La Tierra Fortunada: A Better, and Nicer, Mexico.

Here's another piece of the synopsis. Hopefully, I'll have more completed in a couple days. :D

Many in the United States have also been concerned about the various goings on in Texas and Mexico, and there are there is increasing agitation for the intervention of Washington in said conflict. And there continues to be bitter division amongst Americans as how to handle Texas.

In the South, there are definitely a fair number of people for the annexation of Texas, not only for fear of it becoming a British puppet, but also to further the expansion of slavery; however, though, there are many who have begun to oppose such, for fears that Texas might possibly reject slavery in some fashion(even if not banning it outright, necessarily), even if only to keep Mexico from invading again.

And up north, there are some who would prefer that Texas be left alone; they don't want anymore slave states in the Union if it can be helped. But, on the other hand, there is a growing amount of support for annexation, too; not all Texians are overtly pro-slavery, and there's a feeling that some might actually be willing to go for at least gradual emancipation of enslaved African-Americans, if nothing else, even if some opposition does rise up(as it inevitably would, unfortunately) to the idea from the more reactionary sections of Texas society.

Butterflies have only begun to reach Europe relatively recently, but reached, they have: Britain, France, the Netherlands, and Belgium have all recognized Texas as a sovereign and independent nation. And not only that, but some Germans, too, have recently taken an interest in Texas, too, though of a different kind: colonization, of said territory. Already, a few societies such as the Adelsverein and the
German Emigration Company, where dedicating their operations to such a purpose. In fact, just recently, the town of Industry was founded, just west of Austin, the first town in all of Texas to be founded by Germans.....

Any questions, comments, etc. are welcome. And I'll be taking a mini-vacation of sorts, but if anyone wants to talk to me in person, you can use the PM system if you'd like. I hope you liked the spoilers so far, as there's more coming. :D

Here's the final draft of the opening of Chapter 3.

I like the updates Caliboy1990:cool:

Waiting the return of the TL

And it's coming back.

So, there might be a Texian Civil War? With proxy fighting by different factions?

Nothing quite like that here.

Chapter 3: Texas-Mexican War, part 2, and Van Buren's Revenge.

It's now July 1st, 1843. Texas and Mexico remain in a state of war, and the fighting is only becoming more and more intense, both with the Lipan Apaches joining the fray, and with Santa Anna's conscription program in full swing. Several Texas towns have already been occupied by the Mexicans, including Refugio, Goliad, Victoria, and La Baca, and more are in danger of falling themselves at any time, and even the people of San Antonio are getting a little leery. To make matters worse, the Mexicans aren't the only enemy Texas has to deal with, either; there are still Comanche raiders plundering around S.A., Austin, and other places in the central part of the country, wreaking havoc.
However, though, things aren't looking all bad for Texas; Santa Anna has called up about as many enlisted soldiers as he can find, and willing volunteers aren't easy to find anymore, even amongst his devotees; while on the other hand, some American volunteers, from both the North and the South, are still coming to Texas offering to help the Texians to fight off Santa Anna's invaders.

Though many Texians did come from the South, there were also a fair number from the Northern states as well; Lysander Spooner, the unlikeliest of pioneers, amongst them. And speaking of Mr. Spooner, he himself has formed a volunteer corps. of his own, mostly Northerners but with a slight few Southerners sprinkled in as well; what makes them so special? They all share one thing in common; they are all anti-slavery. Every single one of them. They're also mainly for a Union with the United States as well(though some, not so much). Spooner's men have seen little in the way of combat but they are all about to be put to the test, and sooner than they might think.....

Santa Anna may be feeling a little smug about Texas at the moment, but he has been having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that his Mexico hasn't been winning all of its battles: Insurgencies in Zacatecas, Potosi, and Coahuila continue to chafe against his iron will, and even worse, the Yucatan, which had already been a problem a couple of years ago, is now all but totally lost to his control. And they're starting to spread, too: reports from Guanajuato and Chiapas are now indicating that similar problems have begun to develop there as well. Reports of unusual activity in California over the past year or so, haven't gone unnoticed, as well. And even with his most recent victories, Santa Anna continues to grow more and more wary, and may eventually descend into outright paranoia.....

In America, Martin Van Buren, after amazingly managing to win a second term by just the slimmest of margins yet seen, has begun to realize that he was in error by following Jackson's dubious economic policies. In 1841, he had begun to work with Congress on trying to find some short-term, and hopefully, at some point, long-term, solutions to the problems which still haunted the nation. So far, it appears that the fix has been successful, as many more honest banks that had suffered have been propped back up(though less reputable institutions have been allowed to fail), and many smaller businesses had their debts forgiven so they could have a better chance at surviving the hard times.
Even so, the damage will still take a little time to heal completely and some Democrats, and a few Whigs, continue to throw roadblocks in Van Buren's path.

Many in the United States have also been concerned about the various goings on in Texas and Mexico, and there are there is increasing agitation for the intervention of Washington in said conflict. And there continues to be bitter division amongst Americans as how to handle Texas.

In the South, there are definitely a fair number of people for the annexation of Texas, not only for fear of it becoming a British puppet, but also to further the expansion of slavery; however, though, there are many who have begun to oppose such, for fears that Texas might possibly reject slavery in some fashion(even if not banning it outright, necessarily), even if only to keep Mexico from invading again.

And up north, there are some who would prefer that Texas be left alone; they don't want anymore slave states in the Union if it can be helped. But, on the other hand, there is a growing amount of support for annexation, too; not all Texians are overtly pro-slavery, and there's a feeling that some might actually be willing to go for at least gradual emancipation of enslaved African-Americans, if nothing else, even if some opposition does rise up(as it inevitably would, unfortunately) to the idea from the more reactionary sections of Texas society.

Butterflies have only begun to reach Europe relatively recently, but reached, they have: Britain, France, the Netherlands, and Belgium have all recognized Texas as a sovereign and independent nation. And not only that, but some Germans, too, have recently taken an interest in Texas, too, though of a different kind: colonization, of said territory. Already, a few societies such as the Adelsverein and the
German Emigration Company, where dedicating their operations to such a purpose. In fact, just recently, the town of Industry was founded, just west of Austin, the first town in all of Texas to be founded by Germans.

But in a more general sense, while things may seem largely peaceful on the outside, there does exist a fair amount of underlying discontent in many countries, such as France, Germany, Hungary, and many others. France, in particular, has seen a major upswing in anti-Royalist sentiment, particularly in the northern areas, as well as the southeast of the country, with Marseilles in particular being eyed as a potential headquarters by at least a few enterprising French wannabe revolutionaries.

The German States, too, are beginning to become noticeable hotspots of dissent as well. Men such as Joseph Fickler, Franz Hecker, Gustav von Struve, as well as Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, are beginning to make themselves heard by the people, especially Fickler and Marx & Engels. The nobility knows that they are safe for now, but worry about what the future may hold.....and that future may just come sooner than they think.

And in Hungary, too, men of revolutionary spirit are restless. Lajos Kossuth, in particular, has recovered from a bout of ill health and has begun to work behind the scenes for political, and social reform.....and so have his contemporaries, such as Istvan Szechenyi and Ferenc Deak.

And then there's the strange case of Italy. Who knows how things could turn out there?

The Path towards revolution has begun!

Now, here's Chapter 3 of “La Tierra Afortunada”.

I hope you liked it. :)

Originally posted by CaliBoy1990
German Emigration Company, where dedicating their operations to such a purpose. In fact, just recently, the town of Industry was founded, just west of Austin, the first town in all of Texas to be founded by Germans.

But in a more general sense, while things may seem largely peaceful on the outside, there does exist a fair amount of underlying discontent in many countries, such as France, Germany, Hungary, and many others. France, in particular, has seen a major upswing in anti-Royalist sentiment, particularly in the northern areas, as well as the southeast of the country, with Marseilles in particular being eyed as a potential headquarters by at least a few enterprising French wannabe revolutionaries.

The German States, too, are beginning to become noticeable hotspots of dissent as well. Men such as Joseph Fickler, Franz Hecker, Gustav von Struve, as well as Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, are beginning to make themselves heard by the people, especially Fickler and Marx & Engels. The nobility knows that they are safe for now, but worry about what the future may hold.....and that future may just come sooner than they think.

And in Hungary, too, men of revolutionary spirit are restless. Lajos Kossuth, in particular, has recovered from a bout of ill health and has begun to work behind the scenes for political, and social reform.....and so have his contemporaries, such as Istvan Szechenyi and Ferenc Deak.

And then there's the strange case of Italy. Who knows how things could turn out there?

And this means that the TL becomes international:)

I hope you liked it

Yes, definitively I like it:cool:

And this means that the TL becomes international:)

Yes, definitively I like it:cool:

Yes it did, and thank you.
Unfortunately, it looks like I've hit a brick wall again, so if any readers out there would like to offer some suggestions, whether on here, or via PM, or both, maybe, please do!

Unfortunately I am no expert in Texas history:(

I could suggest that you could have an update about the internal situation in Mexico, for example what forces are against Santa Ana, name of leaders, situation in the diverse states (Yucatan, Zacatecas..) it has been mentioned but a more detailed description could be interesting.

Unfortunately I am no expert in Texas history:(

I could suggest that you could have an update about the internal situation in Mexico, for example what forces are against Santa Ana, name of leaders, situation in the diverse states (Yucatan, Zacatecas..) it has been mentioned but a more detailed description could be interesting.

Thanks for the advice, and sorry it took me so long. Bad luck has been kicking me in the keister, AGAIN, these past several weeks. :(

But maybe eventually, after that's out of the way, we can take a nice look at Central America as well.....:)

Thanks for the advice, and sorry it took me so long. Bad luck has been kicking me in the keister, AGAIN, these past several weeks. :(

But maybe eventually, after that's out of the way, we can take a nice look at Central America as well.....

No problem, I know how real could be the real life. In any case good news to see you returning to the thread:)

No problem, I know how real could be the real life. In any case good news to see you returning to the thread:)

Thanks. First thing on the agenda is to try to finish up the fight for Texas, as well as covering the first bits of the immediate years before the 1847-48 revolutions in Europe(which I'll need help with, btw).

Although I'll be taking the entire month of October off the site, so I won't be able to post on the boards; whatever updates are completed during that time, I'll need someone else to post them for me.....

If you need help, no problem:)

If you want I could give you my e-mail. You can send me the possible updates and I will post this in your name in the thread.

A nation that deserves far better luck than in OTL.

If at least we could avoid this in the future of TTL, it would be a very good thing

View attachment 197158

What's unfortunate is that it's even worse now in that fewer cartels have more power and influence. This is Mexico as of May 2013:

Cartel+map+2013.png

If you need help, no problem:)

If you want I could give you my e-mail. You can send me the possible updates and I will post this in your name in the thread.

I would very much appreciate that, thank you. :(

What's unfortunate is that it's even worse now in that fewer cartels have more power and influence. This is Mexico as of May 2013:

Cartel+map+2013.png

Yeah, that IS quite unfortunate. I probably wouldn't be able to really cover the issue of TTL's Drug Wars for quite a while, but I can tell you that Mexico won't have nearly as many problems as it did IOTL.....but any cartels that do form are gonna be *somewhere*.....

A taste to come.

So I finally got the chance to start on Chapter 3.....Here's what I got so far:

Excerpts from “Texas History: 1810-1992”, by William F. Davidson.

The Texians were in a bad situation in July of 1843; the Mexican Army had managed to seize several port towns in the south of the country and were quickly moving to the east-northeast at a fairly quick rate; La Baca, Victoria, Texana and several other towns had fallen by the middle of the month and it appeared to many, based largely on what few communiques they could intercept from the various Mexican officers, that the towns of Palacios, Dimitos, Columbia, Velasco, and Brazoria, Texas were all next in line to be trampled by the Mexican Army.

In any case, President Houston realized that the Texians needed to act quickly and rally some of their forces southward towards the besieged Gulf Coast. They were able to send about 2,000 men southwards to fight the Mexicans off, but unfortunately, forcing them back was easier said than actually done, as Santa Anna's men still continued to increase in number.....

However, though, some good news came their way as well; on July 9th, a letter written to several Texian officials informed them that another 5,000 men were to come to Texas by way of Louisiana and Arkansas, as part of a volunteer force. Quite fortunate for the Texians, too, because the Mexicans were about to make their next major move. But at least this time, they would be more prepared.....

Hope you like it. More to come, hopefully sometime soon. :cool: