Links to interesting aviation films/videos

I'm not sure what the mods attitude to this will be, but from time to time I come across interesting videos on youtube and other video sharing sites (as I'm sure we all do), and I thought it might be a nice idea to have a thread for this.

A while ago we had a thread about the Blackburn Cubaroo, and I've just stumbled across a nice bit of footage, along with the equally huge Avro Aldershot.

Finnish IVL A.2 Hansa aircraft taking off and landing on sea ice in Helsinki during a 1926 airshow:

A documentary about the Finnish Air Force in WWII, with a lot of period footage:

Anybody have a site where I can watch the 1938 Technicolor movie (from a major Hollywood studio) "Men With Wings"?

The flight scenes were great for the time, lots of then big name stars, but the movie seems to have disappeared without a ripple.

Dynasoar

Finnish IVL A.2 Hansa aircraft taking off and landing on sea ice in Helsinki during a 1926 airshow:

A documentary about the Finnish Air Force in WWII, with a lot of period footage:

I haven't had the chance to watch it all the way through, but that second video has a fascinating rag bag of types: Blenheim I, Anson, MS 406, Gladiator and the inevitable Buffalo.

Last edited:
I haven't had the chance to watch it all the way through, but that first video has a fascinating rag bag of types: Blenheim I, Anson, MS 406, Gladiator and the inevitable Buffalo.

I think that this is a very apt way to describe the WWII-era FAF in general. Very few other air forces had a similar variety of aircraft from all major sides of the war.

A fascinating little clip of a real early war oddity. The film features a "normal" Mark I with the short canopy and a second Wellesley with the long glasshouse for the Mark II. It's only a pity there's no sound.

This is a bit of a classic. I've actually been up close with one of the prototypes in Munich. Like the Rotodyne, the romantic in me is devestated that this was a dead end.

Driftless

Donor
"... but they completed their mission by sailing their disabled plane as a sailboat 300 miles to Hawaii." Wow! Absolute respect.

Boy, no kidding! Playing wind and currents as best they could - IF they miss Kauai, what happens after that ? Their next shot at land are the occasional small atoll and lucking into being spotted by a passing ship is awful slim.

Driftless

Donor
Trailer for "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" (1965) Based on the historic 1910 Brighton to Paris air race. It's a goofy farce - great fun, with some wonderful flying scenes with faithful replicas (modern engines). Some nifty period autos as well.

If you can find a full length version, watching it is time well spent.

Driftless

Donor
Papua New Guinea - Fane airstrip. Landings and takeoffs could be a bit of an adrenalin spike.....

The dog-leg near the end made me think of this being a golf hole...

Trailer for "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" (1965) Based on the historic 1910 Brighton to Paris air race. It's a goofy farce - great fun, with some wonderful flying scenes with faithful replicas (modern engines). Some nifty period autos as well.

If you can find a full length version, watching it is time well spent.

Their is a replica of Pierre Dubois' aircraft at the Brooklands museum, on display in a hangar with a Vickers Vimy and a Sopwith Camel. I can highly recommend a visit.