In the absence of George Washington who becomes the first US President?

Hamilton was not 35 as of 3/4/1789 so he is out. Thomas Paine was a pamphleteer and a radical. No way. Hancock OTL only got 4 votes in the election, none from MA which went for JA, and was in declining health. Without Washington I think you are looking at three primary candidates, JA, Jay, and TJ. New England, Middle, South. And maybe a Pinckney from SC. I would expect the regions to largely stick together (but some split states) but SC could well be the wild card, either by having its own favorite son or not backing TJ. I don't recall the EV breakdown, but it seems that the big three would end up battling it out in the HoR, and with 1 vote per state and 7 needed to win, someone is going to have to deal. Not a good look for a new Republic starting out.

Exactly as the title suggests, who’s likely to try for the position and who’s likely to win?
(Ideally not Adams, Jay, Artemas Ward or Casimir Pułaski)

When exactly does he diie?

If it's before the Constitutional Convention, there may not even *be* a Presidency in the sense we know. Thet might go for an Executive Council of several members, being replced in rotation.

When exactly does he diie?

If it's before the Constitutional Convention, there may not even *be* a Presidency in the sense we know. Thet might go for an Executive Council of several members, being replced in rotation.
Now you say it this council idea is pretty cool, anyone else find it plausible? And would the candidates you've all been suggesting be likely to end up in it?

Now you say it this council idea is pretty cool, anyone else find it plausible? And would the candidates you've all been suggesting be likely to end up in it?
The New Jersey Plan referred to an "Executive of - - - persons" while the Virginia Plan merely mentioned an "Executive" w/o specifying whether this would be one person or several But once it became clear that Washington was available, interest in a plural one quickly faded.

Last edited:
The New Jersey Plan referred to an "E xecutive of persons" while the Virginia Plan merely ntioned an "Executive" w/o specifyinng whether this would be one person or several But once it became clear that /Washington was available, interest in a plural one quickly faded.
Wanna answer my questions?

Wanna answer my questions?
Well, if there's no Washingtomn then Franklin might accept a seat, though his tenure wd be short. Adams and Jefferson are certainly both possible. But much depends on how many members the Couuncil has, and exactly how they are chosen. I think Hamilton's views would be sees as too "cenralising", though as one of five or seven he might be tolerated. Even then, though, he'd probably get outvoted a lot.

Well, if there's no Washingtomn then Franklin might accept a seat, though his tenure wd be short. Adams and Jefferson are certainly both possible. But much depends on how many members the Couuncil has, and exactly how they are chosen. I think Hamilton's views would be sees as too "cenralising", though as one of five or seven he might be tolerated. Even then, though, he'd probably get outvoted a lot.
Any ideas for people not discounted in the opening post?

Any ideas for people not discounted in the opening post?

Well, Madison is proabably ruled out anyway, if (as I suspect) the rules don't allow two members from the same State. Similarly, if Hancock is chosen then Adams probably can't be.

When Franklin dies, another Pennsylvanian (Mifflin?) might replace him. If only one Virginian is allowed, then SC might sent Rutledge or one of the Pinckneys. The smaller States may support a New Yorker (NY had been mostly aligned with them at the Convention) but George Clinton might be more likely than Hamilton. Luther Martin )might be another possible if NC ratifies in time.

Last edited:
Well, Madison is proabably ruled out anyway, if (as I suspect) the rules don't allow two members from the same State. Similarly, if Hancock is chosen then Adams probably can't be.

When Franklin dies, another Pennsylvanian (Mifflin?) might rplace him. If only one Virginian is allowed, then SC might sent Rutledge or one of the Pinckneys. The smaller Ststes may support a New Yorker (NY had been mostly aligned with them at the Convention) but George Clinton might be more likely than Hamilton. Luther Martin might be another possible.
Thank ye very much!

Would anybody other then Washington who had earned the respect of the former soldiers involved in it, be able to subdue the Whiskey Rebellion in the early 1790's. The United States was still a fragile union at the time and could easily broken apart with some states being taken over by other stronger states or outside powers.
"Mad" Anthony Wayne perhaps? He would later be called on by Washington to command in the North West Indian War