Late 19th Century British Battalion Formations and Tactical Methods

Hello, all.

I’m looking for information on how British infantry companies and battalions were supposed to function on the battlefield, from about 1880 to 1900.

I’ve tried to dig up drill manuals online, but haven’t found what I’m looking for.

An example of the sort of summary info I’m looking for (from US Army Infantry Drill, 1891):

At about 2500 paces from the enemy (then considered the effective range of artillery), the company breaks into a firing line of two sections, and a support line of the other 2 sections which follows the firing line at a distance of 200 paces.
At 900 paces from the enemy, the firing line deploys to extended order. The firing line then advances by rushes.
By 500 yards, the supports join the firing line, and the advance is carried on via rushes of alternating sections.
Having achieved a good position for the assault, rapid fire is ordered. At 30 yards, the charge is delivered.

The battalion has 1, 2 or 3 companies up front, each deployed into firing line and supports (as above); the balance of the 4-company total is in the Reserve line, 300 yards behind the line of Supports.

Basically, then, I’m looking for an overview of how the battalion deployed and fought.

Last edited:
IndefatigableRN, thank you, I’ll watch that video.

In the interest of full disclosure, I’m designing a wargame to handle late 19th Century combat at the level of the Brigade or small division (say, max of 6 battalions per side). The smallest unit will be the company (the old-style company of about 100 men). The basic tactical unit will be the battalion, which in this period was expected to maneuver and fight as a single entity, albeit with a more or less complex internal methodology.

Something that focuses on command and control, as well as on unit cohesion and troop fatigue.
The combat mechanism I’ll try to keep fairly simple so that the player has to focus on the factors higher than tactical minutiae.

I know that the British Army in this period used a system at least somewhat similar to the one described by the U.S. Army Infantry Drill Manual of 1891. I read “The Conduct of the War Game”, an 1896 British update to Kriegsspiel; it mentioned the firing line, supports and reserve, but gave no detail.

What I’d like to know is how many companies in each line (or, in the case of firing line and support line, proportions of companies), and perhaps something about the ranges at which the firing line deployed, the intervals between lines, details of fire control, etc.

One thing that struck me about the 1891 U.S. regulations was how deep the formation could be — about 500 yards from firing line to reserve. IIRC, the German regs in effect in 1914 specified a total depth of more than a kilometer for the battalion, presumably a result of the firepower increase during that decade-and-a-half.
Or maybe the U.S. 1891 regs were simply too conservative even at the time.