Independant Sarawak?

So what would the shelf life be for the Kingdom of Sarawak had it not been ceded to the UK in 1946 (let's say the Japanese occupation did less damage resulting in a more manageable repair bill). Were the White Rajahs popular enough to avoid overthrow once the British begin withdrawing from the region? Would Indonesia be a bigger threat than it was to Malaysia?

destiple

Banned
Is this area oil rich ?

Do/did they resent the control of Malaya more than that of Jakarta ?

Is there a possibility of war between malaysia and indonesia over Sarawak during the post 45 era ?

Deleted member 109224

The White Rajahs were very popular. They'd have no trouble retaining power, at least for a generation.

I could see Sabah/North Borneo handed over to them as well if the place isn't given to Malaysia.

The Kingdom definitely would have more trouble with Indonesia than Malaysia did due to being smaller, but I could see them striking a deal with the US or UK for protection.

Without North Borneo and including Singapore, Malaya isn't majority Malay. Plurality yes, but not majority.

There was a proposed Federation of North Borneo in the 50s. I could see Sarawak assuming authority over protecting Brunei (which means more oil revenue for Sarawak).

The White Rajahs were very popular. They'd have no trouble retaining power, at least for a generation.

I could see Sabah/North Borneo handed over to them as well if the place isn't given to Malaysia.

The Kingdom definitely would have more trouble with Indonesia than Malaysia did due to being smaller, but I could see them striking a deal with the US or UK for protection.

Without North Borneo and including Singapore, Malaya isn't majority Malay. Plurality yes, but not majority.

There was a proposed Federation of North Borneo in the 50s. I could see Sarawak assuming authority over protecting Brunei (which means more oil revenue for Sarawak).

Well, we could have the kingdom join Malaysia, which would be... interesting for its rotating monarchy. On one hand, Malay Muslim society in Malaya is probably going to react with horror at the idea of a European Christian in the position of Yang di-Pertuan Agong, however temporary the term. But on the other hand, you can't help but be fascinated by the appeal of creating another post for the 'Things that look like Alternate History, but aren't' thread.

I have an independent Sarawak in my timeline. Both the White Rajahs and a progressive movement in Malaysia are members of a Commonwealth with more of a military vent.

Looking at Mrs Brooke's bio, I find that a lot of why the Brooke dynasty collapsed is because she was too power-mad. Islamic law barred her daughters from succession, and she gone way out of her way to tar her nephew's name enough to change the laws. Even if she got past all that somehow (maybe she did have a son, or forced inheritance changes through the council) her lax parenting would have almost certainly doomed the Brookes with a decadent baskethead in the next generation.

So yea, it would be a 'shame' if anything were to happen to her. *looks around furtively*

Were the White Rajahs popular enough to avoid overthrow once the British begin withdrawing from the region?
As far as I'm aware the Rajah's were popular and, independent of that, there were quite large protests against the Kingdom being turned over to the British and incorporated into Malaya. To quote a post of mine from a previous thread,
I don't have the source now but one of previous times a Sarawak thread came I went looking for population with it breaking down as roughly 19% Malay just before WWII decreasing to 17% by the time it joined Malaysia, the Iban Dayaks and Chinese with 35% and 25% respectively before the war and even by the 1960s that had only dropped to about 31% for both of them. The Bidayuh Dayaks and other assorted natives made up another 14%.