Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachariah

Banned
Misool2.jpg

Land Below the Sunset #1- Crucible of Civilization

The island nation of Papua [1], the world's most populous island, the second largest island on Earth (after Greenland) and the largest wholly or partly within the Southern Hemisphere, has a long history. Archeological and genetic evidence indicates that the first humans may have arrived on Papua as early as 60,000 BP, and that their migration was one of the oldest human migrations out of Africa. They came by sea from Southeast Asia during an Ice Age period, when sea levels were markedly lower and distances between islands shorter- at this time, the Kaiwa Strait [2] still linked Papua with the far larger landmass of Australia. When sea levels were low during the last glacial maximum, the Arafura Shelf, the Gulf of Baralku [3] and Kaiwa Strait formed a large flat land bridge connecting Australia and Papua, with the combined landmass forming the continent of Meganesia [4]; and many humans continued onwards on their migration, crossing this land bridge to settle on Australia.

But Australia itself is a harsh, dry, flat and arid land, with little geological activity, scorching heat, burning deserts. It has poor, ancient soils lacking in essential minerals, with the indigenous Australian flora relatively lacking in plants which possessed the necessary range of qualities to be worth independently domesticating, needed for the development of agricultural systems and of sedentary farming societies. While Australia would eventually give rise to its own aboriginal civilizations and nations of considerable significance, none would come close to rivaling the scale, size and significance of civilization on the island of Papua. Although the founding population was comprised largely of fishermen and hunter-gatherers, estimated to have been several thousand in number and to have had relatively sophisticated water craft, with shellfish and fish having long been mainstays of coastal dwellers' diets, early evidence shows that people moved inland and offshore quickly.

As early as 50,000 BP, the presence of archaeological artifacts suggests that people already occupied sites in the highlands, at altitudes of up to 2,000 m (6,600 ft), rather than being restricted to coastal areas. Soon enough, these nomadic foragers began to manage these wet and fertile highlands to provide more food. And it was here, in the highlands of Western Papua, around 10,000 BP, where we can place the crucible of Papuan, and indeed, of Meganesian civilization, with the emergence of one of the world's earliest centers of agriculture, contemporary with its counterparts in the Levant, Mesopotamia, China, the Indus Valley and Mesoamerica.

130131014.jpg

Archeological digs have uncovered evidence for early agricultural drainage systems in this region, with features such as pits, postholes, and runnels, consistent with the planting, digging and tethering of plants, indicating evidence of early agriculture. In addition, evidence has been found of irrigation draining ditches. Several of the world's most important staple crops would be grown here first, and their cultivation would spread from this region of Papua to be cultivated elsewhere in the world- among these would be the banana, sugarcane, taro, and ufi [5].

But the domestication and cultivation of the most important of Papuan crops, asbin [6], is believed to have begun its rise to prominence around 8000BP. The earliest archaeologically verified asbin tuber remains have been found at the coastal site of Gamei (Sepik Delta, north-central Papua), dating to 2500 BC. As with all peoples who developed agriculture independently, in other parts of the world, the speed of development, and of the spread of their agricultural societies outwards until they spanned most of the globe, was related to how easily domesticable their founder crops were. And in their founder crops, the Papuans had some of the very best.

While bananas, taro, sugarcane and ufi, along with coconuts later on, all provided significant sources of supplementary sustenance, it would be asbin which provided the principal energy source for the Papuan Empire, its predecessors and its progeny. A highly adaptable self-pollinating plant, an effective cover crop and a nitrogen-fixing restorative crop, capable of improving the most nutrient-poor soils and of tolerating the very heaviest rainfalls, asbin also possessed a wider variety of uses than several competitors' entire crop packages, with several different varieties which have been specifically bred and cultivated to boost the protection yields of different parts of the plant.

Its tender bean pods are widely eaten, and these are rich not only in protein, but in tocopherols (antioxidants that facilitate vitamin A utilisation in the body). These beans can be made into milk when blended with water and an emulsifier, in the same manner as soy milk (though these varieties of asbin typically grow even faster than soy). Asbin flowers are used to color rice and pastry, and young asbin leaves are picked and prepared as a leaf vegetable- both of these are protein-rich, but not as much as its nutritious nutty-flavored tubers, which have more protein than almost any other root vegetable.

And asbin seeds are even more so, at about 35% protein and 18% fat. These can be eaten dried or roasted, ground down to make asbin flour, and can be also brewed to make a coffee-like drink. Small wonder, then, that asbin has since spread around the world, and become a staple crop in many countries. Asbin beans are also used as a cure for vertigo, and their use as an effective remedy for smallpox would eventually play a critical role in the tale of Papuan civilization's rise to prominence...

[1] Papua- the official name of the island of New Guinea ITTL
[2] Kaiwa Strait= OTL's Torres Strait
[3] Gulf of Baralku= OTL's Gulf of Carpentaria (regarding 2, 3 & 4, I didn't think it'd be feasible for them to still have their OTL names ITTL, not when the coastlines around them are set to be at least ten times more populated by the time the Europeans arrive)
[4] With Papua more populous than OTL's Java ITTL, and with Melanesians comprising a far greater portion of the world's population ITTL, the continent's more commonly known by the name of 'Meganesia', with 'Australia' not acknowledged as the name of the continent as a whole.
[5] aka D. alata, or 'Purple Yam'- as IOTL.
[6] aka Psophocarpus tetragonolobus, or 'Winged Bean'- only 'discovered' and first cultivated by the Japanese occupation forces in the region during WW2 IOTL, a mere 70 years ago, though it's been collected by native foragers for centuries. Dubbed as a 'supercrop', it's effectively the wild potato, soybean and spinach combined into a single plant, with higher yields and higher protein content in all departments- all of the info on the plant is 100% true, even its utilization as a smallpox remedy. Perhaps the most underutilized crop in the world IOTL, but it's already widely gaining recognition by farmers and consumers across southern Asia for its variety of uses and disease resistance, as well as for its potential to become a major multi-use food crop in the tropics of Asia, Africa, and Latin America. So then, how much more of an impact will it have ITTL as a founder crop, when domesticated and widely cultivated by the peoples of the Sepik more than 4000 years earlier? Wait and find out...

So, here it is- my first main TL, exploring the full potential of a New Guinean civilization. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
So, here it is- my first main TL, exploring the full potential of a New Guinean civilization. Any thoughts?
Sure.

What's their route out of the highlands? OTL, their agriculture package mostly doesn't work in Lowland NG (climate and poor soil), that and malaria keeping them in their sky island. Greater population just (very) gradually pushing them farther and farther down (with appropriate crop varieties appearing), until they get off NG to better lands?

Subscribed

Zachariah

Banned
Thanks for all the subscriptions everyone! I'll try and get the next chapter posted soon- stay tuned!
Sure.

What's their route out of the highlands? OTL, their agriculture package mostly doesn't work in Lowland NG (climate and poor soil), that and malaria keeping them in their sky island. Greater population just (very) gradually pushing them farther and farther down (with appropriate crop varieties appearing), until they get off NG to better lands?

Subscribed

Their route out of the highlands, at least initially for the big players in the story of Papuan civilization ITTL, will be the Sepik River Valley, and its tributaries, which lead all the way back up to the Wahgi River (the river valley in which the Kuk Swamp archaeological site lies). And even with their agricultural package IOTL, that simply wasn't true- taro was a crop which was at the very limit of its range up in the highlands, and which grows far better at lower altitudes. Bananas also grow better at lower altitudes, as does breadfruit, and genetic studies indicate that the domesticated varieties of both of these plants originated on New Guinea even IOTL.

But the big point of departure ITTL is the early cultivation of the winged bean, aka 'asbin' to the Sepik peoples, a recently discovered plant native to the Sepik river valley, which grows all the way from up in the highlands right down to the coasts- and the thing which makes asbin such a critical game-changer for Papuan civilization is that it's a nitrogen-fixing plant, which grows perfectly well in unfertilized nitrogen-poor soils, and which can itself be used to improve nutrient-poor soil with nitrogen by turning it over into the soil. As such, it isn't just a founder crop (which the Papuans weren't really lacking in IOTL); the reason why it'll have such a large impact, and facilitate a higher level of Papuan civilization, is because it also offers an indigenous New Guinean equivalent of Terra Preta, holding the key to establishing permanent, sustained farming fields and agricultural settlements down in the rainforests. As for malaria- sure, it's a limiting factor, but no more so than across the rest of the Malay archipelago.

Very interested, since I was born in Rabaul, anything Papuan tingles my spidey sense :). And I can confirm that winged beans are quite delicious BTW. Suscribed!

I appreciate this, I really do but all Winged Bean species including Psophocarpus tetragonolobus is very likely from Africa.

Psophocarpus scandens are specific to Eastern African islands such as Seychelles, Madagascar and Comoros; tetragonolobus likely existed in one of those islands as well or is a hybrid domesticate of one or more P. species that was likely brought to Papua, the Highlands and Southeast Asia through trade.

Last edited:
I appreciate this, I really do but all Winged Bean species including Psophocarpus tetragonolobus is very likely from Africa.

Psophocarpus scandens are specific to Eastern African islands such as Seychelles, Madagascar and Comoros; tetragonolobus likely existed in one of those islands as well or is a hybrid domesticate of one or more P. species that was likely brought to Papua, the Highlands and Southeast Asia through trade.

Just out of curiosity where does that information come from? because i've always assumed they from PNG.

Most researchers of winged bean state this, it's even in the scientific and agricultural research around Winged Bean expansion to the Equatorial global South

http://wingedbeanflyer.org/psophocarpus/wbotext1.html

Thanks, good article but correct me if I misunderstand but doesn't this support the Melanesian origin theory?

Summary
The winged bean (Psophocarpus tetragonolobus (L.) DC.) is a leguminous vegetable plant of the humid tropics. Its origins are obscure; while the other eight named species of Psophocarpus DC. are African, the winged bean is essentially a crop of Asia and the Western Pacific.

Two hypotheses have been proposed to explain this anomaly. One, supported by much recent taxonomic research, postulates that the progenitor of winged bean arose on the African side of the Indian Ocean whence it was carried East and domesticated through human cultivation. The alternative, implies a wider natural distribution for Psophocarpus, with the winged bean first domesticated within an Indian centre in one model, or within island Southeast Asia and Melanesia in another variation.

This review of literature and of research into genetic variation in the winged bean concludes that the evidence is still insufficient to eliminate either hypothesis, but reveals diverse circumstantial evidence for the antiquity of the domesticate in Asia and Melanesia.

Thanks, good article but correct me if I misunderstand but doesn't this support the Melanesian origin theory?

It's literally stating that in spite of it's likely African origin it's been in Asia and Melanesia for quite a bit.

Finger Millet, Pearl Millet, Sorghum, Guar bean, Hyacinth bean, Roselle Baobab, Bambara and a host of other plants are all from Ethiopia and Sudan and coastal east africa; that however doesn't deny the fact of more recent introduction to south and Southeast Asia which the study states once you read it.

It wasn't a part of Kuk and there is no archeological evidence of it in southeast Asia or PNG. It's related to Indian Ocean littoral trade likely amongst the ancestors of Malagasy who were crisscrossing the Indian ocean for thousands of years.

Later than this ATL however.

Last edited:

Zachariah

Banned

Well, that's very interesting. I figured that the tetragonolobus species was native to New Guinea, in a similar manner to the laxiflorum species of Sorghum, vexillata and lanceolata species of Vigna, and at least five different species of Oryza (rice) being native to New Guinea- at least, that's what the encyclopedia said. And even with the article you cited, I could easily go along with their alternative model of the Psophocarpus genus having a wider natural distribution, and of this specific species of it first being domesticated in Melanesia ITTL. After all, even they admit "that the evidence is still insufficient to eliminate either hypothesis"; and the only evidence they cite of the species being African in origin is the fact that "since all the other members of Psophocarpus are located there, it must be African", which is a logical fallacy. Anyhow, I've already started, so I figure I'll run with it anyway. Fair enough?

Well, that's very interesting. I figured that the tetragonolobus species was native to New Guinea, in a similar manner to the laxiflorum species of Sorghum, vexillata and lanceolata species of Vigna, and at least five different species of Oryza (rice) being native to New Guinea- at least, that's what the encyclopedia said. And even with the article you cited, I could easily go along with their alternative model of the Psophocarpus genus having a wider natural distribution, and of this specific species of it first being domesticated in Melanesia ITTL. After all, even they admit "that the evidence is still insufficient to eliminate either hypothesis"; and the only evidence they cite of the species being African in origin is the fact that "since all the other members of Psophocarpus are located there, it must be African", which is a logical fallacy. Anyhow, I've already started, so I figure I'll run with it anyway. Fair enough?

The domesticated species of aforementioned grains, pulses and fruits are rooted in African horticulture and flora.

There is no archaeological evidence for Psophocarpus in Asia or Oceania, just as there is no evidence for sweet potato which until a few centuries ago arrived with the Portuguese.

I'm not saying this ATL shouldn't be done. However, the only reason why Melanesia is considered a potential source is because of it's adoption in the Highlands as a crop. But so is Sweet Potato which is not a domesticate of the region.

Southern PNG has only recently adopted it, in several regions of the Highlands the root as a crop is unknown until recently and only 30 names for the crop is known compared to 400 for sweet potato. This is on contrast to sugarcane, taro, banana which are known to exist within the fabric of PNG horticultural tradition.

There is no evidence of the plant in Asia or Oceania in either it's wild or domesticated form unlike most other plants.

Unlike every other plant domesticated in these two regions.

The only evidence that exists are wild relatives found in the Western Indian Ocean which isn't just some cop out, it's deduction, one that is considered likely by modern researchers.

Zachariah

Banned
The domesticated species of aforementioned grains, pulses and fruits are rooted in African horticulture and flora.

There is no archaeological evidence for Psophocarpus in Asia or Oceania, just as there is no evidence for sweet potato which until a few centuries ago arrived with the Portuguese.

I'm not saying this ATL shouldn't be done. However, the only reason why Melanesia is considered a potential source is because of it's adoption in the Highlands as a crop. But so is Sweet Potato which is not a domesticate of the region.

Southern PNG has only recently adopted it, in several regions of the Highlands the root as a crop is unknown until recently and only 30 names for the crop is known compared to 400 for sweet potato. This is on contrast to sugarcane, taro, banana which are known to exist within the fabric of PNG horticultural tradition.

There is no evidence of the plant in Asia or Oceania in either it's wild or domesticated form unlike most other plants.

Unlike every other plant domesticated in these two regions.

The only evidence that exists are wild relatives found in the Western Indian Ocean which isn't just some cop out, it's deduction, one that is considered likely by modern researchers.

But Northern New Guinea is the only place on earth where Psophocarpus tetragonolobus grows wild. That study which you cited was published back in 2002- at that time, the wild progenitor of the crop hadn't been verified, and thus they state that "the wild progenitor of winged bean, perhaps resembling P.grandiflorus, has become extinct or has yet to be located within Asia." But in the fifteen years since then, it now has been; in the rainforests of the middle and lower Sepik basin of North-West Papua New Guinea. Just because a genus originates somewhere doesn't mean that every single species belonging to that genus must originate there as well- that's just stupid. Yes, it's the only recorded non-African species belonging to the genus. So what?

But Northern New Guinea is the only place on earth where Psophocarpus tetragonolobus grows wild. That study which you cited was published back in 2002- at that time, the wild progenitor of the crop hadn't been verified, and thus they state that "the wild progenitor of winged bean, perhaps resembling P.grandiflorus, has become extinct or has yet to be located within Asia." But in the fifteen years since then, it now has been; in the rainforests of the middle and lower Sepik basin of North-West Papua New Guinea. Just because a genus originates somewhere doesn't mean that every single species belonging to that genus must originate there as well- that's just stupid. Yes, it's the only recorded non-African species belonging to the genus. So what?
Is there any proof that these are not naturalized wing bean from abandoned swiddens? Sechium Edule has overran gardens and found throughout PNG, how can you say this isn't the same? Especially when they have naturalized in Jamaica and Brazil? Can that be confirmed?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.