Jodie Foster cast as Princess Leia in 1977

Just saw that Lucas originally wanted Foster to play Leia, not Fisher. Interesting article.

What would the series have been like had Foster secured the role? Note that her character would have been 14 years of age in the original movie as Foster is younger than Fisher (something they went with later with Queen Amidala). Assume all other characters have the same casting.

First things to think of:

1. Luke and Leia cannot be twins. The age difference is too great.
2. The actress is alive for Episode IX, should it get that far.
3. It's unlikely that Leia would have had another character as a love interest as she would likely be underage. Certainly Harrison Ford would have been too old. Maybe by Jedi but I'm not sure.
4. I doubt Leia would have all the responsibilities and duties ITTL than she does IOTL, especially in Episode IV. My guess is we'd see more of Bail Organa, at least at the beginning (can they still blow up Alderaan if they need Bail?)

Last edited:
Foster is way to young for the role. With the love interest, as you say between Solo and her that's edging on 'underage' or even grooming, that kills the movie off stone dead not with the audiences but with the ratings board.

Now if we go with Sean Young 18 at the time (who actually did a screen test opposite Kurt Russell if my memory serves me right) that would work as she has the sass' for the role.

Foster is way to young for the role. With the love interest, as you say between Solo and her that's edging on 'underage' or even grooming, that kills the movie off stone dead not with the audiences but with the ratings board.

Now if we go with Sean Young 18 at the time (who actually did a screen test opposite Kurt Russell if my memory serves me right) that would work as she has the sass' for the role.
At the time though it wasn't clear that the film would succeed. Maybe they would cast Foster and realize that they'd have to expand their universe and deal with Leia's age once the movie broke records throughout the industry.

Last edited:
The dynamic between the big three changes completely with Foster being way too young to be a love interest. I also have a hard time seeing Harrison Ford's Han Solo obeying a 14 year old, no matter how capable she is.

The lack of romance might not hurt A New Hope too much - there are a few sparks but nothing vital - but the next two films are unlikely to be anything like they were in OLT.

Didn't Sean Young go a little crazy later and that's why she disappeared? I remember something about her stalking Tim Burton to get the Catwoman role.

And since nobody made this joke, I'm going to.

The Empire would end alot earlier in this AH's Star Wars trilogy, since Jon Hinckley would assasinate Emperor Palpatine so Princess Leia would love him.