Interesting PoD in Victoria: Revolutions!

Hi.

I was playing a game as Transvaal in Ricky. After a while (obviously in 1853) the Crimean War started. France and the UK immediately joined the war against Russia. Sardinia-Piedmont joined a military alliance with France, and overloaded France with it's military (i'm sure over 10 divisions were put under the French's control). And after a few months the war was actually over! :eek:

Now, the peace treaty was between the UK and Russia. Russia, totally weakened and under pressure, permanently gave the UK several provinces. Here are the screen-shots:

ve67n4.jpg
260r9u8.jpg

Is this PoD plausible or is it just an AI reaction that makes no sense?
And if it could happen, and thus actually happens, how long would the UK be able to keep these territories?
I suppose it might be interesting to discuss! :)

-Korporal Nooij.

The AI for Victoria is notorious for ending wars with completely ridiculous results.

That said, I suppose that, if Britain was interested, perhaps to establish a North Pacific naval/trade Hegemony, it might occupy and
demand the Kuril's as the end result of a war with Russia, however you'd need an earlier PoD which would create the situation of
Britain having the interest in them in the first place.

And if it could happen, and thus actually happens, how long would the UK be able to keep these territories?
I suppose it might be interesting to discuss! :)

-Korporal Nooij.

It's more-or-less what inevitably happens in Vicky-Crimea. The allies curbstomp the Russians and take random bits. Neither is too likely, IMHO.

wormyguy

Banned
See bolded, and about 5 years, tops (except the Kuriles). Landlocked territory in Bessarabia is lost instantly.

Only the Kuriles are a plausible thing for Britain to take, along with Alaska.

Thanks for the replies. :)

I suppose it might still be rather interesting to have the Kuril islands be owned by the UK. Could bring some nice butterflies with it. :cool:

-Korporal Nooij.

See bolded, and about 5 years, tops (except the Kuriles). Landlocked territory in Bessarabia is lost instantly.

Only the Kuriles are a plausible thing for Britain to take, along with Alaska.

The British Vicky AI can hold onto coastal provinces indefinitely. The chunks of Latvia and Finland they have are never going back.

If only real life worked like Victoria, then we could have had oddities like British Siberia, Sardinian Crimea, French Caucases and 'uncivilized'
nations capable of occupying the capitals of Great Powers if they are'nt looking. :D

Last edited:
The major hurdle to a RL version of this is that from the early days of Britain's ascendancy, Parliament constantly rejected the chance to take land on the continent. The most it ever really settled for was Dunkirk and small pieces of land to control the Schelde River (IIRC) during the Commonwealth era basically as a bribe price from France for involvement in a war with the Netherlands. And Gibraltar because it was so defensible and isolatable it was virtually an island in itself and perfectly placed to control access to the Mediterranean. After that it essentially forsook all Continental holdings entirely because it didn't want to be involved in the inevitable land wars to keep hold of said land against the various neighbouring states who wanted the land back.

However, supposing that somehow this land is forced upon them, to answer your actual question, how long they could hold that land is "very long in most cases". Because of the navy they have the capacity to hold the Kurils and Siberia for ages, especially as they have no real rivals there until Japan becomes a stronger presence. When that happens, of course, if Japan ever goes for a RL-style Asian conquest then its hold becomes tenuous but if Japan can be kept friendly or held in check it should be able to hold that land until it chooses to get rid of it, if it ever does. As for the land in Europe - well holding Chisinau is a bit of a ludicrous idea, being isolated from the sea and miles from anywhere "safe". If the UK didn't just sell the land to Moldavia then its continuing presence there would entirely be reliant upon the locals supporting their rule (highly unlikely) and them staying neutral or allied in wars with Russia in future, because that land would just be impossible to hold against a decent assault. As for the land in the Baltics, they would be better placed there to hold on to the land, but essentially it would be by retreating to a couple of massive coastal fortresses upon the advent of war with Russia, keeping them supplied and essentially hoping for a favourable peace based on decisive battles elsewhere to force the Russians to relinquish what they have taken.

Either way, if Russia decides it wants those provinces back then come a war they'd be mostly overrun within weeks.

I usually just use the neville cheat to draw the borders after wars as I think they should be according to who won and lost.

I'd probably have taken all of Finland, and Crimea and have Britain puppet them, and return all the far eastern ones. Maybe not the Kurils though.