Isaac's Empire 2.0

Would anybody be interested in some new IE content?
I’m always around, though it’s been a while. The timing of your post is actually kinda scary for me because I had literally just been searching for the term “Isaac’s Empire” in AH.com after coming across a thread asking about the board’s best timelines, thinking about the TL for the first time in years. That’s an extreme coincidence, so much that I thought my notifications had glitched out for a moment. :p

I’m always around, though it’s been a while. The timing of your post is actually kinda scary for me because I had literally just been searching for the term “Isaac’s Empire” in AH.com after coming across a thread asking about the board’s best timelines, thinking about the TL for the first time in years. That’s an extreme coincidence, so much that I thought my notifications had glitched out for a moment. :p

Great minds, eh?

So far I'm not promising anything and not sure where I'll go- a continuation of the main TL, or some "revisionist" historical analysis. IE is, after all, a popular history written either in-TL or by somebody with access to in-TL resources, so I might have a try at doing some mock "academic" analysis. I raise an eyebrow now, six years later, at my account of the reign of Eirene Nafpliotissa- which should really be "Naupliotissa" if we're transliterating properly!

Let's see. I'm currently re-reading IE 2.0 for the first time in a few years, from the death of Ioannes II onwards.

One thing that will change is the Empire will no longer be occupied by people called "John" and "George"- it'll be Ioannes, Georgios and so on going forward!

Do the Romans hold all of the Italian peninsula in this timeline?

More or less.

In Italy, Apulia, Kalabria, Sicily and Sardinia are under direct imperial rule. The rest is a patchwork of city states, all notionally under Constantinople's hegemony but in practice largely left to their own devices. Some, notably Genoa, have a very privileged position vis-a-vis their relationship with the Empire, others are kept on a much tighter leash: Venice would be a good example of this. Generally speaking, the further north you go, the lighter Constantinople's influence is.

Now I'm under pressure! I'll try to get something posted in the coming days- though quite what is a mystery.
@Basileus Giorgios
Please do man! Your amazing timeline was one of my main inspirations for my own Eastern Roman timeline about the Komenoi. I really enjoyed reading your timeline and it was one of the reasons why I decided to join this site in the first place. I stumbled upon your timeline when I was in high school surfing the internet for alternate history timelines about the ERE where Constaninople didn't fall.