Isabella de Bourbon lives to 1662

What if there is no 1644 miscarriage (either a short-living infante or a relatively healthy infanta (non-inbred version of Margaret Teresa) is born instead), and the wife of Felipe IV lives to 1662 (with the lifespans of her other surviving children as OTL so by 1662 there are two surviving daughters)? What does this mean for fate of Spain?

Last edited:
What if there is no 1644 miscarriage (either a short-living infante or a relatively healthy infanta (non-inbred version of Margaret Teresa) is born instead), and the wife of Felipe IV lives to 1662 (with the lifespans of her other surviving children as OTL so by 1662 there are twl surviving daughters)? What does this mean for fate of Spain?
Would a Louis XIV-Maria Teresa match go through? Mean, OTL Felipe had sons in the 1650s so he was kinda "sure" (even if they died like flies) there'd be no French inheritance. Here, he'd likely have Maria Teresa sworn in as Princess de Los Asturias as soon as her brother dies, no?

Would a Louis XIV-Maria Teresa match go through? Mean, OTL Felipe had sons in the 1650s so he was kinda "sure" (even if they died like flies) there'd be no French inheritance. Here, he'd likely have Maria Teresa sworn in as Princess de Los Asturias as soon as her brother dies, no?
Likely. Wonder who is her husband ITTL?
France may still get AN Infanta (if 1644 pregnancy is a healthy girl ), but not Maria Teresa.

OTL Felipe had sons in the 1650s, though even then it was a bit touch and go. At the start of the decade, his original heir, Baltasar Charles was already four years in the grave, and by the end, his spare died young and his second heir (Felipe Prospero) was suffering from a severe case of epilepsy (he died in 1661).

With that said, assuming Queen Isabella de Borbon did not die from childbirth in 1644 (it was a stillborn son by the way so the son would technically be Prince of Asturias), then assuming the surviving children still ends up dying as they did IOTL, then Maria Teresa becomes heir. Which of course for the sake of keeping Spain under Habsburg rule, means that she's marrying a Habsburg. Maybe just so that France and England poo themselves, she marries the future Leopold I as her OTL younger half-sister did.

Maria Teresa is likely betrothed to Leopold/betrothal transferred to Karl Joseph when Leopold becomes King of the Romans to avoid Karl V situation?

With that said, assuming Queen Isabella de Borbon did not die from childbirth in 1644 (it was a stillborn son by the way so the son would technically be Prince of Asturias),
I decided the PoD be the ATL pregnancy, so the gender of child can be switched (different spermatozoid wins the race).

What happens to Mariana of Austria ITTL is anybody's guess.
Tuscany is an interesting possible destination for her.

Maria Teresa is likely betrothed to Leopold/betrothal transferred to Karl Joseph when Leopold becomes King of the Romans to avoid Karl V situation?
If Leopold becomes King of the Romans. Assuming the PoD is Isabella not dying in 1646, butterflies could allow for Ferdinand IV, King of the Romans to also not bite the dust. (he dying from Smallpox in 1654, as his cousin, Baltasar Carlos, did eight years prior) So there is a possibility of avoiding a Karl V situation while still keeping Leopold as her betrothed.

That said, while KJ would be just as viable should Ferdinand IV still die, it would mean he'd have to do the deed as soon as possible, eleven year difference and all that comes with it.

Last edited:
That said, while KJ would be just as viable should Ferdinand IV still die, it would mean he'd have to do the deed as soon as possible, eleven year difference and all that comes with it.
His Tyrol cousins managed just fine in this situation (only the diff being 12 years).

Isabella not dying in 1646
IOTL she died in 1644 after miscarriage. ITTL the pregnancy is different (resulting in the Infanta but the physicians declare the Queen can't have anymore kids) and she lives to the age of her sister Henrietta Maria, dying at the age of 60 (still predeceasing her hubby dearest by 3 years).

Ferdinand IV, King of the Romans to also not bite the dust.
By the way, who is his wife in this scenario (he can't afford the heiress presumptive-but-quite-likely apparent to Spanish throne - so by 1654 he's married elsewhere)?
Was thinking about "Mariana of Austria marries to Mantua, Isabella Clara of Austria takes her younger sister's place as Empress of HRE, Eleonora Jr. marries Ferdinand King of Romans" situation.

By the way, who is his wife in this scenario (he can't afford the heiress presumptive-but-quite-likely apparent to Spanish throne - so by 1654 he's married elsewhere)?
Was thinking about "Mariana of Austria marries to Mantua, Isabella Clara of Austria takes her younger sister's place as Empress of HRE, Eleonora Jr. marries Ferdinand King of Romans" situation.
While IOTL, the plan was for Maria Teresa was to marry Ferdinand IV, because the need to avoid a Karl V scenario that would disturb ally and enemy alike, could Ferdinand marry Eleonora Gonzaga (OTL, Ferdinand III's second wife) instead? The two are closer in age to each other vs. to Ferdinand III, and if Ferdinand III's second wife doesn't die giving birth to Karl Joseph, I can see it being a viable option.

Ferdinand marry Eleonora Gonzaga (OTL, Ferdinand III's second wife)
Third. And there is a sister of Ferdinand III second wife, who is 4 years older than Ferdinand IV, and whose place in Mantua is likely taken by Mariana of Austria ITTL. She had a single kid (OTL last Duke of Mantua) in 1652, so she'll do if we go for minimal number of butterflied away deaths.
A (future Emperor) born in 1652 can marry pretty much a full set of OTL Leopold I' wives (BTW, in such situation Ferdidand III is still succeeded by a Leopold I, but by his younger brother (a placeholder for his underage grandson) rather than a son who is the King of Spain since 1665 ITTL.

not to quibble, but I was under the impression BC died of appendicitis, not smallpox. I also seem to recall that shortly before his death (likely where he contracted smallpox, if that was the COD) he was at a church service commemorating his mom.

not to quibble, but I was under the impression BC died of appendicitis, not smallpox. I also seem to recall that shortly before his death (likely where he contracted smallpox, if that was the COD) he was at a church service commemorating his mom.
I heard of typhoid fever as a possible cause of death. But yes, ITTL his schedule is different, which may mean his survival.

I heard of typhoid fever as a possible cause of death. But yes, ITTL his schedule is different, which may mean his survival.

this becomes much more interesting now, especially if Spain has a young prince with good health ( since he is genetically better off than the rest of the family, Otl Balthazar Carlos had 8 great- great-grandparents, which for a Baroque prince is very good compared to the his predecessors or contemporaries, if only she could marry someone not so close genetically ) moreover his mother is still alive, and Otl Isabella was the only one who could compete with Olivares to influence Philip IV ( but here she gave the king a son and many healthy girls ) therefore her power and ascendancy over re is much greater ( certainly it also helps that Philip loves her very much ) perhaps some of the reforms timidly begun under Carlos II Otl here can see the light years in advance and allow to be fully developed with relative calm ( always if France does not believe that Spain can return to being a threat )

Last edited:
So, assuming the living kids are:
Baltasar Carlos (1629-1685), reigns as Carlos II from 1665 to 1685
Maria Teresia (1638-1683) (TTL Mrs Ferdinand IV in a TL when her brother survives, Mrs Leopold I in a TL when he does not)
Teresa Euhenia (1644-1690) (TTL Mrs Louis XIV)

Ironically on average Maria Teresia is likely to have healthier kids than she had in Louis' marriage. Because ITTL she's in the single first cousin match instead of double first cousin match of OTL.

3 surviving children is a good thing
Сomparatively. Felipe IV came from the family of 5 people living to adulthood and all these from related marriage - so managing 3 kids living to adulthood in unrelated one is not much a feat (though a feat of delaying inbreeding degradation 1-2 generations into the future).