Kohl wins in 1998: SPD candidate for 2002 elections?

Ok, let's say that Gerhard Schroder wins a bit less overwhelming victory in 1998 Lower Saxony elections. OTL, Schroder promised that he would not stand in chancellor elections if received less than 42 percent of the vote, (During IRL Lower Saxony elections he received almost 48 percent). In this scenario, Schroeder ends up with 41 percent of the vote in Lower Saxony and Oskar Lafontaine is the social-democratic nominee in 1998.

Kohl manages to portray Lafontaine as radical leftist and Lafontaine himself campaigns worse compared to Schroder. Kohl stays chancellor until 2002...

So, who the SPD is going to nominate in 2002 in such situation? Most probably someone from the right wing of the Party considering Lafontaine's fail. But who exactly (except Schroder) ?

Last edited:
I was going to say Lafontaine, but then I saw that he was the (unsuccessful) candidate in 98 in this scenario.

If not him, but someone to the right of him, then maybe Wolfgang Clement? In 1998 he was the Ministerpräsident of the largest German state, Nordrhein-Westfalen, a traditional stronghold of the social-democrats, which could give him enough clout to become Lafontaine’s successor. He definitely belonged more to the right wing of the SPD; he was pro-nuclear, pro coal and gas, favored welfare reform, was against the minimum wage, and was strongly against any cooperation between the SPD and the ‘Linke’. In 2008 he even left the SPD due to its perceived leftward drift.
I think he would be the most likely candidate to be the social-democratic candidate in 2002 (and after 20 years of CDU he’s definitely gonna win).

Btw, I doubt Kohl would remain chancellor until 2002 even if he won in 98. He will most likely fall during the donations scandal of 1999/2000, and after him Wolfgang Schäuble will probably be chancellor until the CDU inevitably loses the 2002 election.

Last edited:
I was going to say Lafontaine, but then I saw that he was the (unsuccessful) candidate in 98 in this scenario.

If not him, but someone to the right of him, them maybe Wolfgang Clement? In 1998 he was the Ministerpräsident of the largest German state, Nordrhein-Westfalen, a traditional stronghold of the social-democrats, which could give him enough clout to become Lafontaine’s successor. He definitely belonged more to the right wing of the SPD; he was pro-nuclear, pro coal and gas, favored welfare reform, was against the minimum wage, and was strongly against any cooperation between the SPD and the ‘Linke’. In 2008 he even left the SPD due to its perceived leftward drift.
I think he would be the most likely candidate to be the social-democratic candidate in 2002 (and after 20 years of CDU he’s definitely gonna win).

Btw, I doubt Kohl would remain chancellor until 2002 even if he won in 98. He will most likely fall during the donations scandal of 1999/2000, and after him Wolfgang Schäuble will probably be chancellor until the CDU inevitably loses the 2002 election.
Nice answer, considering that there is not so much threads about post-war German politics I thought nobody would answer.

Actually, what do you think about Clement's chancellorship and CDU leaders in my scenario? Would Clement oppose the Iraq war or remain more staunchly Atlantist (basically literal "German Blair") ? Would Merkel still become the CDU leader?

Nice answer, considering that there is not so much threads about post-war German politics I thought nobody would answer.

Actually, what do you think about Clement's chancellorship and CDU leaders in my scenario? Would Clement oppose the Iraq war or remain more staunchly Atlantist (basically literal "German Blair") ? Would Merkel still become the CDU leader?

While he would have some commonalities with someone like Blair, there would also be significant differences, even regarding economic policy. Clement, like most social-democrats of his era, was very much in favor of a pro-industrial policy, to facilitate and maintain a strong manufacturing base, as opposed to transitioning Germany to a service economy like Britain did. IOTL, during his time as minister of the economy he frequently clashed with his party’s coalition partner, the Greens, since Clement was a strong proponent of nuclear power, but also wanted to support Germany’s domestic coal industry.

Regarding foreign policy, I’m pretty sure Clement would be in the tradition of past social-democratic chancellors and be pro-European first and foremost, as opposed to being an Atlanticist, so I think he would be opposed to the Iraq war. Overall I think his foreign policy would look very similar to that of Schröder.

As for Merkel and the CDU, if Kohl wins again in 98, then Kohl remains party chairman, and won’t be replaced by Wolfgang Schäuble (at least not immediately). IOTL it was Schäuble who suggested to the party that Merkel should become the new general-secretary in late 1998; without his patronage this probably doesn’t happen, and she remains minister for the environment. Once the donation scandal becomes public and Kohl (probably) steps down as chancellor, Schäuble will probably take over as chancellor and party chairman for the remainder of the term.

But I think the electorate’s general exhaustion after 20 years of CDU rule, combined with their donation scandal as well as their support for the upcoming Iraq war, means that the 2002 election would most likely be a defeat of historic proportions for the CDU, much worse than 98 or 02 were IOTL. Schäuble will probably step down as party chairman, and someone else will succeed him. Since Merkel doesn’t occupy the influential post of general-secretary, she most likely won’t have the internal party support to become the new chairwoman. Instead, the most likely successor to Kohl and Schäuble as CDU chairman will be Volker Rühe, who was Kohl’s defence minister, and one of the top candidates for the post IOTL besides Merkel.

It’s actually quite possible that the CDU’s defeat in 2002 would be so bad, that the SPD gets enough votes to form a government on their own, without the need for a coalition partner. IOTL the SPD in 1998 got 41%, the CDU 35%. Let’s say in 2002 the SPD gets 5% more, and the CDU 5% less, that would put them at 46% vs 30%. If the PDS and/or the FDP fail to pass the 5% hurdle (which did happen for the PDS IOTL), then their percentages get distributed among the other parties, which should be enough to put the SPD over 50%. So there’s a good chance that 2002 is the most successful election for the SPD in all its history.

I also think the SPD under Clement would win re-election in 2006, like Schröder did IOTL in 2002, though they’ll undergo the same internal battles regarding economic and social policy as they did IOTL, so some members of the party’s left wing will still leave and form some kind of left-wing party. Though it will be delayed by a couple of years, since here the SPD only got back into power in 2002 instead of 1998. Also, their re-election in 2006 will most likely have a smaller margin than their historic 2002 result, so they’ll probably need a coalition partner for their second term. I could see Clement preferring the FDP over the Greens, since IOTL he really didn’t like the latter’s stance on nuclear and coal.

The CDU meanwhile would probably remain under Volker Rühe’s leadership even if they lose the 2006 election, since they’ll probably at least regain a significant amount of the votes they lost in 2002, even if it’s not enough to beat the social-democrats. But by 2010 at the latest (if Clement’s second term lasts that long) the CDU will probably be the strongest party again, since the SPD will have lost a significant amount of support over its economic reforms, just like IOTL.

Last edited:
Ok, let's say that Gerhard Schroder wins a bit less overwhelming victory in 1998 Lower Saxony elections. OTL, Schroder promised that he would not stand in chancellor elections if received less than 42 percent of the vote, (During IRL Lower Saxony elections he received almost 48 percent). In this scenario, Schroeder ends up with 41 percent of the vote in Lower Saxony and Oskar Lafontaine is the social-democratic nominee in 1998.

Kohl manages to portray Lafontaine as radical leftist and Lafontaine himself campaigns worse compared to Schroder. Kohl stays chancellor until 2002...
Even against Lafontaine, Kohl would probably find it difficult to still hold on to a majority. If Red-Green fails to gain a majority of their own in 1998, which is within the realm of the plausible with that PoD, and the PDS enters the Bundestag like it did IOTL, there would be no majority for either bloc. (Although the PDS barely made the 5 % barrier, they gained enough direct mandates, and I fail to see how the PoD would affect that. So even with 4.9 % for the PDS, they would still field thirty-something parliamentarians.

Great coalition seven years earlier?

Also, like Rufus said, Kohl would not survive the scandal. And Schäuble would get ousted in 2002.
So, who the SPD is going to nominate in 2002 in such situation? Most probably someone from the right wing of the Party considering Lafontaine's fail. But who exactly (except Schroder) ?
If CDU, CSU and FDP really hold on to a majority - I absolutely don't see that happening, they were 48 seats away from it IOTL... - then you may be right about someone from the right wing might sound like a plausible consequence of the 1998 failure. On the other hand, a lot will happen in these four years in between. Maybe the Kohl cabinet joins the Kosovo War in 1999 like Schröder did, but now the Greens are in the opposition. Maybe they go ahead with their 39.6 % top income tax rate reform, and the SPD is in the opposition now. Then the scandal comes. And Dubya is elected in the US and then 9/11 comes along and Afghanistan and Guantanamo and all that and the Union was the staunchest pro-American party back then so maybe they join here, too, and again the Greens and SPD are in opposition... Unemployment is high... The CDU/CSU will look like a pushover in 2002. I'm not sure everyone would just fall in line behind Clement. Clement was really unpopular with the left, a lot more so than Schröder, and would have to win big in Northrine-Westphalia.

My alternative candidate is Hans Eichel. If Kohl barely holds on to power and the Greens stay in opposition instead of getting blamed by their pacifist voters for joining in the Kosovo War, Hesse stays Red-Green, and Koch loses. Eichel is not a left-winger like Lafontaine, but he is a palatable candidate for both the left and the right wing of the SPD, and he has demonstrated that he can work well in a coalition with Greens. Between Lafontaine on the left and Clement on the right, he is a centrist candidate from a smaller yet not insignificant land. The SPD has shown to favour such candidates in 1994...

Also, why does Schröder only get 41%?
In 1998, many stars aligned for a SPD-right winger like him what with the media hype about Giddens"s Third Way after Blair's Victory in 1997. All that talk about a "Neue Mitte" will BE gone in 2002. The window for a SPD-right winger may have closed then, especially for someone like Clement.

1. Even if he would have scored below 41 % (for whatever improbable reason) in the Niedersachsen election Gerhard Schröder would have gone for chancellor candidacy. ... he was/is such a power lewd ruthless ... politician :confounded:. At and after the party rally for nomination he would very likely framed his retreat from his former statement as "serving the party's will and 'plea' of the party to serve as candidate". ... or some other shennanigan as excuse
  2. Regardless who would have battled Helmuth Kohl in 1998 ... would have won anyway. Germany was simply fed off the fat Ogre from Oggersheim.

Now, beyond the question of an SPD candidate in 2002, there is a huge question lurking behind this entire complex, and I'm sure it's been discussed before here, but I'll address it nevertheless:
The Schröder era of 1998 to 2005 changed the German political landscape - and beyond it, society and economy, too - massively.
An SPD-led government cutting back welfare so severely as in the Agenda 2010 reforms, especially creating such a precarious low-wage sector, destroyed the SPD as the party of the working person forever. Admittedly, policies like raising the pension age to 67 and the VAT from 16 to 19 % only came in the great coalition 2005-2009, but by then the SPD was hopelessly on its odyssey into neoliberalism. Whatever the SPD has done afterwards, be it minimum wage laws or the current Bürgergeld law, they will never recover. Into that political void, a new polical party (Linkspartei, then Die Linke) stepped, the synthesis of the post-communist SED with the Western anti-Agenda reform protest group WASG. The strength of Die Linke in the late 2000s and early 2010s changed a lot by itself: by now, they no longer function as a post-communist representative of the East and also not as a populist projection space.
Also, participating in Schröder's cabinets changed the Greens deeply. They participated in the Kosovo War, in KFOR and ISAF, and thus severed their pacifist ties. Without that, not only would they now be the party most staunchly supporting military support for Ukraine right now. Without this demonstration of pragmatism, the Greens would probably not have been able to break into centrist electorates which they have repeatedly been able to capture ever since, going so far as to achieve more than 30 % in Baden-Württemberg and having a Green PM there. The Greens have finished their transformation from a leftist movement party into a progressive-centrist party elected by liberal urban middle classes broadly, but that all depended on their coalition action in 1998-2005. They did achieve something back then: the EEG (renewable energy laws) began the expansion of renewables in Germany and even created an industry there (which was ruined on purpose by later governments), and exiting from nuclear power was decided for the first time.
Now, these two transformations have complemented each other: as the SPD lost their hold on the centre-left electorate (in a more traditonal alliance between organised labour and progressive middle classes), the Greens have been able to capture a sizable chunk of it (and Die Linke in the meantime, too, but they lost it again). The Greens, much more than the SPD before them at least in the last decades of the 20th century, stand for cultural transformations among the middle classes, too. They not only snatched progressive voters from the SPD, but also centrist urban middle class voters from the CDU. That, in turn, has enticed Merkel to lead the CDU more into the centre of the political spectrum.

So, the big question is:
Had Schröder not won in 1998, would all these transformations not have happened? THat is, would Germany now look more like its Scandinavian neighbors: with a Social Democratic Party still dominating the centre-left, and Greens being a decidedly leftist party but small, while the CDU would have stayed more conservative and never lost hold over the radical fringe of conservatism? Would the PDS have stayed the post-communist party of the East, and of a few radicals in the West?
Would that even have meant that the neoliberal reforms of the early 2000s would not have become a reality, probably only partly advocating for by the CDU but still opposed by the parties of the centre-left?

My answer to this question has changed over time. I was one of those red-green voters who were really, really upset with the Agenda 2010 and who voted Die Linke for quite a while, even radicalising myself ideologically. I tended to blame Schröder (and much of the rest of both governing parties) for all the neoliberal stuff that they did, and that was done afterwards, too, or at least for having started it, and I thought that if Schröder had not opened it, the neoliberal Box of Pandora would have remained shut and Germany would not have the kind of unfettered low-income exploitative segment of its job market.

Looking at it with some historical perspective now, I think that's not what would have happened. The political discourse 25, 20, even 15 years ago was so much more economically neoliberal than today's that some neoliberal reforms would have been pushed through by whatever government, even another SPD-led one. Something like what happened over the past weeks in Britain - Truss and Kwarteng announcing tax cuts for the wealthy, and the financial markets plummeting in London, then conservatives backpedalling on it all and even Truss eating her own agenda - would never have happened back then, neither in Britain nor in Germany. It shows how much the political discourse has moved away from neoliberalism. But that's because we've learned what its effects are. Before that, neoliberal promises were strong.
And beyond that, the SPD's ties to the working class vote were bound to erode at some point anyway, if you look at long-term trends in unionisation and all that. It might not have been quite the Pasokisation they went through IOTL, but the 40%+x results of the 1990s were a last hooray.
And the Greens were on their path towards pragmatism anyway. Their breakthrough might have been limited or postponed by another Kohl victory, and ecological transformations might also have been delayed. And the PDS could probably not have played the Eastern card forever, either, although on that one I'm not fully sure.

So - even without Schröder, 1998 (or some similar year) was really likely to be the starting point of a political realignment, and reforms were very likely to happen, and the outcome they would have on the political spectrum, while not determined to be exactly what we see today, would still have worked in directions that we would recognise. Yes, Schröder's victory in 1998 was a watershed, but it would have been quite an implausible TL to imagine a Germany in which none of that for which Schröder's years stand happens and Germany somehow remains in the political alignments of the late 20th century for two or three more decades...

Maybe the Kohl cabinet joins the Kosovo War in 1999 like Schröder did, but now the Greens are in the opposition.
Actually, my scenario which utilizes SPD defeat in 1998 has a PoD revolving around "90s War on Terror" with 1993 WTC bombing results in vertical collapse of one of the Towers. Thus, the Kosovars are treated like "radical islamists" and receive no Western support while Serbs and croats manage to partition Bosnia while convincing everybody else that they "were fighting jihadist state". Basically, that means no Kosovo war and perhaps a more pacifist and leftish Greens (perhaps even a greater merger of PDS-WASG-Grunen?).

I‘m 90% sure that if the CDU had been in power during the Kosovo War, then Germany would not have directly participated in the war. Only a left-wing government was be able to break Germany’s post-war taboo regarding military involvements. There was enough public backlash as is against the SPD-Green government; a conservative administration wouldn’t have survived that imo. They might have gotten away with involvement in Afghanistan after 9/11, but definitely not Kosovo.

Actually, my scenario which utilizes SPD defeat in 1998 has a PoD revolving around "90s War on Terror" with 1993 WTC bombing results in vertical collapse of one of the Towers. Thus, the Kosovars are treated like "radical islamists" and receive no Western support while Serbs and croats manage to partition Bosnia while convincing everybody else that they "were fighting jihadist state". Basically, that means no Kosovo war and perhaps a more pacifist and leftish Greens (perhaps even a greater merger of PDS-WASG-Grunen?).
Don't know about the plausibility of that Bosnian War... (after all, the Bosnian political leadership really wasn't religious at all, let alone Islamist or fundamentalist)
... but the Greens would NEVER have merged with the PDS. They are called Bündnis 90/Die Grünen for a reason: they absorbed much of the opposition movement of the late GDR - people who were already very skeptical when coalitions were debated, but who would certainly not want to be in the same party as those who had oppressed them, spied on them etc. Also, without Agenda 2010 reforms being done by the freaking SPD itself, there will be no WASG. Even beyond the "Bündnis 90" element, the leftism of the Greens has always been of a different brand and flavour from that of the PDS/Linkspartei/Linke: more anarchist/feminist/pacifist/left-libertarian/counter-culturalist. There were a few people from communist groups among them, yes, but even these knew why they chose to be a tiny minority among the Green Party rather than joining the DKP, MLPD or the like. When the PDS tried to take over the mantle of pacifism from the Greens after Kosovo, the Greens laughed that the party with the highest percentage of former military officers among their members now turned pacifist. No, that merger doesn't fly.
No Kosovo War means the Greens don't sever their pacifist roots so harshly, but it doesn't stop the triumph of the Realo wing. It was Realo / centrist Green regional groups who obtained victories and really broke into a larger electorate. And if 1998 gets botched, the Realos will lambast the Fundis for having ruined it all with their demand to raise the price of a liter of gas to 5 DM and similar policy plans deemed too "radical" by them. Joschka Fischer's biographical moment for leadership may pass, but while the Greens would still have their pacifist electorate with them, they would probably attempt to be even more soft-spoken in 2002.

So, basically your idea was that around 2000, the SPD moves to the right but the Greens veer to the left?
I disagree. The SPD was already a really, really moderate, middle-of-the-road party in the 1990s, while the Greens had a generational change ahead of them: from the old "heroes" of the 1970s and 1980s protest movements and their type of counter-culture, which looked outdated and by far not ironical enough for the taste of the late 1990s, towards a new generation of smart young urban political professionals who were very convinced that the common ideas, whose time had really come, could really appeal to a much wider segment of the populace if culturally put differently. (And they were so right about this that it is really hard for me to see how they could not win out.)

Don't know about the plausibility of that Bosnian War... (after all, the Bosnian political leadership really wasn't religious at all, let alone Islamist or fundamentalist)
Claiming that Izitbegovic wasn't religious at all is not true (because entire Bosniak identity revovles around islam) but yeah, Bosnian leadership during 90s was very moderate in comparison to other isalmists (something like Erdogan). But the thing with Bosnia here is that Serbs and Croats just receive much better PR with Western media being hostile towards Bosniaks after successfull WTC bombings in 1993, so that means no lift of arms embago and no NATO airial strikes.
So, basically your idea was that around 2000, the SPD moves to the right but the Greens veer to the left?
Based on your analysis of German politics, I thought that Greens not participating in SPD cabinet under ATL Clement chancellorship (and no Kosovo and Afghan wars) would make them stay as leftish as they were before. Basically, they would have much less reasons to moderate and this process would have been much slower given the alternative enviroment.

Interesting question, not often Germany comes up in topics not related to Hitler.

To answer the question, it's a tough one: Lafontaine wouldn't head the SPD into the elections if he wouldn't have a realistic chance of winning - the experience of 1990, where his candidacy crashed and burned because of reunification euphoria was a big experience for his later life. So we have to ask: Why does he lose? Is his candidacy again a train wreck due to outside circumstances or does Kohl manage to win a razor-thin margin (maybe due to a strong FDP with the CDU becoming second party behind the SPD)? If Lafontaine manages to get the SPD to anything as close as IOTL 1998, I think he will stay on as leader of the opposition.

Maybe he doesn't. But then again, the most boring answer is Schröder - he was still popular within the ranks of his party (even IOTL he got a standing ovation at SPD party congresses as late as 2017!). He is a good populist and can portray a lose as a win.

Clement on the other hand only has an outsider chance - he was an aggressive politician who fought with the courts, his party, the media, etc. He left the SPD because he thought they were too left wing.

Claiming that Izitbegovic wasn't religious at all is not true (because entire Bosniak identity revovles around islam) but yeah, Bosnian leadership during 90s was very moderate in comparison to other isalmists (something like Erdogan). But the thing with Bosnia here is that Serbs and Croats just receive much better PR with Western media being hostile towards Bosniaks after successfull WTC bombings in 1993, so that means no lift of arms embago and no NATO airial strikes.
I'm still not sure about the link you draw between an earlier WTC attack and this Bosnia policy. If the US government views and treats Izetbegovic like / as an al-Qaeda sympathiser, then where the hell does that leave all the rest of the Muslim world? How on Earth do they continue strategic relations with Saudi Arabia and the oil emirates in the Gulf? With Egypt, Jordan and all the other countries they need in order to maintain Middle Eastern stability? If all Muslims are seen as a threat, that's so self-defeating that it doesn't just border on suicidal, it IS suicidal. If Izetbegovic is a problem, then every person with an Islamic background who isn't actively arguing against their own (former) religion is a problem. That is so extreme that not even Dubya went for it. I can't see either Clinton or Bush Sr., if you had the latter win the election, would really go to such extremes.

But I'm no expert on the Bosnian War, and this is a tangent here, so I'll leave that up to you.
Based on your analysis of German politics, I thought that Greens not participating in SPD cabinet under ATL Clement chancellorship (and no Kosovo and Afghan wars) would make them stay as leftish as they were before. Basically, they would have much less reasons to moderate and this process would have been much slower given the alternative enviroment.
Outside government, they would have less reasons to officially embrace military interventionism, painful compromises about nuclear exit and all that, yes. In opposition, they can continue to demand what they like. In that regard, I agree.
But that does not mean they would move to the left because they were not on a leftwards trajectory, and they were not really very hardcore left in 1997 anyway. They were still considered a little "special", but that was already beginning to wear off, and it would continue to wear off in most TLs, even if not as fast as IOTL if they stay outside the governing coalition. But this "specialness", although certainly belonging to the left wing, is not the same as the leftism of the PDS. In opposition, the Greens would be more smug and fare better at the polls than they did IOTL 1999-2004, but they would not move closer to the PDS.
Sorry if I communicated ambiguously or unclearly. If I am still not making sense, please comment.

Also, the way you phrased this almost sounds like you plan a Clement chancellorship without the Greens in 2002ff.?
That really makes no sense to me at all. The Greens would certainly obtain more votes than they did IOTL if they weren't seen as "traitors of our ideals" by some of their traditional electorate. An absolute majority for the SPD is absolutely unthinkable by 2002. So, is Clement governing in a great coalition with the post-scandal big losers of the CDU/CSU? Or do you plan another FDP betrayal, maybe after the scandal? (Westerwelle was crazy enough to try to pull that off.) But, as I said before, Clement is not a likely candidate. And among the likely candidates, Eichel would favour the Greens every day, but Schröder might indeed prefer the FDP for 2002. So, if you want to run that course...
Interesting question, not often Germany comes up in topics not related to Hitler.

To answer the question, it's a tough one: Lafontaine wouldn't head the SPD into the elections if he wouldn't have a realistic chance of winning - the experience of 1990, where his candidacy crashed and burned because of reunification euphoria was a big experience for his later life. So we have to ask: Why does he lose? Is his candidacy again a train wreck due to outside circumstances or does Kohl manage to win a razor-thin margin (maybe due to a strong FDP with the CDU becoming second party behind the SPD)? If Lafontaine manages to get the SPD to anything as close as IOTL 1998, I think he will stay on as leader of the opposition.
The FDP was a train wreck in 1998. I have to agree with you on Lafontaine as leader of the opposition if the SPD comes near OTL, but then if it does, there is no chance for a Kohl cabinet. If he bungles it again, there will be someone shoving him to the side, at least for the 2002 candidacy.
Maybe he doesn't. But then again, the most boring answer is Schröder - he was still popular within the ranks of his party (even IOTL he got a standing ovation at SPD party congresses as late as 2017!). He is a good populist and can portray a lose as a win.

Clement on the other hand only has an outsider chance - he was an aggressive politician who fought with the courts, his party, the media, etc. He left the SPD because he thought they were too left wing.
Agreed. Many SPD leaders are more likely than Clement.

The FDP was a train wreck in 1998.
I know. But I think a resurgent FDP is the only chance for Kohl to stay on - the public was pretty bored (not even annoyed, but bored) of Kohl after 16 years and wanted a fresh start. So I think there is a glass ceiling for the CDU at probably 37%.
If he bungles it again, there will be someone shoving him to the side, at least for the 2002 candidacy.
Agreed on this one, but then again I doubt that Lafontaine wouldn't have learned from his 1990 campaign. In the 1990's he was pretty open to compromise with more conservative elements - see his deal on asylum rights in 1993.

I know. But I think a resurgent FDP is the only chance for Kohl to stay on - the public was pretty bored (not even annoyed, but bored) of Kohl after 16 years and wanted a fresh start. So I think there is a glass ceiling for the CDU at probably 37%.
I agree on the CDU/CSU. I don't have enough imagination for an FDP revival within the coalition, though...
Agreed on this one, but then again I doubt that Lafontaine wouldn't have learned from his 1990 campaign. In the 1990's he was pretty open to compromise with more conservative elements - see his deal on asylum rights in 1993.
I agree on Lafontaine being comparatively more sensible and more strategic in the 1990s. As for the asylum compromise, looking at the kind of stuff he (and his wife) have been saying lately, I'm not sure if he viewed that as too painful... Then again, I don't know if he was that populist back then. Kinda doubt it.

An absolute majority for the SPD is absolutely unthinkable by 2002.

It would depend on how badly the CDU does. If Kohl manages to get another term in 1998 by the skin of his teeth, then I have no doubt that the 2002 election would be a historic disaster for the CDU. I meantioned this before, but the electorate’s general exhaustion after 20 years of CDU rule, coupled with the donations scandal, coupled with their likely support for the upcoming Iraq war, means that they’ll likely get their worst election result ever up to that point. IOTL the SPD got 41% in 1998, while the CDU got 35%. It’s safe to say that the CDU’s result in 2002 in this TL would be significantly worse, and the biggest benefactor of that would be the SPD. No disgruntled former CDU voter is gonna vote for the Greens or the PDS, and the FDP will be seen as an extension of the CDU, so they certainly won’t benefit either. No, most of those former CDU votes will go to the SPD; 45+% is certainly possible. Furthermore, it’s quite possible that both the PDS and the FDP will be beneath the 5% hurdle (it happened to the PDS IOTL, and the FDP will probably also do worse after another 4 years with the CDU), which means other than a couple of direct mandates, the seats that would’ve gone to the PDS and FDP will go to the other parties – the biggest of which would be the SPD. That might be enough to get them over 50%.

Of course, that will certainly be the last and only time the SPD will be able to get a majority on their own, and it’s only because of the specific circumstances of the time, but I don’t think it’s impossible.

I'm still not sure about the link you draw between an earlier WTC attack and this Bosnia policy. If the US government views and treats Izetbegovic like / as an al-Qaeda sympathiser, then where the hell does that leave all the rest of the Muslim world? How on Earth do they continue strategic relations with Saudi Arabia and the oil emirates in the Gulf? With Egypt, Jordan and all the other countries they need in order to maintain Middle Eastern stability? If all Muslims are seen as a threat, that's so self-defeating that it doesn't just border on suicidal, it IS suicidal. If Izetbegovic is a problem, then every person with an Islamic background who isn't actively arguing against their own (former) religion is a problem. That is so extreme that not even Dubya went for it. I can't see either Clinton or Bush Sr., if you had the latter win the election, would really go to such extremes.
Like, the rise of islamophobia which IRL took place after 9/11 would have been moved 8 years back. And by better PR I just mean that Bosniaks wouldn't receive any support from the US, not that Americans would actively support the Serbs (while actually some NATO countries, including Germany, may idirectly back the Croats). And I don't think that American media being cold towards Bosniaks would have changed the relations between America and its Middle Eastern allies.
Sorry if I communicated ambiguously or unclearly. If I am still not making sense, please comment.
No, I got what you mean. Basically, the Green politics in late 90s have been already losing it's leftishness. Like Al Gore is just yet another boring neoliberal who is also into ecology stuff.
Or do you plan another FDP betrayal, maybe after the scandal? (Westerwelle was crazy enough to try to pull that off.)
This.

Last edited:
It would depend on how badly the CDU does. If Kohl manages to get another term in 1998 by the skin of his teeth, then I have no doubt that the 2002 election would be a historic disaster for the CDU. I meantioned this before, but the electorate’s general exhaustion after 20 years of CDU rule, coupled with the donations scandal, coupled with their likely support for the upcoming Iraq war, means that they’ll likely get their worst election result ever up to that point. IOTL the SPD got 41% in 1998, while the CDU got 35%. It’s safe to say that the CDU’s result in 2002 in this TL would be significantly worse, and the biggest benefactor of that would be the SPD. No disgruntled former CDU voter is gonna vote for the Greens or the PDS, and the FDP will be seen as an extension of the CDU, so they certainly won’t benefit either. No, most of those former CDU votes will go to the SPD; 45+% is certainly possible. Furthermore, it’s quite possible that both the PDS and the FDP will be beneath the 5% hurdle (it happened to the PDS IOTL, and the FDP will probably also do worse after another 4 years with the CDU), which means other than a couple of direct mandates, the seats that would’ve gone to the PDS and FDP will go to the other parties – the biggest of which would be the SPD. That might be enough to get them over 50%.

Of course, that will certainly be the last and only time the SPD will be able to get a majority on their own, and it’s only because of the specific circumstances of the time, but I don’t think it’s impossible.
OK, might be just about not impossible ;-) But ATON has opted for a different course anyway, see below
No, I got what you mean. Basically, the Green politics in late 90s have been already losing it's leftishness. Like Al Gore is just yet another boring neoliberal who is also into ecology stuff.
Actually, the Greens had been a different kind of leftist from, say, the DKP or the PDS from the start. That, too, was softening, becoming more open to compromise, with a new generation trying to reframe the same goals into terms more likable by wider swathes of the middle classes. Their program changed over time, too, but not necessarily in a rightward manner as far as political values, goals and contents are concerned. More in rhetoric and semantic and methods. Their turn from pacifism to humanitarian interventionism and now even to defending the peace order of progressive liberal democratic Europe against autocratic reactionary Russian aggression is indeed a huge turn away from their roots. If it makes them more centrist, though, I'm not sure.
But you get my meaning.
Oh, this is interesting! Schröder (or Clement, but... well) coming to power in, say, 2000 or 2001 after Westerwelle has the FDP change sides, wow, that is very interesting.

Actually, the Agenda 2010 might look pretty much similar, and other neoliberal reforms like that of taxation or "excellency initiative" for the universities etc. all sound like the FDP had been on board anyway, so I don't know if they can get any more neoliberal with actual FDP ministers writing them.
Still, interesting...

How would the Greens react to all these reforms when they're in opposition, but alone without the SPD? Or, alone with the PDS? They would not ally with the PDS, but they would share their opposition to the reforms. Would a WASG form? Hmm.... Interesting!