In the Heart of Metal: Ozzy Osbourne Dies in 1982

Actually in OTL, Powell was with MSG in 1981 and 1982 before he was with Whitesnake until 1985. He did multiple projects before his first stint in Black Sabbath began in 1988.

Here, he's gone from MSG straight into Led Zeppelin. Tommy Aldridge went from Ozzy Osbourne into Whitesnake to succeed Ian Paice. Tommy Aldridge is still a part of Whitesnake here. MSG's fortunes have followed OTL.

Tovarich

Banned
I'm very much enjoying this TL, although it occurs to me that this should be a dystopic one for me, as you've butchered the 'Born Again' album (incredibly underrated, in my view) and deprived me of probably the best gig I've ever seen in my life - Ozzy at Donnington in '84, when he was way down the bill and just performed like it was for the fun of it, nothing to prove (he had to be literally dragged off stage, so roadies could get Van Halen's stuff ready!)

I don't suppose there's anyway the butterflies could give Slade a better second chance in the US?
You've given glam-metal the same place as OTL, and Quiet Riot have the same hit with their cover of 'Cum On Feel The Noize', so if Rolling Stone or somesuch published an interview with Noddy talking about how they successfully replaced Ozzy at Reading (which sparked their UK resurgence) may it have led to increased US respect? Especially if a plasti-disc sample of the gig was given away with the magazine? (Did US music-papers do that, or was that just a UK thing?)

I'm very much enjoying this TL, although it occurs to me that this should be a dystopic one for me, as you've butchered the 'Born Again' album (incredibly underrated, in my view) and deprived me of probably the best gig I've ever seen in my life - Ozzy at Donnington in '84, when he was way down the bill and just performed like it was for the fun of it, nothing to prove (he had to be literally dragged off stage, so roadies could get Van Halen's stuff ready!)

I've somewhat imagined that the "Dio" songs that made it onto this version of Born Again would sound more like Sabbath songs. I do think Born Again is an underrated album.

I don't suppose there's anyway the butterflies could give Slade a better second chance in the US?
You've given glam-metal the same place as OTL, and Quiet Riot have the same hit with their cover of 'Cum On Feel The Noize', so if Rolling Stone or somesuch published an interview with Noddy talking about how they successfully replaced Ozzy at Reading (which sparked their UK resurgence) may it have led to increased US respect? Especially if a plasti-disc sample of the gig was given away with the magazine? (Did US music-papers do that, or was that just a UK thing?)

I never gave much thought to Slade. Quiet Riot has had similar problems here due to Kevin DuBrow driving Rudy Sarzo out of the band. DuBrow is less critical of Ozzy Osbourne in this timeline, but it's more out of a desire to not look like a jerk to the media and his friends Sarzo and Rhoads.

On the subject of glam, I always felt glam metal ended up getting a bad rap. Overexposure by MTV, pressure from record companies and MTV to produce more radio friendly work, and the critical distaste for it did not leave much of a good taste in the mouths for future generations. You certainly had bands and fans from the thrash metal scene that hated glam, but it was likely far more complicated than image, getting women, and some perceived notion that true metal was betrayed. Both glam and thrash had many of the same influences, so the feud really was pretty silly.

Back to the subject of the timeline itself, most of my changes have been pretty subtle. The only major changes outside of Ozzy's death have been:

1) Ronnie James Dio remains in Black Sabbath.
2) Led Zeppelin reunites and has Cozy Powell on the drums.
3) Anthrax starts getting an earlier push alongside Metallica.
4) Kirk Hammett dies in the bus crash rather than Cliff Burton.
5) Hinted that Exodus is going to get a major push.

I'm probably going to have to post some short additions to the timeline before my next update so I can keep track of where everyone is and what they're doing.

Chapter 5: Among the Living

1987 was the year that changed everything in metal. Many experts point to 1987 as the year that glam died and thrash became more accepted by mainstream. There were many landmark thrash metal albums in 1987, but none were more significant than Anthrax’s Among the Living.

Anthrax Usurps the Throne

“Anthrax was more accessible than Metallica, but they were no less heavy. They are easily one of the greatest metal bands to ever strap on a guitar.” – Kurt Cobain, 2006

“I think what really helped Anthrax was the fact that they had the total package. Charlie Benante and Frank Bello were such a tight rhythm section, Scott Ian and Dan Spitz provided the dual guitar threat, and then you had a guy like Joey Belladonna who could sing very well.” – Cozy Powell, 1999

Coming off a successful US tour with Led Zeppelin and a short European tour, Anthrax returned to the studio in October to record what would be their breakout album. Among the Living hit the shelves in March 1987 to tremendous buzz and it debuted at #9 on the Billboard 200. Backed by the singles “Indians,” “Caught in a Mosh,” and “I Am the Law,” Anthrax shot up the charts and racked up album sales, reaching double platinum by the end of the year and quadruple platinum by the end of 1988. Anthrax became the first thrash metal band with a #1 album on the Billboard 200.

“We were all blown away by the success of that album,” Scott Ian recalled in 1999. “It wasn’t just us because that album exploded all over MTV.”

Anthrax also released an EP that year titled I’m the Man. The title track is considered the first rap metal song and the EP was also certified platinum by the RIAA. Thrash had arrived.

Rise of Thrash Metal and the Decline of Glam Metal

“Kids were returning their Bon Jovi, Poison, and Mötley Crüe records and buying Anthrax,” recalled Nikki Sixx. “We just couldn’t compete with that level of intensity. After that, there wasn’t much room for us.”

With the success of Anthrax, many thrash metal bands were coming out of the woodwork and enjoying success. Exodus released their sophomore effort Pleasures of the Flesh, which was the album that propelled Exodus to major success.

Bonded by Blood, Pleasures of the Flesh, and Fabulous Disaster,” said Kurt Cobain in 2006. “Those are three of my favorite metal albums of all time. We toured with Exodus after we released Bleach. We love those guys.”

Overkill released the album Taking Over in 1987, which would be certified gold by the end of the year. The band toured with its fellow East Coast thrashers Anthrax in the United States. From the Bay Area scene, Testament released its debut album The Legacy. A popular band in the Bay Area, Testament became a nationwide success follow the release of that album and their follow up album The New Order in 1988.

“It was a metal revolution,” said Cliff Burton in 1996. “You had bands like Overkill, Testament, and Death Angel really start to take off. All of a sudden, people weren’t paying so much attention to the Sunset Strip anymore. People thought they were scared of bands like W.A.S.P., but when these people went to an Exodus show or a Slayer show, they usually shit their pants.”

“Oh, the P.M.R.C. thought they knew what they hated,” Overkill frontman Bobby Blitz recalled with a laugh in 2001. “Then they saw some thrash metal lyrics and it blew their minds.”

“Thrash metal was dangerous to some people,” said Chris Jericho in 2004. “It wasn’t like seeing cross dressers on your tv like you got with glam metals. These guys looked like they came from the streets and they could kick your ass. After Anthrax and Metallica, I think everyone got it. It influenced a lot of those bands that were forming in Seattle and some glam metal bands were rebranding themselves as thrash metal bands.”

“Concert promoters at these major arenas didn’t know what to do,” recalled Kerry King. “We were going from the clubs to the big arenas and it scared the shit out of them. Kids were buying our albums and we reaching new levels of popularity. Arena tours were inevitable.”

Even Metallica joined in the fun that year, releasing The $5.98 E.P.: Garage Days Re-Revisited, their first official recording with new guitarist Zakk Wylde. The German trash metal kings Kreator found the beginnings of moderate success in North America with the release Terrible Certainty. Metal pioneers Anvil released Strength of Steel, which helped revive their musical fortunes.

For glam metal bands, the shift could not have been more dramatic. Bands like Bon Jovi, Poison, and Cinderella who were beginning to pick up steam saw a major halt in their fortunes. It did not completely destroy the careers of more established bands like Mötley Crüe or W.A.S.P., who still retained their edge and respectable success.

“All of a sudden, you saw bands like Anthrax, Exodus, and Overkill all over the new Headbangers Ball,” recalled Dokken guitarist George Lynch. “We dug what they were doing, but the thrash metal bands always made no secret that they hated us and what we stood for. The critics liked them and hated us. It was a time when you didn’t get those hooks and melodies. Sure Anthrax had them, which was why they became so huge. But if you couldn’t get a mosh pit going or really shock someone, those were tough times.”

“We stayed together and kept soldiering on,” said Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P. “Our songwriting was becoming more intelligent and I think that helped us a lot.”

“It was a big deal for us,” said Skid Row guitarist Snake Sabo. “We were friends with Bon Jovi and the music scene was changing. We had to evolve or die. I think Anthrax and Metallica pushed us to be better musicians, but that music also buried a diverse music scene.”

Skid Row as not the only band forced to quickly retool its sound. Pantera, a moderately successful glam metal band from Texas, was already shifting towards a thrashier sound. Terry Glaze, their lead vocalist, was no longer in the band. They discovered Razor White vocalist Phil Anselmo in New Orleans, who fit their group better and helped take the band in a new direction.

For Megadeth, it was a year of reshuffling. Dave Mustaine fired Chris Poland and Gars Samuelson due to drug use and unreliability. Megadeth replaced them with Jeff Young on guitar and Chuck Behler on drums.

Whitesnake released their self-titled album in 1987. It enjoyed more success in Europe than in North America due to changing music interests. It was one of the catalysts that led to the breakup of Whitesnake a couple of years later.

Seattle Metal Scene

In Seattle, two of the most important thrash metal bands from that scene formed in 1987: Alice in Chains and Nirvana. Both had different sounds that crossed over into the alternative metal movement, but they were also true to their thrash metal roots.

“Metal Church was from Seattle,” said Jerry Cantrell in 2006. “A lot of people forget that. Soundgarden started out as more of a straight up grunge band and like us, they drifted more towards thrash metal. Then you had this insane guitar player named Kurt Cobain in this band ironically called Nirvana.”

“I started out inspired by old Black Sabbath records and punk rock,” said Kurt Cobain. “But when those thrash metal records came out, those bands pushed me to be a better musician.”

Seattle was seen as a melting pot that forged what would later be termed alternative metal, though grunge also had a small cult following. The grunge band Soundgarden was swept up in the thrash metal wave and incorporated those elements into their sound. The bands would be part of the third wave of thrash that found the most crossover success.

“Crossover thrash,” Nuclear Assault bassist Dan Lilker recalled of the Seattle scene. “There was a lot of that there. I can’t recall how many times I heard S.O.D. and Anthrax riffs in those albums.”

“It was an interesting scene,” said Dave Mustaine. “Crossover seemed to be the way of the future, but you had bands like Alice in Chains and Nirvana that could still produce a very technical sound.”

Death Metal

While thrash metal was finally finding mainstream success, death metal was emerging as the next form of extreme metal. Bands like Death, Deicide, Obituary, and Morbid Angel would be instrumental in taking extreme metal to the next level.

Power Metal

Power metal continued to gain steam in North America and Europe. Bands like Manowar and Savatage in North America and Helloween in Europe were garnering success. Some believed power metal to be the next underground phenomenon.

Major Albums Released in 1987:
Anthrax – Among the Living
Anthrax – I’m the Man (EP)
Anvil – Strength of Steel
Armored Saint – Raising Fear
Cacophony – Speed Metal Symphony
Celtic Frost – Into the Pandemonium
D.R.I. – Crossover
Death – Scream Bloody Gore
Death Angel – The Ultra-Violence
Deep Purple - The House of Blue Light
Dokken – Back for the Attack
Exodus – Pleasures of the Flesh
Guns N’ Roses – Appetite for Destruction
Helloween – Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1
King Diamond – Abigail
Kiss – Crazy Nights
Lääz Rockit – Know Your Enemy
Manowar – Fighting the World
Metallica – The $5.98 EP: Garage Days Re-Revisited
Mötley Crüe – Girls, Girls, Girls
Overkill – Taking Over
Rush - Hold Your Fire
Savatage – Hall of the Mountain King
Triumph - Surveillance
Voivod – Killing Technology
W.A.S.P. – Live…In the Raw
Whitesnake – Whitesnake

Major bands formed in 1987:
Alice in Chains
Arcturus
Burzum
Cynic
Danzig
Darkthrone
Deicide
Mushuggah
Nirvana
Skid Row

1987 Disbandments:
Accept (Udo Dirkshneider departs)
Alcatrazz
Sound Barrier
Twisted Sister
Warlock
Grim Reaper

Last edited:
Question: Since 1986 is done. The metal song in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home; is it different or is it still 'I Hate You'?

(And if its still 'I Hate You' would any of the lyrics be different?)

Are there going to be any major changes to pop culture (besides music) in this timeline (ie, the way grunge changed 90s pop culture in OTL)?

Question: Since 1986 is done. The metal song in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home; is it different or is it still 'I Hate You'?

(And if its still 'I Hate You' would any of the lyrics be different?)

It was a punk song and that didn't change.

Will Warlock follow OTL, or will things change for Doro?

I'm not done with Doro yet.

Are there going to be any major changes to pop culture (besides music) in this timeline (ie, the way grunge changed 90s pop culture in OTL)?

The butterflies are bound to have a big impact on the 90's. Grunge here is being absorbed into some form of crossover thrash and the alternative metal movement. You're looking at a time period where glam metal begins its decline a couple of years earlier than OTL. The cultural shift of the 90's will be different. I'm not going to say much, but it will be the sort of stuff you might not expect.

Interesting timeline so far, especially with Nirvana and Alice in Chains being thrash bands. What does that do for Courtney Love? Is she non-existent or does she play a role? I'm guessing in this case, not so much (at least I hope).

Only thing I'm not so sure about is Pantera, especially with the radical image change with getting Phil Anselmo and replacing Terry Glaze if they were already popular as opposed to OTL. Would people buy into that so easily? Wait, are they popular in this TL in 1987?

Metallica with Zakk Wylde huh? One thing I guarantee, he won't be pushed around as easily by James and Lars as Kirk was.

On a personal note, if I could build a machine to go to alternate universes, I would want to live on this one. The quality of the rock scene in general seems much better (although it could be a bit of a biased opinion) :)

One thing I've been wondering is how the SST Records bands (Black Flag, Saint Vitus, Minutemen, SWA, Wurm, DC3 etc) fit in here.. After starting out as a hardcore punk label, the bands diversified into many branches of hard rock & post-hardcore.. Surely they should figure somewhere along the line?

The "My War" album by Black Flag was reportedly a huge influence on the Seattle scene.. A punk band playing slow songs was a test to their audience akin to Dylan going electric!

Interesting TL! With Cliff alive Metallica would remain a thrash metal band at large, though he'd likely continue with helping evolve their music. Kirk's loss is sad though.

OTOH Led Zep being active at this point means that alongside Black Sabbath with a stable lineup the notion of "classic rock" is less pronounced TTL. Deep Purple has been changed little from what I see though, unless you find a way to fix the whole Blackmore vs Gillan thing.

And Nirvana as a thrash metal band? Great move.

Interesting timeline so far, especially with Nirvana and Alice in Chains being thrash bands. What does that do for Courtney Love? Is she non-existent or does she play a role? I'm guessing in this case, not so much (at least I hope).

Courtney Love's insignificant enough in this timeline to not even mention her.

Only thing I'm not so sure about is Pantera, especially with the radical image change with getting Phil Anselmo and replacing Terry Glaze if they were already popular as opposed to OTL. Would people buy into that so easily? Wait, are they popular in this TL in 1987?

Pantera getting more success simply meant they received some moderate airplay. I Am the Night was taking the band in the heavy direction, so they're simply in the right place at the right time to avoid the whole glam death. Skid Row and a few other bands are already rebranding themselves to be less glam.

Metallica with Zakk Wylde huh? One thing I guarantee, he won't be pushed around as easily by James and Lars as Kirk was.

He definitely won't, but you'd get some amazing music with that collaboration.

On a personal note, if I could build a machine to go to alternate universes, I would want to live on this one. The quality of the rock scene in general seems much better (although it could be a bit of a biased opinion) :)

It's a lot better in general. I haven't covered other aspects of popular culture that are due for changes.

Interesting TL! With Cliff alive Metallica would remain a thrash metal band at large, though he'd likely continue with helping evolve their music. Kirk's loss is sad though.

There's still plenty in store for Metallica here.

OTOH Led Zep being active at this point means that alongside Black Sabbath with a stable lineup the notion of "classic rock" is less pronounced TTL. Deep Purple has been changed little from what I see though, unless you find a way to fix the whole Blackmore vs Gillan thing.

That's a pretty good point that I've tried to get across here. The continued mainstream activity of Zeppelin and Sabbath doesn't create the supposed cutoff point where people might think the classics died. Zeppelin and Sabbath have already passed the torch to some degree to Anthrax and Metallica.

And Nirvana as a thrash metal band? Great move.

I figured that would turn a few heads. :D

Yeah, Anthrax and Metallica TTL serve as the voice of the disillusioned Gen Xers, whilst the "classic" bands probably would appeal to the older fans who liked them in the 70s. Nevertheless Metal's still gonna be loud. :D

Chapter 6: And Justice For All

The mainstream popularity of thrash metal did so much more than change the music scene. Thrash metal was making its way into film soundtracks. New styles were developing for teenagers as the street look popularized by thrash metal fans was taking over in high schools. Denim jackets and leather jackets were becoming more common sights in schools as late 1980’s fashion drifted away from bright colors.

Thrash Metal on the Big Screen

“Horror and thrash metal go together like peanut butter and jelly.” – Bobby Blitz, 1988

The glam metal band Dokken provided the theme song “Dream Warriors” for the film A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. The next film in the series, A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master, featured more thrash metal bands. Slayer provided the track “Silent Scream” from its album South of Heaven. Other prominently featured thrash metal bands featured on the album were Overkill (“Hello from the Gutter”), Anthrax (“Antisocial”), and Lääz Rockit (“Dream Master”).

Even some thrash metal found its way into a competing slasher franchise. In Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood, one of the characters was listening to Metallica’s cover of “Crash Course in Brain Surgery” before having his skull split by Jason Vorhees.

Anthrax was also featured in the soundtrack for Return of the Living Dead Part II with the songs “I’m the Man” and “A.D.I./Horror of it All.” Testament (“Over the Wall”), Death Angel (“Kill As One”), Kreator (“Pleasure to Kill”), and M.O.D. (“Aren’t You Hungry?”) were also featured on the soundtrack.

Perhaps one of the biggest exposures for glam vs. thrash metal was the documentary The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years. Despite being in a year when glam metal was slowly falling out of favor, it featured glam bands prominently as well as interviews from Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Steven Tyler, Lemmy, and Ronnie James Dio. The only thrash metal bands featured in the documentary were Megadeth and Slayer, two bands from the Los Angeles area.

The documentary has a notorious scene featuring Chris Holmes of W.A.S.P. intoxicated in a swimming pool with a bottle of vodka. It also featured many excesses of the glam bands, which only served to heighten the distaste for the music with American youths.

In Other News

Interest in the fantasy genre was peaking in the 1980’s thanks in part to the trilogy of Conan films directed by John Milius. Following the original Conan the Barbarian, Milius directed and helped write Conan the Destroyer with fantasy author Robert Jordan. Released in 1984, Conan the Destroyer took elements from various Robert E. Howard works while drawing heavily from the Conan story “Black Colossus.” Excalibur actor Patrick Stewart was tapped to play the villainous sorcerer Thugra Khotan and the Khorajan princess Yasmela was played by Lea Thompson. The film proved to be an even bigger hit than the original film.

For the final film in the trilogy, Conan the Conquerer, Milius again teamed up with Jordan to pen a tale drawing inspiration from Conan stories such as “The Scarlet Citadel” and “Hour of the Dragon.” Work on the film was delayed due to Schwarzenegger’s work on Commando and Predator. Filming began in 1987 after Schwarzenegger finished work on Predator. Conan’s villain in this film was the ancient sorcerer Xaltotun (Christopher Lee). Conan became King of Aquilonia early in the film, but spent the rest of the film trying to reclaim his throne and save his kingdom. The film was released in late 1988 to great reviews and it was a huge hit at the box office.

Other Robert E. Howard properties were green lit. A film adaptation of Kull starring Dolph Lundgren was due for release in 1990. An adaptation of Solomon Kane starring Christopher Lambert was also in the works, which also led to delays of a planned sequel to the film Highlander.

The film Willow proved to be a major hit despite comparisons to Star Wars. The success of Willow prompted George Lucas to begin penning a sequel to the film, which later grew into another trilogy. Lucas would later admit that The Shadow War trilogy taxed him to the point that he decided not to do a Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Director James Cameron was tapped to direct a film adaptation of Lord of the Rings, which was being produced by Steven Spielberg. Production would not begin until the completion of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

In the world of politics, George H. W. Bush won the 1988 United States Presidential Election.

A Year in Music

Pantera returned after a three year period between album releases to release Power Metal. It revealed a major shift in music direction for the band, flawlessly blending glam and thrash elements. They dropped the glam image and adopted the street image of thrash metal bands. While some die hard thrash metal fans refused to accept the new Pantera, their fourth album was an instant success, going gold in 1988.

A few thrash bands managed to break into mainstream success. Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer, which already flirted outside the mainstream sphere, broke into the mainstream with a vengeance. Exodus, Overkill, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies, Death Angel, and D.R.I. crossed over into the mainstream as well.

“It was such a big change,” recalled Overkill frontman Bobby Blitz. “We went from little exposure on the air to hearing our songs on radio stations across the country. It was pretty surreal when you consider the fact that record companies and radio stations were running from us only a few years before Among the Living.”

“Record companies were scouring the streets of San Francisco for thrash metal bands,” recalled Jon Bon Jovi in the 2007 documentary Going Glam. “We received a dose of just how cruel the music business could be. It sucked.”

Metallica released quite possibly the biggest album of 1988. Their fourth album …And Justice For All debuted at #4 upon its release and quickly went gold. The album would be certified platinum in early 1989. Megadeth released its third album So Far, So Good…So What!, which would be platinum certified by the end of the year. It featured the song “In My Darkest Hour,” which was dedicated to the memory of Kirk Hammett. Slayer released South of Heaven, which was a slower album than its predecessor. It still managed to go gold.

Overkill released its first album without founding drummer Rat Skates and with new drummer Sid Falck. Under the Influence was a well-received follow up to Taking Over and also went gold. Testament released their second album The New Order, which also had moderate success. Death Angel released Frolic through the Park. Soundgarden released its first album Ultramega OK, which had elements of crossover thrash while still retaining some of the grunge sound.

“We were still defining our sound,” said Chris Cornell of the album. “We weren’t a straight up thrash band like Alice and Chains or Nirvana, but we were different.”

Thrash metal bands were not the only bands getting big. Guns N’ Roses was profiting off the success of airplay from their second single “Welcome to the Jungle.” Those originating from Los Angeles, the band lacked the glam aspects to their image and sound and instead delivered straight up hard rock. They also released an album called GN’R Lies, which compiled the faux-live EP Live Like a Suicide with four new songs. The song “Patience” became a huge hit.

Randy Rhoads released his second album, which was simply titled Project. Critics praised the album as well as the performances by the band. “Rhoads lays down his best chops since Diary of a Madman,” said one reviewer. Black Sabbath released The Eternal Idol, which was well reviewed, but ultimately only managed to go gold years later. Nevertheless, The Eternal Idol Tour was one of the biggest tours of 1988.

“It’s probably one of the most underrated Black Sabbath albums,” remarked Lars Ulrich in a 1992 interview.

Another band from Seattle released a landmark album for the progressive metal genre. Queensrÿche released the concept album Operation: Mindcrime. The impact would not be felt until 1989 and the album is considered one of the early classics of the progressive metal genre.

In the power metal genre, bands like Manowar began to gain some fringe mainstream acceptance with the album Kings of Metal. German band Running Wild had their song “Conquistadores” receive some airplay on MTV Headbanger’s Ball. Virgin Steele’s album Age of Consent was also an underground hit.

Further underground than power was the growing death metal and black metal scenes. More extreme than thrash metal, it was not readily accepted by many who were just getting into thrash metal for the first time. However, these bands were well loved by their thrash cousins. Another underground hit was Mournful Cries by the doom metal band Saint Vitus. King Diamond's third album Them proved to be a moderately successful concept album and a cult hit.

The British heavy metal band Raven was able to enjoy a comeback of sorts with the release of Nothing Exceeds Like Excess. One of the side effects of the surge of interest in thrash metal was the revival in interest in the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Saxon released Destiny, which did not enjoy as much success as their earlier material.

Bon Jovi released New Jersey and Poison released Open Up and Say Ahh! to lackluster sales. Cinderella’s Long Cold Winter and Ratt’s Reach for the Sky also suffered the same fate.

The Monsters of Rock tour featured the bands Metallica, Anthrax, Van Halen, Scorpions, and the Randy Rhoads Band. Yngwie Malmsteen recorded his last album with the classic Rising Force lineup. Jeff Scott Soto would go solo with the rest of the band in 1989 while Malmsteen assembled a new band.

Major albums released in 1988:
AC/DC – Blow Up Your Video
Armored Saint – Saints Will Conquer
Bathory – Blood Fire Death
Black Sabbath – The Eternal Idol
Blind Guardian – Battalions of Fear
Cacophony – Go Off!
Celtic Frost – Cold Lake
Crimson Glory – Transcendence
D.R.I. – 4 of a Kind
Danzig – Danzig
Death – Leprosy
Death Angel – Frolic through the Park
Fates Warning – No Exit
Forbidden – Forbidden Evil
Girlschool – Take a Bite
Guns N’ Roses – GN’R Lies
Helloween – Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2
Impellitteri – Stand in Line
Iron Maiden – Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Jason Becker – Perpetual Burn
Judas Priest – Ram it Down
King Diamond – Them
Manowar – Kings of Metal
Marty Friedman – Dragon’s Kiss
Megadeth – So Far, So Good…So What!
Metallica – …And Justice For All
Motörhead – No Sleep at All (live)
Nuclear Assault – Survive
Overkill – Under the Influence
Pantera – Power Metal
Randy Rhoads Band – Project
Raven – Nothing Exceeds Like Excess
Razor – Violent Restitution
Riot – Thundersteel
Running Wild – Port Royal
Running Wild – Ready for Boarding
Sadus – Illusions
Saint Vitus – Mournful Cries
Saxon – Destiny
Scorpions – Savage Amusement
Slayer – South of Heaven
Sodom – Mortal Way of Live
Soundgarden – Ultramega OK
Suicidal Tendencies – How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can’t Even Smile Today
Testament – The New Order
Van Halen – OU812
Vio-lence – Eternal Nightmare
Virgin Steele – Age of Consent
Voivod – Dimension Hatröss
X Japan – Vanishing Vision
Yngwie J. Malmsteen – Odyssey

Major Bands Formed in 1988
Amon Amarth
Cannibal Corpse
Gamma Ray
Nine Inch Nails

Caspian

Banned
What exactly happens with Cold Lake here?

As I understand, the departure of Martin Eric Ain and Warrior's then-happy relationship with his wife led him to sort of relinquish leadership of the band and allow his guitarist (whose name I forget at the moment) to direct the band towards a horrific sort of glam.

With the earlier collapse of glam and greater popularity of thrash in this timeline, maybe Celtic Frost avoids the disaster that was CL? Maybe that guitarist is more influenced by thrash, and while he may still direct the band, the horrible thrash/black/glam hybrid that was CL will avoid the glam elements and be something of a cross between Into the Pandemonium and Vanity/Nemisis, but hopefully still with Ibanez guitars and Warrior's actual growl, rather than that weak mewl.