King Leopold captured by the Dutch

MrHola

Banned
After the Belgians declared themselves independent with Leopold as their king, William I of the Netherlands decided that enough was enough and organised an military campaign with the aim of restoring national honor. This so-called Ten Days' Campaign was surprisingly successful and only ended when the French intervened to help the Belgians. During the Siege of Louvain, the Prince of Orange decided to surround the city while the duke of Saxe-Weimar (a German who served in the Dutch army) used his divsion to cut off escape routes to Brussels and Mechelen. The fleeing Belgians had no choice but return to Louvain. However, the Dutch were just a tad too late to stop a column of Belgian troops fleeing to Mechelen. Inside one of the coaches was none-other than Leopold I.

So, suppose that the Dutch were a bit quicker and actually managed to take Leopold as a prisoner? The Belgians just lost their king. What would happen next?

They find a regent or elect a new King or goes republic. In any case that won't stop the french from getting involved.

MrHola

Banned
They find a regent or elect a new King or goes republic. In any case that won't stop the french from getting involved.

Maybe. I somehow doubt they could find a new king, though. Leopold was pretty much the only candidate who was acceptable to both the British and the French. In addition, I think the odds of Belgium turning into a republic are slim: IIRC, Charles Rogier and several other "Founding Fathers" were dead-set against an republic. I agree with you about the French, though.

Anyone else?

Maybe. I somehow doubt they could find a new king, though. Leopold was pretty much the only candidate who was acceptable to both the British and the French. In addition, I think the odds of Belgium turning into a republic are slim: IIRC, Charles Rogier and several other "Founding Fathers" were dead-set against an republic. I agree with you about the French, though.

Anyone else?

I think they will form some sort of regency council to act on Leopold's behalf.

MrHola

Banned
Will the Dutch be able to wring more concessions from the Belgians using Leopold as leverage?

Of course, the ten days campaign was a devastating defeat for Belgium ANYWAY. Making it just a tiny bit more devastating will help, diplomatically, but in the end the major issue is still what the great powers want.

I imagine the British/French will expend a minor bit of political capital on getting Leopold released, so a bit more of Belgium (or a bit less of shared debt) goes to the Netherlands, but that to me seems about it.

Unless, of course, the Dutch get victory disease and actually face off against the French.