John Wayne on Gunsmoke...

MacCaulay

Banned
...so apparently John Wayne was offered the role of Marshal Dillon. He said he didn't want to do a "television Western." So he instead suggested a guy by the name of James Arness, who made the character his own.

So...what if John Wayne had taken the offer?

(by the way, I just wanted to say that John Wayne and James Arness both made the right choice. James Arness was an amazing actor, both physically and mentally.)

Thande

Donor
I'm guessing Gunsmoke would be less iconic because it would be viewed as "just another John Wayne Western, only on telly". Have to ask my dad's opinion, he was a fan of it growing up.

I had no problem with Arness on Gunsmoke.It was when they added new characters to the mix and made it one hour.BTW people should try and listen to the radio version with William Conrad as Matt, Georgia Ellis as Kitty, Parley Baer as Chester Proudfoot and the guy who played later Floyd the Barber on the Andy Griffith show as Doc.These were different characters and it was strongly hinted about Kitty's profession.Doc -Macbride was his real name was always ready to see a fight and perform autopsies.OK,Conrad was not physically attractive but Matt was tough.The radio version is available from Radio Spirits which has a web site.:)