Kaiser Bill never becomes emperor

Kaiser Wilhelm II, while still a prince, drowns in a boating accident when being taught to row by the British ambassadors wife. This indeed almost happened in OTL and he was saved only by the swift intervention of two Royal Navy attaches who happened to be on the jetty at the time. His brother now succeeds to the throne on the death of his father.

Since Heinrich was a professional Naval Officer, would it have been likely he would have curtailed the Naval building program when it was obvious it was causing concern in GB? Would he have dismissed Bismarck? What changes, if any, would have been likely in the German Empire? Would any changes have been enough to prevent WWI?

My own opinion is that while it would be unlikely that the Naval Program would be halted, strenuous efforts would have been made to assure Britain that German intentions were not directed at her or the Empire. Just how successful that strategy would be is doubtful given the appalling standard of the diplomats of the era. I think it would be inevitable that any continuation of the building program would develop into a naval race and would poison the relations between the two powers.

Perhaps the greatest change may indeed be there would be no blank cheque given to AH. Without this behind them, the Austrians may be more willing to compromise over Serbia and the Hungarian opposition may be strengthened.

Does this mean another flashpoint would inevitably trigger a continental conflict around the same time?

Kaiser Wilhelm II, while still a prince, drowns in a boating accident when being taught to row by the British ambassadors wife. This indeed almost happened in OTL and he was saved only by the swift intervention of two Royal Navy attaches who happened to be on the jetty at the time. His brother now succeeds to the throne on the death of his father.

Since Heinrich was a professional Naval Officer, would it have been likely he would have curtailed the Naval building program when it was obvious it was causing concern in GB? Would he have dismissed Bismarck? What changes, if any, would have been likely in the German Empire? Would any changes have been enough to prevent WWI?

I think that he would have kept Bismarck on, but Bismarck is going to die rather early on in his reign, if Kaiser Wilhelm I lives out the same as OTL. However, the wiki points out that he was not as intellectual or as much of an egotist. I don't know what kind of foreign policy he would have have, but I believe it would be without any of the grandiose "Weltpoltik" that Wilhelm pushed so hard. I think that German colonies would still be seen, because of pro-colonization sentiment among German Nationalists (of whom the pro-Navy people are a faction).

My own opinion is that while it would be unlikely that the Naval Program would be halted, strenuous efforts would have been made to assure Britain that German intentions were not directed at her or the Empire. Just how successful that strategy would be is doubtful given the appalling standard of the diplomats of the era. I think it would be inevitable that any continuation of the building program would develop into a naval race and would poison the relations between the two powers.
As a naval officer I think that he would have been just as interested in expanding the navy as OTL, but the naval development may be in a different direction. IMO the clash between the British and Germans was something of an inevitability due to the industrial race between them. One thing that the wiki article mentioned about Heinrich was his apparent interest in both submarines and naval aviation. A Kaiser with definite opinions about how naval expansion should proceed would be interesting, especially with those interests. A focus on submarines before the war may give Germany a greater fleet of the vessels, and thus a greater chance of actually cutting Brtiain off from her international food supply. The focus on naval aviation (which in OTL resulted in his conversion of a steamship into an early aircraft carrier) could result in some kind of early advance in naval aviation, which would be really interesting, with Germany's battleship fleets. I think that one of the problems that the navy's of both Germany and Britain started to have is that their battleships were able to fire so far, they had a tough time targeting their guns. The Germans improved sights (OTL they had this really cool tech for their gun sights that really improved their aim) combined with early naval aviation and air to ground radios (did they have these?) could give Germany an interesting advantage. If the Kaiser is pushing naval aviation, then some enterprising naval officers may decide its a real good idea to drop bombs on those battlecruisers, and them with such thin armor . . .

Perhaps the greatest change may indeed be there would be no blank cheque given to AH. Without this behind them, the Austrians may be more willing to compromise over Serbia and the Hungarian opposition may be strengthened.

Does this mean another flashpoint would inevitably trigger a continental conflict around the same time?

I think that Heinrich would try to continue Bismarck's diplomacy, which would include right off the bat the reupping of the Russian Reinsurance Treaty. I don't think he would be able to continue Bismarck's complex diplomacy however, and would probably end up backing Austro-Hungarian Empire. Germany and Russia might be able to work out there problems, but I think that in the end the German-Russian rivalry, like the Anglo-German rivalry, is just too much, based on real competition, to be over come.

However, if Heinrich was not as bellicose as his brother, then he may not turn up the international pressure so high as to make war inevitable. If Germany isn't making itself the main international spectacle of heightening tension, then Anglo-Russian rivalry and Anglo-French rivalry, both real tension over colonial issues, could keep Europe divided enough that firm alliance systems (which was mainly based around the pro and anti Germans) doesn't occur.

I doubt his death would make much difference vis-a-vis Britain, save that perhaps Britain would end its isolation later. Other than that, too much bad blood existed on both sides for there to be no Anglo-German rivalry. The dominant Anglo-American narrative tends to blame the Germans for the rivarly and its consequences, but in truth, Britain was as much to blame as Germany. If Germany acted like an uncouth gangster, Britian no less acted as a jealous hen-pecking wife twenty years too old to be acting thusly. If the Kruger telegram was impolitic, it was all bluster, of no real substance; in contrast, Britain played Germany false quite many times, stringing it along for phantom prizes that Britain had zero intention of paying. Even the so-called alliance project of 1901 was but a mirage, something Salisbury and the rest (except Chamberlain) never took seriously.

In addition, the first Naval Bill was quite modest, even to the British. Other than few rabidly Germanophobic newspapers that habitually made mountains out of molehills, most British statesmen and the public did not feel alarmed over it. It was only with the second Naval Bill that the British took alarm, but that must been seen in context, namely that the whole continent hated Britain over its arrogant behaviors over the course of the 90's (basically telling the Continent F**k U! We have the biggest navy, so there, there's nothing you can do. Shove it up yer Arse!) and in particular, whole of Germany felt like Britain just bitch slapped and trampled all over Germany's honor. From Britain's double dealing over the Portugese colonies, to Britain's naked resort of force as the ultimate diplomatic stick in Fashoda vis-a-vis France, to culminate in the Samoan affairs where Britain humiliated Germany and showed to the Germans the impotence of Germany in the face of the British navy, the Navy League and the Right would've never have succeeded in passing such an ambitious military program through the Reichstag, but for the climate of helplessness in the face of the British naval domination. We need not argue whether it was the right course or not -- it wasn't -- but we must see that the German navy was a foregone conclusion given the political, cultural, social climate of the day. This was especially true in the aftermath of Mahan. He had huge influence not only in the US and Britain, but also in Germany, and converted great many skeptics to the idea of weltpolitik, not in its incarnation as the kaiser's vanity project, but as a strategic necessity if Germany were to retain its Great Power status.

After Mahan, it entered into popular consciousness throughout the West that the sea-power was requisite to a nation's greatness. All Powers spent heavily on navy; in fact, for most of this period, it was the French who spent the most on navy on the continent, not Germany.

Where the Kaiser's death might have made the difference is in the East. While the Reinsurance Treaty itself wasn't all that important, it was an important symbol to Russia that Germany was willing to cut the long-cherished wire to the St. Petersburg and lay a new one to London. That this was not what the Kaiser intended we now know, but at the time, this was how the Russians interpreted the first year of the Kaiser's reign. Given what we know of Bismarck's health, his continued stay in the office would've continued the wire to Russia at least until 1897, and thus there might not have been any Franco-Russian Alliance, or if it came, then at a later date. We have to understand Russia of the period. Yes, there was economic friction with Germany; yes, great deal of both countrys' public hated each other; yes, some members of the Establishment in both countries were rabidly anti- each other. But: by and large, Russia was satisfied being led by the German leash, despite protestations to the contrary. Russia did not want a free hand in Europe; it dreaded it; it was suffering through some of the worst economic crises in its history and desired nothing more than to be left alone in Europe so that it could rape easier targets in Asia. And it would have been exceedingly easy for Bismarck to accomodate the Russian wish, especially since Bismarck had a knack of bribing one country with another country's property.

Heck, Russia could've had constantinope at any time in the 80's, had it really wished so. But it did not want Constantinope, despite what the other countries thought; all it wanted was the Straits closed. Barring that, a status quo and the Porte powerful enough to deter any British navy trying to force its way through. Thus, Bismarck time after time tried to give away the Straits to Russia for a grand Balkan settlement, with Salonika as the dividing line. Alas, Russia did not want any more territories, not after the Bulgarian fiasco. Russia, to its credit, realized that pan-slavic feelings were just that --feelings: Balkan countries did not free themselves from the Porte just so that they could have a Russian overlord in its stead.

If Bismarck had lived longer, into early 1900's, then he might have done that which he had always contemplated, but always dreaded to do so: ditch Austria once and for all. Only he had the necessary historic prestige and accumulated greatness to force through such radical act, given how popular the Alliance came to be with the public (though not with the Establishment).

If Willie does die young, then Heinrich is groomed and educated as the future Kaiser. This means if he does go into the Navy it will not be as a career officer. While his love for all things nautical will still be strong, just like his brother was he will be a novice or a hobby naval strategist.

Is he intelligent enough to realise two things?

First, he must take advice from his experienced and expert advisors, including the naval ones.

Second, his father's policies have made Germany strong and he should continue the general thrust.

I know I am looking a little far ahead here however Henrich had two sons, which would become the heirs to the Throne upon their birth.

The First born was Prince Waldemar of Prussia (In OTL he Died in 1945 due to a lack of blood) who would become the Crown Prince he died aged 56 without any Children so its down to his younger brother Sigismund.

Prince Sigismund of Prussia (who died in 1978) had a son HRH Prince Alfred Friedrich Ernst Heinrich Conrad of Prussia (Born 17 August 1924).

Both brothers suffered from haemophilia, which might not be good news for the Monarchy. Maybe this isn't relevant as I am thinking so far ahead however do remember the now Kaiser Heinrich I would die in 1929 due to throat Cancer.

Prince Sigismund of Prussia (who died in 1978) had a son HRH Prince Alfred Friedrich Ernst Heinrich Conrad of Prussia (Born 17 August 1924).

Both brothers suffered from haemophilia, which might not be good news for the Monarchy. Maybe this isn't relevant as I am thinking so far ahead however do remember the now Kaiser Heinrich I would die in 1929 due to throat Cancer.

Actually, Sigismund was the only one of Heinrich's three sons who didn't suffer from hemophilia. His older brother Waldemar was very long-lived for a hemophiliac and only died because the American Army overran the area and diverted all medical resources to treat concentration camp victims. Of course, in TTL he might suffer an injury long before 1945.

Something that may affect TTL is that Kaiser Heinrich's wife, Irene, is sister to Empress Alexandra of Russia. That puts the two royal families closer than they were in OTL.

If butterflies don't change things Kaiser Sigismund reigns to 1978, his only son Alfred to 1996. Alfred had no issue.

Which leads to a succession problem.

How old was he? The man who became Wilhelm II started having kids quite young, so if his son Wilhelm is alive he will become the heir to the throne and as Wilhelm II 's son Wilhelm was quite as paranoid, jingoistic and foolish as his father very little might change.

If the boy who would have become Wilhelm II is very young when he drowns then his family are likely to 'groom' Heinrich in the same way that they groomed Wilhelm and so Heinrich might have all or most of the character flaws his brother had OTL.

How old was he? The man who became Wilhelm II started having kids quite young, so if his son Wilhelm is alive he will become the heir to the throne and as Wilhelm II 's son Wilhelm was quite as paranoid, jingoistic and foolish as his father very little might change.

If the boy who would have become Wilhelm II is very young when he drowns then his family are likely to 'groom' Heinrich in the same way that they groomed Wilhelm and so Heinrich might have all or most of the character flaws his brother had OTL.

Nick

Possibly but not from birth. Also some have argued that part of Wilhelm's problems came from his birth and injured arm, leaving him with a complex and needing to prove himself. This would not be a factor with Heinrich so he might be less impulsive.

Steve

Nick

Possibly but not from birth. Also some have argued that part of Wilhelm's problems came from his birth and injured arm, leaving him with a complex and needing to prove himself. This would not be a factor with Heinrich so he might be less impulsive.

Steve

Yes, that's true, but Wilhelm and Heinrich's schooling were very different, IIRC Wilhelm's tutor was sadistic and halfway bonkers. It didn't do the lad much good. Heinrich's by comparison was much more laid back and he turned out a happier and better balanced person.

I think there is also something in the fact that Wilhelm's education was completed by the army and Heinrich's by the navy (I'm not sure what exactly, except that a life on the ocean wave has to be better for the mental state than mincing about in a pickelhaub with a bunch of angry Junkers :D).

Wilhelm became almost exactly what his parents didn't want. Bismarck took the existing wedge between Wilhelm and his parents and widened it.