Lands of Red and Gold, Act II

I'm not at all sure that Moa would make effective pack animals.

It's tricky, because we don't have a lot of literature out there with respect to avian pack loading, and not many candidates for that literature.

In OTL really, the only genuine avian candidate was the Ostrich, and the Gray Ostrich wasn't domesticated until the 19th century, at a time when the domesticating culture already had several superior draft animals readily available. So the Ostrich was never really applied in any significant way as a domestic pack animal.

There has been Ostrich riding of course, but my understanding is that these were only for short sprints. It doesn't really tell us much about the avian as a long term beast of burden.

If we go by mammal standards, most good sized domesticate draft animals can pack a load of approximately 10 to 20% of their body weight. Dogs and Reindeer are at the far end of the scale managing packs between 25% and 40%. But they're at the physically smaller end of the scale.

Assuming that a Moa weighs in about 500 pounds, that suggests a pack carry of between 50 and a 100 pounds.

But what's critical about a draft animal is not just the burden it can sustain momentarily or for a short time, but its long haul endurance. Here, I think Moa might have a problem.

How does a draft animal develop long haul endurance? It inherits it. Why do the ancestors have long haul endurance? Because they had a niche or lifestyle which encouraged travelling great distances - in many cases, they're migrators or patrolled through massive territories of hundreds or thousands of square miles. They were distance travellers, moving a long way to have their daily meal. And this long distance travel capacity had to be a feature of immature and juvenile animals, which tended to mean that the adult forms had muscle and heart to spare.

Having said that, what about the Moa? I don't have the impression that the Moa were great migrators, long distance travellers, or collectively maintained large territories. My impression is that most likely, they're roughly akin to relatively sedentary animals - ie, ones which basically remain within relatively limited territories or move slowly through their environments. Those animals, such as deer, don't develop the capacity as juveniles to travel vast distances with the herd, and therefore don't develop the sort of endurance and excess capacity that would make them good long distance pack carriers.

Moa, as beast of burden, is probably a poor bet. Particularly when there's an off the shelf domesticate, horses, becoming available. Cattle might also become available. So there's competition. And both horse and cattle are trained domesticates, they have a history, there's intellectual capital in the bank as to how to handle them, how to load them, the sort of harnesses. All the stuff that would have to be learned from scratch from the Moa are potentially already available on the shelf.

That's setting aside the wrangling and pack carrying issues - we have no idea how easy or difficult it would be, but definitely everyone is starting at the low end of the learning curve.

Throw in the slow maturation rate, and the likelihood that the birds are browsers, not grazers.... Moa are a tough sell.

Perhaps he will ignite a European mania for fancy quoll breeding

At least one of his pets will ignite great European interest in one uniquely Aururian sport, though I'm not sure if quolls will qualify too.

Pushing it, not exceeding. ;)

While pack moas sound cool, the more I think about it, the more implausible they become.

They're very slow breeding - it takes ten years for them to reach breeding age. That's a hell of a long time to keep them around, and makes domestication of them a human multi-lifetime endeavour.

Add to that, the evidence of moa's diet (preserved stomach contents, coprolites) is that they were browsers rather than grazers. In Aururia, this limits them even more since many of the trees have poisonous leaves; the moas are restricted to a few species of trees and shrubs whose leaves don't have those toxins. This would make feeding domesticated moas a real chore, and nothing like as competitive as horses or cattle which just get parked in the nearest field.

Then there's the fact that there's a very small population of moas to work with (only a few young moas were brought over), which limits the genetic diversity for any efforts to breed from.

That's on top of the questions DValdron points out about how good a pack animal they'd make in the first place, even if you can overcome all of the above problems.

So in short, while domesticated moas sound cool, in this timeline having them would be a bridge too far in terms of plausibility.

Kind of surprised Haast's Eagle wouldn't have been kept around as a status symbol or trained as a war animal, given that the improved agricultural situation in Aotearoa means more state or proto-state formation, with all the need for pomp and circumstance among its rulers that implies.

As Admiral Matt points out, traditional falconry involved capturing wild birds, not breeding them. While captive breeding is more common today, it's not a practice which the Maori would know about even if they knew anything about falconry (which they don't).

So this would require the Maori to develop falconry and captive breeding of the world's largest eagle out of nothing - they have no cultural antecedents - in the short timeframe before moas go extinct. I don't see that as plausible, unfortunately.

...come to think of it, I'm surprised that moa eggs haven't been similarly used as a diplomatic tool.

In New Zealand, the moa were simply wiped out - there was no tradition of conservation at the time. Even if a few moa eggs had been passed around, that wouldn't have prevented the extinction of the moas.

Moa eggs are also extremely fragile, incidentally, and more so for the larger species, so even shipping them would have been a pain. The moas which were shipped to Aururia were young ones, but not eggs.

...and now I'm imagining a *Maori tradition of "falconry", with the centerpieces being Haast's Eagle and the kea.

The kea, now, that might be another story. Maybe "falconeer" keas could be used to hunt feral sheep. :D

I wonder if there will be a "Prince Rupert's Land" in *Australia ITTL, rather than in northern Canada. ;)

There's already a Baffin Island in *Australia (Fraser Island), so why not a Prince Rupert's Land as well? The false friends will make things even more confusing if one of Thande's crosstime exploration teams ever shows up.

At least one of his pets will ignite great European interest in one uniquely Aururian sport, though I'm not sure if quolls will qualify too.

While pack moas sound cool, the more I think about it, the more implausible they become.

They're very slow breeding - it takes ten years for them to reach breeding age. That's a hell of a long time to keep them around, and makes domestication of them a human multi-lifetime endeavour.

Add to that, the evidence of moa's diet (preserved stomach contents, coprolites) is that they were browsers rather than grazers. In Aururia, this limits them even more since many of the trees have poisonous leaves; the moas are restricted to a few species of trees and shrubs whose leaves don't have those toxins. This would make feeding domesticated moas a real chore, and nothing like as competitive as horses or cattle which just get parked in the nearest field.

Then there's the fact that there's a very small population of moas to work with (only a few young moas were brought over), which limits the genetic diversity for any efforts to breed from.

That's on top of the questions DValdron points out about how good a pack animal they'd make in the first place, even if you can overcome all of the above problems.

So in short, while domesticated moas sound cool, in this timeline having them would be a bridge too far in terms of plausibility.

As Admiral Matt points out, traditional falconry involved capturing wild birds, not breeding them. While captive breeding is more common today, it's not a practice which the Maori would know about even if they knew anything about falconry (which they don't).

So this would require the Maori to develop falconry and captive breeding of the world's largest eagle out of nothing - they have no cultural antecedents - in the short timeframe before moas go extinct. I don't see that as plausible, unfortunately.

In New Zealand, the moa were simply wiped out - there was no tradition of conservation at the time. Even if a few moa eggs had been passed around, that wouldn't have prevented the extinction of the moas.

Moa eggs are also extremely fragile, incidentally, and more so for the larger species, so even shipping them would have been a pain. The moas which were shipped to Aururia were young ones, but not eggs.

The kea, now, that might be another story. Maybe "falconeer" keas could be used to hunt feral sheep. :D

There's already a Baffin Island in *Australia (Fraser Island), so why not a Prince Rupert's Land as well? The false friends will make things even more confusing if one of Thande's crosstime exploration teams ever shows up.

Yeah, no matter how sad it is, we must face the fact that all Moas will ever be are royal hunting animals, and Haast's Eagle is a goner.

On the other hand, SAVE THE KEA! FALCONEER KEA SHEEP HUNTERS!

Dog racing?

I'm thinking of something much more quintessentially Aururian. Dog racing can show up almost anywhere in the world, but some things are unique to the Third World.

Maybe they can become an invasive pest in Europe.

I ment the Kea.

Anything as inquisitive as the kea could become a pest, although they are vulnerable to lead poisoning. And not just the sort of lead poisoning which is acquired through a high-velocity impact. Keas are so naturally curious that they stick their beaks in all sorts of places which ends up with them ingesting lots of lead. Sad but true.

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
Jared, what do the educated eletes of Europe know about Australia at this time? Is anyone starting to wonder why it's animal life is so different from other lands?

how about a pack of thylacines?

Sadly probably already extinct, or almost so. The colonists who settled (invaded) Tasmania around the ninth century (AD) brought dogs with them, and so the thylacines are being slowly wiped out. If not already gone.

Jared, what do the educated eletes of Europe know about Australia at this time?

Travellers accounts are starting to spread by now. The VOC tried to keep a lid on them for a while - with mixed success - but now that the English are involved as well, the VOC has pretty much given up on that idea.

Educated Europeans in general know that there's something strange and exotic about that distant land, but they're not sure how much of what they hear is truth, and what is exaggerated travellers' tales. If you didn't know better, would you believe stories of a hedgehog that lays eggs, a duck with fur and no wings, two-legged giant rabbits, and trees which keep their leaves all year around but the bark falls off every winter?

It doesn't help that a lot of what tales are told about Australia are exaggerated or just made up anyway.

Is anyone starting to wonder why it's animal life is so different from other lands?

To an extent, but not many people know much about the animals. And they do (presumably) know about marsupials already from the Americas - I'm not sure when the first accounts of those reached Europe - so animals that have pouches are believable enough in themselves.

More will be known if Prince Rupert lives and brings home an expanded menagerie, of course.

IOTL certain wallabies (particularly the species endemic to Tasmania, which can handle cold weather well) have escaped from private menageries and formed breeding populations in Britain. If Prince Rupert brings them back, several centuries of feral populations might make the wallaby seen as a distinctly British animal. :D

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
IOTL certain wallabies (particularly the species endemic to Tasmania, which can handle cold weather well) have escaped from private menageries and formed breeding populations in Britain. If Prince Rupert brings them back, several centuries of feral populations might make the wallaby seen as a distinctly British animal. :D
Would they have the potential to become real pests?

Wallabies are allowed out, they're cute and non-dangerous. Most Australian wildlife on the other hand. . .