It's the Year 2007 in "The Day After" Timeline ...

Everyone:

I watched this "blast from the past" on the Sci-Fi Channel on Friday night. Back when it first aired — in 1984, I think — I was 10 years old. Boy, did that bring back memories of the 1980s ... and, of course, the Cold War (through an adult's perspective).

Here's the question: What would the timeline of "The Day After" look like in 2007?

Assuming I'm right about my dating (the nuclear war occurring in 1984), it's been 23 years since the nuclear exchange devastated not only the United States and the Soviet Union, but apparently Europe and other parts of the world as well (Japan for sure, since it was a close U.S. ally; as for other nations, such as India, Australia, Canada, Pakistan, various Middle Eastern nations and so on, I'm not sure, since the movie never went into any detail).

In my opinion, that timeline remains a blighted nightmare in 2007, albeit one where some scarring has "healed" the most gaping wounds. I don't think China was involved in the nuclear war, so they probably emerged as the world's strongest power and remain so in 2007. South America might also be home to some of the post-nuclear war strong nations, along with South Africa.

In the United States, much of the nation remains in ruins, despite the National Reconstruction Authority's (NRA) efforts to restore order and begin the rebuilding process. Why? Well, the president did say the Soviet Union was successful in hitting "most" of the nation's military and industrial assets. Knowing how there were missile fields across much of the nation's heartland in 1984, I'm quite sure that very few areas of the nation were able to avoid direct hits or "collateral" damage (i.e. secondary effects from blasts, radiation, civil disruptions and so on). Only a few major cities avoided getting blasted into oblivion — perhaps Minneapolis, Denver, Las Vegas, etc.

So, the United States is a third-rate power. Its only claim to power is the fact that it still has a few boomer submarines in the world's oceans, each one carrying enough nuclear warheads to devastate a small- to medium-sized nation. Otherwise, it's incapable of projecting power beyond North America.

The Soviet Union would be in a similar condition. Perhaps it would be in even worse condition since, in addition to nuclear bombardment from the U.S. and its NATO allies, it might literally have broken up. Why? Well, look at what caused the Soviet Union to break up in our own timeline — a vast empire held together only by force, but once that force is gone (i.e. Russia itself), the republics bolt off by themselves. The nuclear war in 1984 would have only accelerated the process, IMO, especially in the SSRs in the Caucusus region and the SSRs in the regions bordering Afghanistan, Iran and China. Assuming, of course, that they weren't turned into radioactive ruins by the aforementioned nuclear war.

I'm not overly sure of Europe's status, other than the fact that I think Spain, Switzerland and Ireland survived relatively unscathed (mainly because they weren't affiliated with NATO). Still, they'd be in a Europe devastated by nukes, because Germany (both halves), France, Britain, Italy, etc., were waist-deep in NATO).

Hmm. Well, that's all I can think about writing for now — the Earth of this timeline is pretty much screwed for thousands of years, since that's how long it'll take for the radiation to work its way out of the soil of the regions blasted by nukes. China and some other nations emerge relatively unscathed, but they're Pyhrric (sp) lords, so to speak, powerful in a world that's now just barely habitable to humans.

So, what do you all think?

RealityBYTES

Interesting idea.

Effects of the nukes and radiation will be felt for decades. Diseases probably would have reached plague-like porporations in parts of the U.S. as well as famine after the exchange, so there would be the effects of that as well. Large populations shifts and environmental fallout as well. A lot of thought would have to go into this.

Who is to say the United States would not break up after a massive nuclear war as well? Perhaps certain regions could feel that they would recover quicker on their own, or certain areas of the country may become more isolated due to large "hot spots" where no one could live. Perhaps it would be a temporary break-up but who knows?

If the US, Russia and maybe Britain and France are out, China is free to export Communism, if they want... although I doubt it, this isn't the China of Mao.

Also, things like the fact a lot of nuclear missle sites are in the heartland, where much of our food comes from, famine will be a lot worse....plus if nuclear winter is true...

Intersting idea.

Also, things like the fact a lot of nuclear missle sites are in the heartland, where much of our food comes from, famine will be a lot worse....plus if nuclear winter is true...

Intersting idea.

If Canada wasn't devasted, I can see them exporting vast amounts of wheat, other food stuff to the US and medical supplies, as well as sending in recontruction teams.

If Canada wasn't devasted, I can see them exporting vast amounts of wheat, other food stuff to the US and medical supplies, as well as sending in recontruction teams.

IF it wasn't devastated--the top ten cities will all have been hit due to them being primary or at worse secondary targets. I can easily see Canada losing half of its population after all the exchanges. And all that radioactive fallout will be carried off to the prairie provinces too.

Will Canada even be in any shape to even get itself back together, let alone help out the States?

IF it wasn't devastated--the top ten cities will all have been hit due to them being primary or at worse secondary targets. I can easily see Canada losing half of its population after all the exchanges. And all that radioactive fallout will be carried off to the prairie provinces too.

Will Canada even be in any shape to even get itself back together, let alone help out the States?

True enough, I had a brain fart and forgot to take into account the radioactive fallout from the Great Plains being swept up into the Canadian Prairies, not to mention Canada actually being untouched by Russian nukes (next time I will have to look into my Challenge Magazine issues to see the Canadian Nuke list from Twilight: 2000).

I think at least more than half of Canada's population lives in the Greater Toronto Area to Ottawa to Montreal "corridor", so any substantial hits there wipe out the majority of the population there.

Radiation is no longer a problem outside the immediate craters, if there. Unless someone actually used 'dirty' bombs in which case all bets are off.

For that matter fallout ceased to be a problem within the first year and was an avoidable problem within the first 2-3 months. Bear in mind that airbursts leave much less fallout while are more effective against cities AND any location where bombers or missles are based.

China was undoubtedly plastered due to Russian racial attitudes and a deep fear of what would happen if China was unscathed and Russia crippled.

US policy always included targeting key military sites along the Chinese border down to the fifty plus Soviet divisions.

In this situation Russia knows that they will be crippled for decades, defenseless in Siberia and conclude that they really have nothing to lose by adding China to the hit list.

Bear in mind that China's handful of long range missles can be smothered, as they take too long to fuel, while the shorter range missles mostly target sites that the US may be hitting anyway.:(

One suspects that the US also dealt with a few potential problems, Castro's Cuba being one.:(:(

US forces overseas return home, as even a few tens of thousands will be of real use. By this point the US population is probably starting to rise from 60-65 million people with a limited projection capacity of the few surviving bombers and ICBMS(many undoubtedly cannibalized for spares) and any surviving carrier battlegroups. On the other hand the US capacity to send more than a handful of troops(@1000) is nil.

By this point basic necessities(food, housing, etc) are in sufficient supply everywhere, if only because the death rate exceeded the losses long ago, and reconstruction and recovery has been underway for almost twenty years. Industry is still limited and quite basic in the nations hit although a few exceptions might exist, if a city known for a particular product survived.

US submarines may have served as power sources for some cities while the reactors lasted so reconstruction may have been more significant in some areas, all of them coastal(there's the regional outrage for you).

Plagues and moderate population shifts are very likely, as most of the people who needed to shift were unlikely to survive the move.

Canada was probably not hit too badly by direct hits, and perhaps half of the top ten cities may have come through unscathed. On the other hand, with no real capacity to hold provinces by force and Montreal and Quebec at the top of the hit list...

An interesting question would be how hard NATO hit the WP, as opposed to the Soviet Union. If much of the WP's industry and military forces are still intact then Russia may not be broken up so much as invaded and occupied.

Russia may even have been reduced to using nukes in a last ditch effort to hold some territory outside the Russian core. Certainly much of the SSRs were either lost or still are resisting, which further damages Russian recovery.

Pakistan was not a nuclear power yet and one suspects that India made sure that this never took place.

The mention of South Africa is unpleasant. With several million new white citizens who knows what might have taken place? Certainly without the West or the Soviet Bloc no African nations can expect to do much, as most of what military and technology they do have will soon be useless without spare parts.

The same applies to the Middle East. If the Middle East wasn't hit by the Soviets then Israel is in frighteningly good shape. The vision in Warday where oil sheiks were replaced by Israeli oil import agents may have come to pass. Ironically the Soviets may have seen Israeli survival as necessary to their own benefit, to distract the Arabs whose militaries would need to be used or lost in a short period. Remember that little Afghan situation?

For the West anticipate conditions similar to rural life in the 1950s if very fortunate, 1930s otherwise.

Probably no advances of any kind for anyone. World population at 30-40% of OTL.

The mention of South Africa is unpleasant. With several million new white citizens who knows what might have taken place?

i take it the several million new whites are refugees from N. America and Europe and thier children/grandchildren- how would they get there- i cant see people reallt being abe to travel from the nuked areas to South Africa.

Keep in mind that a conventional war was fought in Europe prior to the missiles being launched. I'd imagine that such a war would not be limited to just Europe, and that the Warsaw Pact would be inextricably tied to the Soviet warfighting capability.

According to Wikipedia, Soviet forces reach the Rhine, and have nuclear weapons detonated on them. Fighting is also reported in the Persian Gulf. 300 ICBM inbounds are reported, which may be the number of MIRVs, or, more likely the number of missiles, which means 1,000-1,500 nuclear weapons by missile alone. How many would be added by bombers is unknown.

Here is a site with FEMA's 1990 maps showing nuclear targets in the US.
Nuclear Target List
The states that just get plastered are: Colorado, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota & South Dakota. Then the fallout heads east.

Then the Fallout map.:eek:
aacont2.jpg

In 1990 I survive the initial attack but get fried by the fallout over Wisconsin a few days later.:(

For the movie....Well in 1984 I was a highschool student in Topeka KS.
Sooo I need SPF100000000 and some serious sunglasses.:cool:

Great map. It looks like the part of Louisiana that I live in makes it through the whole thing okay, except that the fallout kind of isolates us.

It looks like in the event of a nuclear war, Oregon is the place to be!

Hmm. Well, according to the map, my home state of South Dakota gets hammered by not only nuclear blasts, but radiation as well. Odd thing is, my home appears to escape the worst radiation bands, getting caught on the edge of a "light" band of radiation.

That said, the map is a bit outdated. I know the nuclear missile fields in South Dakota have been dismantled. The only nuclear weapons targets remaining in the state, IMO, would be Ellsworth AFB and maybe Sioux Falls, and only because the city is at the junction of two interstates.

RealityBYTES

Well, on one hand, I'd be screwed... I doubt Kiev was a very pleasant place in TTL after getting hit repeatedly with ICBMs. On the other hand, had I been in my current residence in Colorado, I'd be just as screwed... :(

Forget about just the Fallout or post-nuke firestorms. The damage caused to the O-Zone layer by the war would be immense. Even areas that weren't nuked would see the number of skin cancer cases and other related medical problems go through the rough. Then there's the problem of Nuclear Winter..

A Nifty Idea...

Considering the rise in stature of the People's Republic of China, consider the cities of Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles, California to become major targets of political violence. Imagine a scene ripped from the 1870s or Deadwood (SHOW-TV) becomes the scene of "Yellow Peril" scares as people throughout the West Coast. All it takes is an opportunistic leader, with an eye for either political power or financial wealth, starts spouting rumors that the Chinese caused WWIII in an effort to "reap the spoils" of the war.