Ledger Lives. Joker returns?

As it says on the tin. If Heath Ledger had lived, how would The Dark Knight Rises have been scripted? Would the Joker have made a re-appearance? Nolan doesn't seem to be that sort of person (reusing characters), but Ledger was lauded for his performace.

There was a year after TDK where there was no script at all, so the film would likely be completely unrecognisable. If Nolan wants to include Joker, he was such a massiv character that he would become the main villain even if he wasn't scripted that way. So actually he might end up leaving him out anyway.

There was a year after TDK where there was no script at all, so the film would likely be completely unrecognisable. If Nolan wants to include Joker, he was such a massiv character that he would become the main villain even if he wasn't scripted that way. So actually he might end up leaving him out anyway.

Unless of course they choose to make it only a very brief cameo.

Yes, but not for a few films.
Ledger's Joker will be one of the definitive characters in this franchise, alongside Micheal Caine for my money.

Someone theorized he could be the one presiding over Bane's "people's tribunals" and not Scarecrow.

Joker Jury. :D

It honestly makes a lot more sense as Joker being the Arbiter of the tribunal as his whole schpeel was "fairness through chaos"

On the other hand, Scarecrow was more about a man who had little control over his life in the past and misused his power to make himself feel better, more akin to a petulant child.

It wouldn't surprise me if initially in the script it called for a CG joker or somebody to play joker who looks like ledger and Scarecrow would be a cohort of Bane who is "reactivated" as a minor lieutenant for the splinter league of shadows.

Someone theorized he could be the one presiding over Bane's "people's tribunals" and not Scarecrow.

Joker Jury. :D

Yeah, I doubt that would work. Joker would despise Bane's de facto Stalinism - he'd see through the idea that it was chaos and probably set out to destroy it as quickly as possible. Besides, he'd get really bored ordering executions in a stuffy courtroom!

[
It honestly makes a lot more sense as Joker being the Arbiter of the tribunal as his whole schpeel was "fairness through chaos"

On the other hand, Scarecrow was more about a man who had little control over his life in the past and misused his power to make himself feel better, more akin to a petulant child.

It wouldn't surprise me if initially in the script it called for a CG joker or somebody to play joker who looks like ledger and Scarecrow would be a cohort of Bane who is "reactivated" as a minor lieutenant for the splinter league of shadows.

As above, the script didn't exist until over a year after Joker's death, and at one point Nolan considered ending the franchise with Dark Knight. Joker was never in any early script of TKDR.

Unless of course they choose to make it only a very brief cameo.

I don't know about this. Although I thoguht having the Scarecrow come back in every movie was a strange choice. It was like Nolan didn't know what to do with him, so he made a bunch of random cameos with him.