In Control: A TLIAD/POT

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you've finally decided to actually publish a TL.

Yup. I have plenty of free time at the moment. Great time management skills, not so much... say, who are you, anyway? Are you, like, that weird interview person from Sleeping Giants? Are you my conscience?

If I was your conscience, you'd be a better writer. Anyway, what is this?

So, I was having one of those moments where I was thinking completely random thoughts, and one of those thoughts was, "What if Alexander Haig was actually committing a coup in 1981?"

...That's the kind of stuff you just think of randomly?

Don't judge me. Anyway, I whipped up a quick wikibox for it, and it got a good response. A couple of people even asked me for more content. So I made some, posted that, and got an even bigger response. Thank you, BTW, to all those who read, liked, and commented on my original posts. It really does mean a lot.

So you're putting it all in Post-1900?

Basically, yeah.

Al Haig actually pulling off a coup... this sounds completely ASB.

Oh, it is. I acknowledge the silliness of the premise. But goddamn was it fun to play around with.

That title... is this a TLIAD, or a TLIAPOT?

I'd like to have everything posted by the end of Thursday, but my aforementioned time management skills being what they are, I might be doing this over several days. So this is basically a disclaimer. Oh, and I give full credit to Gonzo for, IIRC, coming up with the concept of a TLIAPOT.

Yeah, you should probably do that.

Anyway, we begin posting in five minutes.

What?!

Faux-Pas-Few-laughing-at-Presidents-impromptu-joke-Archive.jpg

I see what you did there.

Starting tomorrow...

IN CONTROL: THE COUP OF '81

I'm the only American alive or dead who presided unhappily over the removal of a vice president and a president.
-Alexander Haig

PART ONE: BLACK MONDAY

"...we still do not know the identity of the perpetrator, but we do know this: at approximately 2:20 p.m., President Reagan was shot outside the Washington Hilton Hotel. His status is still unknown, but we have several eyewitnesses who believe they saw the president get shot..."

-Frank Reynolds, ABC News, March 30th, 1981

reaganhedead.png

"The president is dead... As of right now, I am in control, here, in the White House. Right now, my top priority is to secure Washington, and the nation as a whole, against any and all threats..."

-Alexander Haig, March 30th, 1981, addressing the press following the assassination of Ronald Reagan

"Mr. Vice President, please come with us."

"I am the Acting President. What the hell gives you the authority to-hey, put those goddamn guns away! What is thi-"

-Last words of George H.W. Bush, Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, March 30th, 1981

"We swore an oath, boys! These bastards have killed President Reagan, but we won't let them take this country down!"

-Secret Service director John Simpson, March 30th 1981, just prior to engaging in a gun battle with Haig loyalists in the West Wing

haigcoup-png.278090

"HAIG DECLARES EMERGENCY GOVERNMENT"

-The New York Times, April 1st, 1981

"President Reagan's death at the hands of Soviet conspirators was a tragedy, but also a lesson. We must stand on guard against the Soviet threat. To this end, I am declaring a state of martial law nationwide until we can be better informed about all possible threats to our nation, and to our way of life..."

-Alexander Haig, April 4th, 1981, in a live address from the Oval Office

Last edited:
I am interested. I wonder - in this timeline, was John Hinckley acting under orders from Haig, or did Haig just see an opportunity and run with it?

PART TWO: GLORIOUS AND FREE
"They are pulling themselves apart! Now is our chance to take the advantage over the Americans."

"Comrade General Secretary, I know who Alexander Haig is. He is a madman, perhaps, but not an incautious one. If we intervene in the Polish situation, then he will react. Alexander Haig, with nuclear weapons, feeling threatened, is a far worse danger than mere inaction."

"I've heard reports that half his military is mutinying, and the man goes on television every other day to insult us. Why shouldn't we act?"

"He wants to be able to punch us in the nose. He wants a war. Who benefits from such a conflict, other than his own apocalyptic mindset?"

"So we shrink away."

"No. We stay on in Afghanistan, but go no further. As the Americans say, business as usual."

"This is cowardice. An affront to the nation!"

"In this situation, the alternative is that we all burn."

-Conversation between Leonid Brezhnev and Andrei Gromyko, April 10th, 1981

"'...we understand at this time that the United States Army, the 10th Mountain Division, has been called in to manage the situation. For those of you joining us just now, anywhere from seven to... forty-five are believed to be dead following the New York Police Department crackdown on protesters in Zuccotti Park. In all my years covering the news of this nation, I have never seen something to this extent. Never in my li-'

*sound of door slamming, shouts from control room*

'What's going on? Who are-'

'New York Police! By order of the emergency government, we have been empowered to take control of this broadcast. Now, step aside, sir.'

'You can't be serious. We have the-'

'Right now, sir, you have the right to keep quiet. We also have been empowered to prosecute anyone who fails to comply with this order.'

'This is to the audience-we will fight this. The Constitution of the United States still holds. John Chancellor, signing off for now.'"

-NBC Nightly News, April 19th, 1981

zuccottimassacre.png

"Along with several of my colleagues and associates gathered here, I am beginning a government-in-exile. We cannot abide by 'Chairman' Haig's illegal usurpation of executive power. We won't simply stand by as he turns the country we love and cherish into a police state. And I believe that many Americans will stand with us."

-Former President Jimmy Carter, at a press conference in Ottawa, Canada, April 21st, 1981

age.png

"UNITED STATES CLOSES AMBASSADOR BRIDGE; HAIG CLAIMS 'SECURITY FIRST"

-Toronto Star, May 7th, 1981

"Haig's a fucking loon. The man's gonna put us at war with Canada! Something's gotta be done."

-Oliver North, allegedly, to John Poindexter, shortly after the closing of the Canadian border

"This is Dan Rather, reporting to you live from Washington D.C. Just moments ago, we heard reports of gunfire in and around the White House, and at the Old Executive Office Building. We are unsure what is going on, but CBS will, to the best of our ability, cover the situation as it develops."

-Dan Rather, CBS breaking news coverage, June 20th, 1981

Hmm, so who, exactly is backing Haig?

Also, was Bush I assassinated also, or "disappeared" or what?

Haig gained the support of a significant portion of the military and national security establishment. As to Bush, he was killed on the tarmac at Dallas/Fort Worth.

Geon

Donor
Haig gained the support of a significant portion of the military and national security establishment. As to Bush, he was killed on the tarmac at Dallas/Fort Worth.

Wayside - just a brief comment and critique: First, I can't see too much of the military falling in with Haig. Reagan was well-liked by the military and I suspect the military would not put up long with any sort of attempted coup. Secondly, it might have been better to put the fact that Bush was killed somehow into the actual TL rather then just tell it here.

One possible entry:

"We have just received news that Vice President Bush has been shot while boarding Air Force 2 in order to return to Washington for the present crisis. As of yet there is no word on his condition."
Just a suggestion.

Wayside - just a brief critique - it might have been better to put the fact that Bush was killed somehow into the actual TL rather then just tell it here.

One possible entry:

"We have just received news that Vice President Bush has been shot while boarding Air Force 2 in order to return to Washington for the present crisis. As of yet there is no word on his condition."
Just a suggestion.

Good call, thanks.

PART THREE: THE CENTER CANNOT HOLD
"This is Chairman Oliver North of the American Emergency Government. At approximately 11:18 a.m. this morning, I led an assault against the dangerous and unstable leadership of Alexander Haig. Haig is dead, and I have assumed leadership of the country. Chairman Haig would have brought us to war with our northern neighbor, Canada. They are not our enemies. Rather, our enemies are the men in Moscow who scheme against our values, and against our very nation."

-Oliver North, in an address from the Oval Office, June 20th, 1981

haigdeath-png.278156

"Do you sons of bitches realize what you're doing?"

-Purported last words of Alexander Haig

haigtatorship-png.278157

"This must be a farce."

-Leonid Brezhnev, allegedly, while watching the North Address

"GOVERNOR BROWN DECLARES CALIFORNIA TO BE IN 'STATE OF ISOLATION'"

-Sacramento Bee, July 1st, 1981

"It is with a heavy heart that I am ordering our state closed against the federal government, but on this date so often associated with liberty, we must stand united against tyranny."

-Governor Hugh Carey of New York, July 4th, 1981

"Mr. President, many have criticized you for declaring yourself the head of your government-in-exile. Senator Jesse Helms recently said that you were just, 'a failure of a leader who's taken exile as the opportunity to act out on his party's grudges.' What would you say to that?"

"I don't hold a grudge against the Republicans. President Reagan was elected democratically, and his murder is a tragedy by any standard-"

"Yes, but the senator accuses you of taking advantage-"

"I, I think that's unfair, frankly. Senator Helms makes me sound like a wannabe Democrat dictator. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are many Republicans serving in this government, and many Republicans have condemned the tyrannical regime that's holding our great country hostage."

"Would you involve Republicans in government if you became president again?"

"If I return to Washington, after the AEG regime is deposed, I will be a member of a committee that will govern the nation until the next election. There will be Democrats, there will be Republicans, there will be independents."

"What would you say to those who are concerned that this is a power grab?"

"That I am as committed to a brighter future-to a new morning in America-as they are."

-Interview between Jimmy Carter and David Frost, July 6th, 1981

OK, so we now have a three way civil war between North's guys*, Haig's loyalists, and Carter's guys, with at least two states declaring neutrality?

What happened to the actual legitimate President according to the line of succession, or did Haig get *checks*, err Tip O'Neil and Strom Thurmond also? And if he did get them, why didn't he just claim the Presidency?

*BTW, I'm curious as to the breakdown of who's working with whom.

OK, so we now have a three way civil war between North's guys*, Haig's loyalists, and Carter's guys, with at least two states declaring neutrality?

What happened to the actual legitimate President according to the line of succession, or did Haig get *checks*, err Tip O'Neil and Strom Thurmond also? And if he did get them, why didn't he just claim the Presidency?

*BTW, I'm curious as to the breakdown of who's working with whom.

1. California and New York (and more to come) are more or less temporarily seceding from the country, and aren't complying with any federal authorities. Less neutrality and more resistance.

2. I plan on posting a wikibox in a later installment that lists some of the major members of the AEG.

3. O'Neil is with Carter in Canada, and Thurmond has more or less fallen in line and is vocally supporting the AEG, although Congress obviously hasn't been meeting. Basically every other government figure falls into one of those two camps, although some are in hiding and are waiting to see what happens.

1. California and New York (and more to come) are more or less temporarily seceding from the country, and aren't complying with any federal authorities. Less neutrality and more resistance.
Gotcha.

Query: is NYC complying with the Governor's policy?
2. I plan on posting a wikibox in a later installment that lists some of the major members of the AEG.
Cool. Will said wikibox state whether they stayed loyal to Haig or backed North?

3. O'Neil is with Carter in Canada, and Thurmond has more or less fallen in line and is vocally supporting the AEG, although Congress obviously hasn't been meeting. Basically every other government figure falls into one of those two camps, although some are in hiding and are waiting to see what happens.
Gotcha.

Wait, so then why is Carter in charge and not the legitimate President?

Gotcha.

Query: is NYC complying with the Governor's policy?

Cool. Will said wikibox state whether they stayed loyal to Haig or backed North?

Gotcha.

Wait, so then why is Carter in charge and not the legitimate President?

1. Private commerce (the stock market is taking a brutal beating, but it's still functional) is ongoing, but from a governmental perspective, it's in line with the rest of the state.
2. The members of the junta are loyal to whoever has more people with guns, who at the moment is North. The next installment will have some indication of how loyal they are, though.
3. It's a committee system, with each member having an equal vote on major decisions, but Carter is the public face of it. The president title is mostly honorary in this capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.