Japan surrenders after Battle of the Philippine Sea

Expect Japan to not portray itself as something of a victim later on as well. Their cities aren’t reduced to cinders from fire-bombing (the Tokyo raid especially as that event was what solidified defeat was inevitable to the emperor) as well as no city being nuked.

What happens in Europe depends on whatever conference replaces Yalta. The additional troops in Europe will either be used to help with rotating troops out and occupational duties or will allow the WAllies to attempt to launch a greater assault on Axis-held territory. Depends on how the occupation zones fall. Now where it gets interesting is if said troops are used to push for areas the Soviets got to OTL. A push for Prague, Vienna, or in the Balkans would make for an interesting TL.

And those approx. Five to Six US Marine Divisions available in the Pacific...

Plus One Parachute Division ...

If Japan does surrender conditionally with the Emperor allow to stay on the throne while as a Constitutional Imperial Emperor and he is able to stifle all Army hotheads to obey his orders to the conditional surrender...

Will America demand that Imperial Japan be occupied and by how many units of the US Armed Forces...

And those approx. Five to Six US Marine Divisions available in the Pacific...

Plus One Parachute Division ...

If Japan does surrender conditionally with the Emperor allow to stay on the throne while as a Constitutional Imperial Emperor and he is able to stifle all Army hotheads to obey his orders to the conditional surrender...

Will America demand that Imperial Japan be occupied and by how many units of the US Armed Forces...
Sounds like that’s what OP is thinking based on an earlier reply. Japan is occupied, loses all her colonies, must totally reform the government, and has no more armed forces outside of the Self-Defense Forces. Sizable suspension of disbelief for the timeframe but it seems the idea is more what to do if it happened.

Sounds like that’s what OP is thinking based on an earlier reply. Japan is occupied, loses all her colonies, must totally reform the government, and has no more armed forces outside of the Self-Defense Forces. Sizable suspension of disbelief for the timeframe but it seems the idea is more what to do if it happened.

I always said it was a real longshot. maybe 1:10.000 but what were the odds a backwards nomadic group of horseman would conquer China and most of the rest of the world?

Expect Japan to not portray itself as something of a victim later on as well. Their cities aren’t reduced to cinders from fire-bombing (the Tokyo raid especially as that event was what solidified defeat was inevitable to the emperor) as well as no city being nuked.
So there's going to be a stabbed-in-the-back-myth instead.

The other long term effects include what to do with Karafuto, southern Sakhalin, and the Kuril Islands. First off without fighting Japan then Russia might not get these territories back. Southern Karafuto gives Japan a land border with Russia and control of some or all of the Kurils turns the Sea of Okhotsk into more of a contested territory compared to what it was during the Cold War.

The other long term effects include what to do with Karafuto, southern Sakhalin, and the Kuril Islands. First off without fighting Japan then Russia might not get these territories back. Southern Karafuto gives Japan a land border with Russia and control of some or all of the Kurils turns the Sea of Okhotsk into more of a contested territory compared to what it was during the Cold War.

I would assume Russia would get none of that.

Quite likely considering this is before the Marianas, Iwo Jima, and Leyte Gulf.

True, but Japan is ethnically homogenous and would have a resurgent China on its doorstep. There aren't a large number of potential victims near by. It could only become a threat after rebuilding its navy which would take decades after the occupation ends. I don't think Japan would be in any shape to cause trouble, with a lot of potential enemies its military policy would have to be defensive.

Some things are going to be different following this POD.

1. No A-bomb dropped on Hiroshima & Nagasaki --> less clear understanding of the effects of the A-bomb and perhaps less reluctancy to use it in combat.
2. The biggest butterfly will be China and its future as well as Korea.
3. I wonder if there will be any effect of the 20. July coup against Hitler, which is 10 days after Japan's surrender.

Some things are going to be different following this POD.

1. No A-bomb dropped on Hiroshima & Nagasaki --> less clear understanding of the effects of the A-bomb and perhaps less reluctancy to use it in combat.
2. The biggest butterfly will be China and its future as well as Korea.
3. I wonder if there will be any effect of the 20. July coup against Hitler, which is 10 days after Japan's surrender.
1. Agreed, which may result in a ww 3 between US/USSR
2. Huge butterflies there a Nationalist China and a united Korea and no Vietnam War.
3. Probably not, I can't see how it could effect it.

IMO the only way to get a surrender that early is to get a coup by probably the IJN, who then convince the Emperor to give such a speech.
That's STILL unlikely to work, as the IJA would almost certainly counter-coup, but at least it's vaguely possible.
Until you remember how much the IJN and IJA hated each other. Such a battle would be... nasty.

Ah yes, i do love me some good ole IJN on IJA violence. It's like watching your 2 entitled siblings beat each other with a hammer whack-a-mole style. In all seriousness though, two consecutive coups could have the potential to seriously destabilize and already precarious situation.

Too bad we can’t make a condition:
“Your forces are going to Europe to fight fascists.
Here’s some oil to get there. Well give you enough to get back after VE Day.”
What ships are left?
What planes and how many?
Would it not be fun to see the Rising Sun vs the Swastika?

3. Probably not, I can't see how it could effect it.
Well if Japan sues for peace on July the 10th, there is a possible effect of more the idea of a coup becoming more popular? Realizing that all the resources of the US will now be funelled towards Germany may be the "push" some needed to side with Stauffenberg and his colleagues? The time frame is however very short, merely 10 days. It will take months for the effects of a Japanese defeat to be noticed in Europe.