In Britannia Salutem

490 AD
Corinium

Cerdicus’ army was camped near Corinium. The march north from Venta had been plagued with difficulties. There had been a thaw and apart from the roads (which Cerdicus had his engineers examine as they were the match of anything left in Gallia) the ground had turned into soft mud which his army had churned up and was difficult to march through.

Added to which the Britannians were refusing to meet his army in a pitched battle. There were occasional skirmishes but they had hit his baggage train so hard and often that he had had to detach a good third of his troops to protect it and had also had to slow down his advance. Also his scouts rarely returned.

He was looking at a map of the area and planning his next move when he noticed his aide Geladius.

“What is it?”

“Venta has been taken by forces loyal to Amhar as have several other towns in the Lordship. Also bands of armed men have started to hit the rear of our baggage train which has not been attacked up to now. We are beginning to run out of supplies”

Cerdicus glowered

“And why have none of my generals told me this?”

Geladius did not answer. Cerdicus waved his arm irritably

“Because you do not bring bad news to the Augustus!

I thought that I had trained them better than that”

Geladius still said nothing.

Cerdicus shook his head

“No matter. If I place more troops to protect the baggage train then I weaken my advance force even more.”

Geladius coughed. Cerdicus sighed

“What else?”

“A force of Saxons has landed near Londinium and is marching up the Ermin Way. They are approaching Spinae”

“So some scouts do return!”

“Only from that direction and they are not reporting as frequently as they did probably due to the Saxons”

“How many Saxons?”

“About five hundred”

“Not that large a force but how did they get them there at this time of year? That’s twenty or so keels”

Geladius started to answer but Cerdicus cut him off

“What’s important is where they are not how they got there”

He looked irritably at the map

“They are sucking me north. They know that I need a pitched battle so that I can enforce my will and they are not giving me one. If matters continue as they are then I will run out of supplies and be at their mercy”

Cerdicus looked up to the heavens and swore softly.

“Time to make them fight on my terms rather than theirs, the question is how. My father is too good a tactician and strategist to fall for most things that I would try.

Call a meeting of the senior officers in an hour”

Geladius nodded and withdrew.

Once Cerdicus was sure that he was alone he grabbed a goblet raised it to the heavens then took a sip

“Congratulations Father, your reputation is intact. Your plan is working near perfectly, I would like to think that I would have come up with something similar if in your place. Now, how do I disrupt it?”

Cerdicus stood looking at the map. Then a smile began to play across his face

“Of course! It’s risky but not more than crossing the Mare Britannicum when I did. Time to roll those dice.”

Ramontxo

Donor
But if there is an (risky) answer and your father knows it (and knows you) then you may be walking into a trap...

490 AD
Deva

It had been a long and fractious meeting of the Britannian Lords. Nobody could understand what Cerdicus was doing with his army.

“It makes no military sense!” snarled Medraut

“Is he trying to lose to us?”

There were murmurs of agreement from most of the others present.

“Enough” stated Artos calmly.

The murmuring ceased

“Go and prepare your troops for battle. We march tomorrow”

“But where?” asked Caddo the Younger, Commander of Emrys’ army.

“All will be made plain before you leave” replied Artos.

“Now leave us”

Mumbling again, the Lords departed to make ready their troops. All that remained were Bedwyr, Ebissa and Caddo the Elder.

“They think that you are now infirm of mind as well as body” commented Ebissa

“And you, Old Friend?” asked Artos

Ebissa shrugged

“I do not understand what you are planning to do”

Ebissa chuckled

“I never did. I remember that skirmish at Badon Hill too well. You were outnumbered two to one and still won. I trust you Artos, that is all that matters”

Artos inclined his head. He turned to Bedwyr but saw Caddo the Elder smiling.

“What is it?” asked Artos

“I also do not understand your plan, but then I never was as good a strategist as you, My Lord. I rather think that my Grandfather, and possibly my father, would have understood what you are planning.”

Caddo paused

“But then my Grandfather was trained by the Romans as was Urien, who also might have understood”

Artos smiled wryly

“I never met your Grandfather except once as a very young boy, but you are right perhaps he and Urien would have understood”

Artos finally turned to Bedwyr

“Cerdicus’ plan remind you of anyone?”

“Sa” replied Bedwyr

“It is the sort of mad idea that we would have come up with when his age or younger”

Artos nodded

“It is and would work against most who would not have the imagination or experience that we have”

Artos sighed

“He really did not have much choice. He had to try something to bring us to battle or he would lose by running out of supplies”

He shook his head

“Even I would have waited until I was safely dead and buried if in his shoes. As to making the crossing in winter. Absolute brilliance”

“Unless the weather had turned. It does quickly at this time of year” replied Bedwyr.

“Sometimes you don’t win without rolling those dice”

“He didn’t have to”

Artos shrugged

“No, he didn’t. Well not as far as we know. Cerdicus has learnt well from Majorian, Guitolinus and perhaps myself. He would have had his reasons”

Artos paused

“Well, now we will just have to bring him to heel. Preferably without killing him. His empire will fall quickly without him. At least until one of his sons is old enough”

Artos raised a goblet

“To our victory and the hope that Cerdicus is as good as he thinks he is. He will need to be to salvage his army from what is going to happen”

490 AD
Venonis

Cerdicus cursed the Britannian weather. One moment it was raining heavily, the next it was bright sunshine and unseasonably warm, then the next the temperature dropped and it snowed. At the moment it was snowing. He was stood in what remained of the officers’ quarters in a long abandoned legionary fort at Venonis.

Patravis stood next to him glaring at the snow

“It’s almost as if the weather has joined the Britannian side in this!”

“Well, it is Britannian weather” quipped Geladius

Cerdicus shot Geladius a warning glance, tempers were becoming frayed. Patravis luckily just sighed

“So it is.

However, whether it is or not, it has wrecked the chances of your strategy working Augustus.”

Cerdicus shook his head

“Na, it has also hampered any Britannian attempts to counter it, not that they will have made any”

“Lord Artos is famous for unorthodox strategies and tactics. Will he not?”

“Na, unless he is prescient as well as supremely gifted. I will freely admit that he is the latter but not the former”

Patravis looked at Cerdicus who smiled wryly

“You think that this plan is a sign of insanity”

“Augustus knows my opinion of the plan. However, like Artos, you seem to have a knack of making unlikely things happen”

Patravis paused

“However one of you is going to lose their façade of invincibility. God willing it will be your father”

“God helps those who help themselves” snapped Cerdicus

“However, it will be my father who loses that façade and at his age it will matter less. He was the preeminent general and leader of his generation and Our Empire owes him a debt of gratitude. However I shall prevail, the torch is always passed on”

Patravis did not reply but looked at the weather

“The snow has stopped. I’ll get the troops ready to move”

“Sa, the faster we reach our destination the better” acknowledged Cerdicus.

“We will be able to hold there until Aegidius reaches us with the second fleet in the spring”

“Angles, Saxons and Geats allowing and the Britannians are now nearly as good sailors”

“Sa, but they will be expecting him to land on the south coast and will have planned accordingly”

Patravis nodded

“Remember what Polonius said before we left Venta”

“I have no intention of doing so” replied Cerdicus

“However they cannot be in two places at once!”

With that they left the building and rejoined their troops.

490 AD
An old Roman Fort in South Elmet

It was raining again. It was a particularly Britannian type of rain. It was not heavy but still managed to soak everything and the ground was turning muddy. Cerdicus was thankful that the Britannians had maintained their roads to such a high standard.

He turned in his saddle and looked to the east. Was it his imagination or was it brightening. He almost thought that he could see a break in the clouds. Just then a mud splattered messenger appeared. Geladius took the message. Even in the poor light Cerdicus could see Geladius turn pale.

“Geladius?”

“Augustus, the Britannians have attacked the baggage train in full force.”

Cerdicus was shocked

“In this weather?”

“So it would seem Augustus”

Cerdicus reined in his horse

“There’s more!”

Geladius nodded

“They have captured it and most of the troops that were guarding it.”

Cerdicus raised his eyes to the heavens and swore long under his breath. He pulled himself together and looked at Geladius

“Who commanded?”

“It was Gaius Sixtus”

“I know who commanded our troops! Who commanded the Britannians?”

“The report says that the Britannians fought under the banner of Deva”

Cerdicus nodded

“So it was Caddo the Younger. It would seem that his family’s reputation is well deserved.

How far behind are those troops now?”

“Two days Augustus, in this weather”

Cerdicus swung around in his saddle glaring at the rain

“Somewhere out there is my Father and the other Britannian Lords. Where exactly are we?”

“An old abandoned Roman Fort just under day from what the Romans called Lagentium. Augustus”

Geladius paused

“We can take it easily Augustus, the walls have been repaired but they are not strong and it would not need siege engines to force the gates”

“Just as well as we did not bring any and the baggage train is lost”

Cerdicus shook his head

“Na, we would just be bottled up”

Cerdicus thought for a moment.

“Send out the orders, we will go and bring those Britannian troops to battle”

He smiled wryly

“We know where they are unlike my father”

Cerdicus paused

“Well?”

“At once Augustus”

When Geladius was out of sight, Cerdicus smiled broadly

“Well, you have outthought me Father. How you did so is beyond me but there it is. No use crying over spilt milk.

Now to plan a battle on slightly unfavourable terms”

Ramontxo

Donor
"We know where they are unlike my father"
Why I suspect Artos does know where the captured baggage train is?
I love the smell of ambush in the morning...

"We know where they are unlike my father"
Why I suspect Artos does know where the captured baggage train is?
I love the smell of ambush in the morning...
I actually meant that Cerdicus doesn't know where his father is. Artos definitely knows where the baggage train is.
Whatever makes you think that there is going to be an ambush:evilsmile:

Ramontxo

Donor
I actually meant that Cerdicus doesn't know where his father is. Artos definitely knows where the baggage train is.
Whatever makes you think that there is going to be an ambush:evilsmile:
Being perfidious by nature am sensing a lost cousin in the neighbourhood...

Perfidious? Moi?:evilsmile:
How could you think such a thing?;)
I'm very loyal, well at least to the Angles in Lindsey ITTL and they still get subsumed by the Ostangles in the late 6th Century ITTL.

Ramontxo

Donor
Perfidious? Moi?:evilsmile:
How could you think such a thing?;)
I'm very loyal, well at least to the Angles in Lindsey ITTL and they still get subsumed by the Ostangles in the late 6th Century ITTL.
I am sure other Britishers will be able to follow you. I myself get lost between Angles, Ostangles and Rectangles.
But still enjoying this a lot. Thanks for your work

I am sure other Britishers will be able to follow you. I myself get lost between Angles, Ostangles and Rectangles.
But still enjoying this a lot. Thanks for your work
The Rectangles invade at the same time as the Vikingso_O
They are considered a bit square in their outlook.
Sorry!
More seriously, I am glad that you are enjoying this. The end is nigh but, without giving too much away, Artos will go out in a manner befitting the OTL legend.

Ramontxo

Donor
The Rectangles invade at the same time as the Vikingso_O
They are considered a bit square in their outlook.
Sorry!
More seriously, I am glad that you are enjoying this. The end is nigh but, without giving too much away, Artos will go out in a manner befitting the OTL legend.

490 AD
Somewhere near Danum

“Victory, Augustus” announced Patravis

“The Britannians have withdrawn”

Patravis paused

“In remarkably good order.”

Cerdicus nodded

“Caddo the Younger has enhanced his reputation today”

Patravis frowned

“He lost the battle Augustus”

Cerdicus looked at Patravis and shook his head

“He never intended to do so. Once battle was engaged, he withdrew troops as and when he was able to do so safely. Just what has my father planned?”

Patravis’ frown deepened

“Our morale has been boosted by the recovery of the Baggage Train and this victory”

“That it has” agreed Cerdicus

He spun round

“Form up the troops into battle formation!”

“Augustus?” queried Patravis

Cerdicus looked at him as buccina sounded all around them. He smiled grimly

“Oh, well planned indeed Father!”

Patravis was hurrying away to have the troops form up. However it was more difficult than it should have been as the troops had already started to celebrate their victory. Indeed several amphorae of wine had already been broached.

That being said the troops did start to function more efficiently when the Britannian armies arrived. Much to Patravis’ bewilderment, the Britannians just formed up, they did not attack.

Cerdicus just shrugged and waited. After all, the more time they waited the better organised his troops would be. After a while there was cheering from the Britannian ranks. A cry went up, it drifted towards Cerdicus

“Artos, Artos, Artos”

A white stallion emerged from the behind the Britannian lines and began to make its way towards his. Cerdicus signalled and his horse was brought. He mounted and went to meet the oncoming rider. As he got closer he began to frown, there was something about the way that the rider was sitting that didn’t seem quite right.

He pulled up and the other also did so albeit with some difficulty.

“Father” acknowledged Cerdicus

“Augustus” replied Artos.

Cerdicus was shocked, Artos was as white as a sheet, obviously grimacing in pain and had been tied to his horse.

“You should not be here Father. You are obviously not well”

Artos managed a shaky grin

“Time is catching up with me it would seem”

With an effort that was obvious to Cerdicus but not his troops Artos pulled himself straighter

“However, I wanted to give you a chance. You can form up your troops and make your way back to any port. No sword will be lifted against you if you do this.”

Artos shook his head

“Although you have carried yourself well this past few months, I do not understand why you are here. Even I would have waited until I was dead before making a move on Britannia although crossing when you did was quite brilliant and caught us unawares.

However, consider, you are surrounded. Even if you manage to pull your army out in relatively good order, and I accept, given your past history, that you are a more than good enough leader to do so, you have no ships left with which to evacuate them.

There would be no pitched battle after this one. You would be harried by hit and run strikes until finally defeated. Even my death would not stop this from happening.

Take a good luck at the banners. Not all the Lords, nor their troops are here. They are taking up positions to carry out what I have just described. Even if you should still win through you will not have many troops left and your Empire would be in turmoil. I would think that at least the Franks, Burgundians and Visigoths would seize their chance and I would think that the Ostrogoths would do likewise.

Romulus could not come to your aid, he has enough problems pacifying Italia. Antheleminus is too far away and has his eyes to the East to the mess that Persia has become.”

Artos grimaced

“As I said you’re being here makes no sense. However you are not stupid, so you have your reasons”

Cerdicus said nothing but his eyes flickered back to his lines. Artos just nodded

“Are they here? Na, of course they are. I did not think that your position was that precarious”

“Enough gold will buy anybody’s loyalty” replied Cerdicus

“So you need a battle to make sure that their deaths can be spun as being heroes of your empire”

Artos’ face darkened

“You would waste the lives of your soldiers to achieve such an aim? Guitolinus must be spinning in his grave. He would have told you that there were better ways”

Cerdicus inclined his head

“Perhaps there are. However there is another factor in play”

Artos looked angrier

“Your ego! The need to prove yourself against me, you are better than that!”

Cerdicus shrugged

“It would seem not. My name will always be overshadowed by yours unless I can defeat you”

“Julius Caesar survived two failed attempts on this island, I rather think that you will survive one”

“Circumstances, Father, circumstances”

Cerdicus looked at the Britannian lines

“However, although the situation is precarious, there are always possibilities. I will think on what you have said. You will know my response within the hour”

Cerdicus looked at Artos

“Do you need my help to return?”

Artos grimaced

“Na”

With some difficulty Artos turned his horse and rode away. Cerdicus did likewise.

490 AD
Somewhere near Danum

Cerdicus sat and thought hard. He had no doubt that he could win any pitched battle with the Britannians but win hard enough to be able to dictate terms he had to admit that it was unlikely. There were other Britannian armies in the field and they would employ the tactics that his father had told him.

Hit and run, bleed his army, make what remained run with its tail between its legs. However it would seem to the outside world that that was just what had happened if he just soldiered arms and retreated. His father was correct it would be seen as a sign of weakness on his part and the vultures would circle. He snorted, as he had intimated to Artos, the Franks, Visigoths, Burgundians and even the Ostrogoths would be the least of his problems. There were several in his entourage who already thought that they would be a better choice to be Augustus. A defeat would only further encourage such thoughts.

This campaign had been a mistake! He snorted again, hindsight was always made with perfect vision. He should have waited for Artos to die and the Britannian Lords start squabbling between themselves, arguments blown out of proportion by his agents. He looked out at the Britannians and smiled wryly. His father had outthought him, and that was no disgrace given his reputation and ability, by not fighting until he had been pulled too far north.

However, self-recrimination was not going to save the day. What would either his father or adoptive father have done if they had found themselves in this situation? Majorian had and had been killed in battle. As far as he knew Artos had never found himself in this situation.

He stared out at the Britannian lines again. Patravis rode up to him

“Your orders Augustus?”

Cerdicus looked at him, Patravis had been one of those most vocal in their support of the Britannian Campaign and Cerdicus knew exactly why. Patravis, himself, had no designs on the purple, however his brother in law, a collateral relative of Avitus most certainly did. However said brother in law would need Patravis’ influence within the army to achieve his goal. Despite his questionable loyalty to Cerdicus, Patravis was a good General and loved by those under his command. Therefore Patravis was one with whom Cerdicus had to remove from the equation.

“You, will lead most of the troops back south and then onto a port. I will remain here with what remains and act as a screening force”

Patravis looked long and hard at him as he was no fool.

“Would it not be better if our roles were reversed? I can beat whatever rabble the Britannians send with my legion”

Cerdicus raised an eyebrow

“Your legion? Anyway whatever the Britannians are or are not, a rabble is not how I would describe them”

“Augustus, they may be moderately well trained but they have no recent combat experience”

“Their leaders have”

Patravis snorted

“Old men who have become over cautious with age”

Cerdicus said nothing but appeared to be considering what Patravis had said

“Na, it would be said that I was running away and sacrificing you to stymy your brother in law’s ambitions”

Patravis was good, Cerdicus had to admit that. He showed no reaction to what Cerdicus had just said, on the other hand nor did he deny it. Which, Cerdicus admitted to himself, was sound, as Patravis knew that he would not be believed whatever his protestations.

“You would still trust me with your army Augustus?”

“Sa, you are a good general and will do your best to get them home safely”

“Augustus honours me”

Patravis looked him in the eye

“I will not let them down”

Cerdicus nodded

“I know, now onto the disposition of the troops”