L'Australie Occidentale

NomadicSky said:
Yes that would make for a very interesting population mix. Not to mention the native Australiens Indigènes Aboriginal Australians and I was thinking a few hundred thousand Chinese and The Acadians could be droped of there by the British as they force them from Nova Scotia.
yeah, because Nova Scotia and Perth are right next dorr to each other...

NomadicSky

Banned
Ok so that wouldn't happen.
And i didn't notice that I said this
few hundred thousand Chinese
I had written few hundred Chinese and thought i deleted the word hundred I meant few thousand Chinese.

Hendryk

Banned
eschaton said:
Historically, quite a good deal of Australians were actually of Irish descent (I've heard more than english descent actually). Since the French were never that big on leaving France, maybe you could have a large Breton population (maybe 40% of the population), with fairly sizable populations of Corsicans and Altasians as well.

Then, later, the Sephardic Jews who left Algeria when France lost it go there instead of France. An interesting population mix.

NomadicSky said:
Yes that would make for a very interesting population mix. Not to mention the native Australiens Indigènes Aboriginal Australians and I was thinking a few hundred thousand Chinese and The Acadians could be droped of there by the British as they force them from Nova Scotia.
Interesting suggestions for the population mix. Indeed, the French have historically been loath to emigrate, but then, when you live in France, why would you want to go anywhere else? ;) One of the few historical exceptions were the Huguenots, who left when Louis XIV rescinded the Edict of Nantes and ended up all over the place (which is why, as has been pointed out in another thread, many South Africans have French-sounding names).
As an aside, I think that if the Napoleonic wars were butterflied away for some reason, you would have a demographic surplus in early 19th-century France in need of an outlet.
Now if the Napoleonic wars take place as per OTL, the potential immigration to Australie Occidentale would come from other places. eschaton's ideas about the Sephardic Jews from former French colonies in North Africa are pretty good; but then, why stop there? How about the Pied-Noir population as a whole? You have a couple of million newcomers right there, and (tell me if I'm wrong) the similarity between the Algerian and Australian climates would work in their favor.
The Chinese are also likely to show up in high numbers. I don't think that French Australia would have the racist hang-ups of the British one about Asian immigration; the priority would be to increase the population, not to nitpick about people's origins. France had its own concession in Shanghai from 1849 to 1945, and much of its Chinese population (not to mention its various expatriate communities, such as the White Russian exiles) wouldn't pass a chance at resettling in Australia once it becomes clear that the civil war will end with a Communist victory. Then there is the sizable Chinese community in Indochina, much of which would probably migrate after 1954, and the rest follow suit in the 1970s, along with fair numbers of South Vietnamese.
From the 1980s, expect some migration from the French Caribbean and Haiti as well.
To spice the ethnic salad even further, how about have some Indians move in from Pondichéry?
Finally, there are the native Kanacks of New Caledonia, some of which may be tempted to go to a more dynamic place where a complacent creole population isn't keeping them down. And the islanders from Tahiti...

Kaiser Wilhelm III said:
It was discovered first in SE Australia, but there's gold in WA all right. Kalgoorlie and Coolgardie, for instance. Mind you, I'm not sure how likely the French would be to discover it early, but my reference books on the Australian gold rushes are buried in a box somewhere at the moment, so I can't check out how easy it was to find.

Don't forget the diamonds KW3 and all the other goodies buried in WA.

If France claimed WA and then discovered all those riches what to you think the chances are of that triggering an Anglo-french war.

Syphon said:
Don't forget the diamonds KW3 and all the other goodies buried in WA.

Yup, they're there as well, I know, I was just mostly talking about gold rushes which are handy for very quick boosts to population, even more than diamonds. And diamonds need *De Beers to give them that very special boost.

If France claimed WA and then discovered all those riches what to you think the chances are of that triggering an Anglo-french war.

It could be the Boer Wars all over again, with slightly redder backdrops...

NomadicSky

Banned
Hmmm

It might be interesting if West Australia is still part of France.
L'Australie Occidentale could be something like a British Dominion. More or less independent with very strong ties to mother France. Although I like the idea of a fully independent very multi-cultural *French is the official language* La Republique Australie Ouest after the Colony won't accept French surrender or being sold to Japan by the Vichy government.

NomadicSky

Banned
another idea

What if West Australia had a large French population but was taken over by the Brits say 1815. The French population remains a majority and Australia has it's own version of Quebec.

NomadicSky said:
What if West Australia had a large French population but was taken over by the Brits say 1815. The French population remains a majority and Australia has it's own version of Quebec.

Holding it to the rest of Australia could be difficult. Western Australia already wants to separate. What would happen if it was francophone as well... can you say Australian civil war?

"La Republique Australie Ouest
sounds better"

Well...as a Frenchman, I can tell you that it doesn't sound French at all!
I can suggest you "La République d'Autralie Occidentale" or "La République d'Australie de l'Ouest" but I think it's not as good...

If this territory is not independant : "L'Australie Occidentale Française" is good, divided in 2 or 3 départements...

"La Nouvelle Bordeaux" is a very good name for its capital.

If you want, I can help you for other french names...

By the way, it's a very good idea for a alternate timeline!

A last idea before returning to work : after the French Revolution, the colony of French Australia decided to be faithfull to the Monarchy and becanme independant as "Le Royaume de France Australe" under an Orléans king...
Thoughts?

vincent

Kaiser Wilhelm III said:
Now, why would that be...? ;)

yeah, why would we want to secede from the oppressive eastern states government, who poison our rivers, ravage our women, beat us in grand finals, delay telecast us, make thier thrones out of the bones of our dead, rob us of our precious natural resources and the proffits from them.

okay, a few of those were made up (we did beat then in the grand final in ?1992?) but my point remains, we must crush them under the steel foot of our westralian liberation army. already the Free West terrorist organisation is active in blowing up apartment blocks, setting cars on fire, and lighting fires in my local gym. (fact: all of these things happened in my suburb, but we are a high income middle class suburb. wtf)

traitors will be killed in the traditional way: tied under trees for drop bears to drop on.:D

NomadicSky

Banned
which one

He had three
I bet I know the monarchy one
Wanna draw a flag for me Aussey the Kingdom of West Australia?
I have no idea what that would look like you usually come up with some flags

Flag of the: Royaume Australe de la France (Southern Kingdom of France)
Sorry its crappy....didnt have that many ideas for a pre-Revolutionary-Royalist-French-government-in-exile-in-their-west-Australian-colony

Attachments

• Southern Kingdom of France I.bmp
    233.2 KB · Views: 404

NomadicSky

Banned
Thank you Aussey
...I like this one much better

L%27Australie%20Occidentale.PNG

How great would it be to have a militaristic French Kingdom in Australia fall in with the Central Powers come World War I?:D

NomadicSky

Banned
In that situation the monarcy in Austria might side with the Central Powers in order to be the new goverment of France

NomadicSky said:
In that situation the monarcy in Austria might side with the Central Powers in order to be the new goverment of France
The monarchy in Austria sided with the CP OTL... :p Australia on the other hand...