Kings naming their kids after obscure saints

I never got why the Plantagenets and Tudors never called their kids Thomas. There was a smattering of Edwards but no Thomas's.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Last edited:

Deleted member 147978

Why Wessex rather than Plantagenet? I thought this was about any kingdom? I was looking at it as a saintly name to be grubbed up and used by the Kingdom of England
Since the name is an obscure Anglo-Saxon name, it's most likely going to be a potential Wessex name as opposed to a Romance Plantagenet name.

Since the name is an obscure Anglo-Saxon name, it's most likely going to be a potential Wessex name as opposed to a Romance Plantagenet name.
Except it was the Plantagenets (Henry III) who returned the obscure Old English names of (St) Edward and (St) Edmund to royal use.

Deleted member 147978

Oh... I didn't know those were the rules
I mean, why would a Plantagenet King name one of sons after a superbly obscure Anglo-Saxon parish? Edward and Edmund were prototypical names of their kind, not like Botwulf.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I mean, why would a Plantagenet King name one of sons after a superbly obscure Anglo-Saxon parish? Edward and Edmund were prototypical names of their kind, not like Botwulf.
I thought we were looking at possibilities. And it's also already latinised as Botolph, regardless of what the origin of the name might be.

I just thought it seemed one of the more likely obscure saints names that could be raised from the dead for a royal prince, if raising obscure saints names from the dead for royal princes was the point of the exercise.

Deleted member 147978

I thought we were looking at possibilities. And it's also already latinised as Botolph, regardless of what the origin of the name might be.

I just thought it seemed one of the more likely obscure saints names that could be raised from the dead for a royal prince, if raising obscure saints names from the dead for royal princes was the point of the exercise.
With all due respect, I'm not disregarding Botolph completely. It's just that I believe it'll be unlikely for Henry III to name one if his sons after the parish. (That's if he had knowledge of said person's name.)

I wonder if we could get a Scottish King naming a son after St. Machar - the patron sain't of Aberdeen (and the namesake of a very nice pub near campus, I might add!)

King Machar I of Scotland has a rather nice ring to it.

Also,for England, I could see Oswald being a child's name - especially in a surviving Dynasty of York (since he was a warrior king of Northumbria)

Also a son of Edmund Crouchback; a short lived son of Richard Duke of York; and Thomas Earl of Norfolk (son of Edward I).
England could easily have ended up with King Alphonso had Edward I's son, Alphonso, Earl of Chester not predeceased his father at age 10.

England could easily have ended up with King Alphonso had Edward I's son, Alphonso, Earl of Chester not predeceased his father at age 10.

I wonder how his name would have been Anglicized. Alfons would be my best guess - but i would be kinda cool to have a few King Alfons of England in the dynastic lists :)

Andrew is a good one. First Apostle of Jesus, yet the name was pretty much only used by a few Medieval Hungarians.

Or for the Apostles under Paul, those who he addressed in his letters, like Anthony, Timothy, etc.

I doubt if it will ever be used again among European royals...
Andrew, brother of Louis I of Hungary, would be King of Naples if he was not assassinated. From there name Andrew could spread across Italy and Western Mediterranean. Perfect Andrew-wank :)

Andrew is also possible among Jagiellons (father of Jogaila's last wife was daughter of Andrey Halshanski, name could re-surface in next generations)

Last edited:
Andrew, brother of Louis I of Hungary, would be King of Naples if he was not assassinated. From there name Andrew could spread across Italy and Western Mediterranean. Perfect Andrew-wank :)

Andrew is also possible among Jagiellons (father of Jogaila's last wife was daughter of Andrey Halshanski, name could re-surface in next generations)
Another two saints' names that could be "common" if things had shaken out differently: Martha (if Juan I of Aragon had had a surviving son by his first wife or if his daughter, Juana, had had issue) and Martin (if Juan I's brother/nephew had left surviving issue)