years or arrival at the present, which ever comes first.

That could be messy, how about allowing for the collapse of a country and then the conquers list replaces it?

Personally I'm ok with two or three lists, so long as they're related to each other.
My issue with multiple lists in the same TL is that I find them annoying to maintain. Eventually one out paces the others, or as was the case a while back with one of the Papal lists, there was a civil war, which created a multi-monarch list, which someone eventually had to come in and basically clean up.

---
Rereading things, I also want to raise an objection to always explicitly detailing who the successor is in the previous post. I suppose one could argue if one is looking for a challenge then not having control over a general aspect of the character is just that, but I prefer that it not be a rule, because I've found I occasionally will have a really interesting idea for a monarch or a succession crisis which is limited because the preceding post states Billy Bob XIX was succeeded by his third cousin, twice removed. I'm not saying we shouldn't do it at all, I just don't want it as a hard and fast rule.

I started a new thread List of monarchs III. The OP has spacing issues that I'm having trouble fixing, but it's readable and the rules are flexible enough (I hope) to let us be creative but still keep things formal.

Before this thread gets closed, I'd like to share the most hilarious and awesome cop-out I've seen to kill off a TL :D

The House of Aviz
Kings of Portugal and Algarves: 1554-1881
Kings of Brazil, Africa Austral and the Indian Islands: 1885-

1554-1616: Sebastião I (House of Aviz) [1]
1616-1639: João IV (House of Aviz) [2]
1639-1708: Sebastião II (House of Aviz)
1708-1724: Pedro II (House of Aviz) [3]
1724-1742: Sebastião III (House of Aviz) [4]
1742-1802: Pedro III (House of Aviz)
1802-1818: João V (House of Aviz)
1818-1819: Manuel II (House of Aviz) [5]
1819-1832: Henrique (House of Aviz) [6]
1832-1877: Duarte II (House of Aviz) [7]
1877-1890: Pedro IV (House of Aviz) [8a]

1890-1920: Guilherme I (House of Hohenzollern-Aviz) [9]
1920-1926: Pedro V (House of Hohenzollern-Aviz)
1926-1944: Frederico I (House of Hohenzollern-Aviz)[10]
1944-Present: Afonso VI (House of Hohenzollern-Aviz) [11]

[1] Consolidated areas in America and offered exile the Jews persecuted by the spanish in Brazil. Invested in land holdings by the Amazon River from 1570's. In addition to colonize the islands of Sebastiania (OTL Phillipines), Jakarta, Bali and Celebes, creating the captaincy of Magellan in far East. Besides incorporating Galicia (in Europe), Morocco (in Africa) and the captaincy of the Río de la Plata (in America) in the Hispano-Portuguese War (1586-1590). Dies at age 62 and was succeeded by your son João.
[2] He was not the daring figure his father was, but he did inherit a decent chunk of his mind and he was also good at diplomacy. He was able to create closer ties to England and France, which helped to neutralize the threat of Spain. He also established a policy known as The Pledge, which gave citizen rights to natives of his colonial realms. The requirements to take the pledge were that they must convert to Catholicism, and they must be able to speak Portuguese fluently. Once a subject has passed these two requirements, they take the pledge to serve King and country and become citizens. This was an expansion of his father's policies regarding the indigenous populations in Brasil.
[3] Spent much of his reign trying to fight off Omani and Dutch raiders in the Indian Ocean. Secured Formosa with the help of the Shimazu clan of Japan to defeat the pirate San Jian, and established the Portuguese-Satsuma Condominium of Formosa.
[4] Continued to impress good relations with the Shimazu as he became enamored with Japanese culture. An adventurous sort, he actually was the first European Monarch to tour the New World and Asia, although the latter happened when he was still Infante to the crown. He also would confirm the Rif of Morocco as an official province in the Portuguese Empire, as the demographics were for the majority citizens of the Empire due to undertaking the pledge.
[5] He only ruled for a fortnight, the last week of December and the first week of January. He is often called the Winter King.
[6] Manuel's brother. The crisis caused by Manuel's abdication emboldened Amiralde Guiseppe Buonaparte of Aragon and Castile to invade Portugal and proclaim the Empire of All Spains with himself as Emperor. Fled to Brazil, and seized the remaining Castilian and Aragonese overseas holdings (which were anti-Buonapartists) in retaliation. Died before he was to execute the Liberation of Spain with his Ottoman, Japanese, and Hispanic colonial allies.
[7] After Henrique's demise, his 18-years-old son continued with his father's planned "Liberation", but only to reach a status quo ante bellum. This was an early omen of his disastrous reign which ended when a worker and peasant revolt was foreign backed by France, Spain, UK and Netherlands.
[8a] Lost the homeland, Portugal, during the Civil War to the Bonapartes, yet retaining much of the overseas territories. While not renouncing his claim on Portugal, officially established the Kingdoms of Brazil (capital: Rio de Janeiro), Africa Austral (capital: Boa Esperança) and the Indian Islands (capitals: Goa and Iacarta) in 1885, each having their own corte. Made an effort to reside in each of the kingdoms for two years before dying of malaria in Iacarta.
[9] When Wilhelm von Hohenzollern inherited the throne from his uncle, he was in a dire situation: he barely spoke Portuguese, his domains were scattered in three continents with no preponderant place and were surrounded by Bonapartists or aggresive independent nations. In a bold move, he established an embassy in the "Kingdom of Spain", which led to many resigns in his cabinet but proved valuable in terms of diplomacy. He suffocated native unrest (once knew Júlia I didn't care about his domains nor "Spain" had any claims), fought the "war with no battles" (Peru declared war on Brazil but, when Iberia stood neutral, Peru demanded a peace treaty), modernize their three "countries" with German and British help andsigne a new, more liberal constitution in 1913 after signing a peace treaty with Iberia, renouncing all its claims. In 1915, with declining health, signed a multilateral treaty between United Kingdom, France, Iberia(when Francisco I was sober) and Netherlands to draw the borders of their respective domains.
[10] Crowned after his father abdication, he used the newly "friendly" relation with Netherlands to gain acces to the necessary credit to finance his reforms (and his army). When progroms started in Central Europe, offered his three countries as a safe haven for anyone(and as a mean to settle unhabited lands in Brazil and Africa), mainly Jews. He was killed by a white supremacist in Boa Esperança when was about to sail to the wedding of Infante Pedro of Iberia to Jeanne Stuart von Rotschild(OOC: yes, THAT Rotschilds!).
[11] Alfonso VI (born Hans Friedrich Leopold Wilhelm von Hohenzollern-Aviz), is nowadays the oldest living person in the world, at the age of 117-years-old. Called afectously "Matusalém"(Metuselah) by his subjects, his regnals duties are carried by his great-grandson Cristiano Ronaldo de Hohenzollern-Aviz e Japão.