In at the Death Cover Unveiled

WW2 era tank crawling over the remains of the Statue of Liberty...which wasn't destroyed in the books and indeed doesn't even EXIST TL 191...right. :rolleyes:

Well, it's not called the Statue of Liberty, but there is a similar statue in its place... although it holds up a sword rather than a torch.

I believe Birmingham might be the target as it is the major industrial center of the South and not too close to any US soldiers for fear of radiation (scratching out Atlanta, Richmond, etc)

It would take the first bomb going off to allow people to realize that radiation is a very bad thing. I believe that in 1944-45, most military commanders with no connection to the Manhattan Project would assume at first that the bomb is just a bomb with a bigger explosion.

Actually, Germany is likely to get the bomb first. Their atomic project is further along (no loss of Einstein and other key scientists) and last book they threatened the Allies (should we call them the Allies? Britain/France/Russia et al) with "unprecedented destruction", so likely London or Moscow will get the bomb first.

I had always figured that the Germans would get the bomb first and use it, and the war in North America ends before the USA would get to use its first bomb. However it never hurts to discuss the alternative that the USA does get to drop it on a Rebel city.

If the bomb is dropped on a Union or Rebel city, then North America will forever be changed, I can tell you. The Confederacy will turn even more bad.

"If the bomb is dropped on a Union or Rebel city, then North America will forever be changed, I can tell you. The Confederacy will turn even more bad."

Just like how dropping the bomb on two Japanese cities turned that country into a deserted wasteland for decades after the war? Come on, we're talking about atomic bombs developed in 1943-44 -- not the massive supercharged weapons of the middle Cold War era.

Well, hafta keep my eye open for this final instlament next time I'm at the bookshop. Wonder what else will be included- how about scenes of vengeful black guerillas and Camp Determination concentration camp survivors, and maybe even sickened horrified US soldiers under Morrell and Dowling, rounding up and summarily executing Freedom Party guards a la OTL Dachau ?

I'm pretty sure that U.S. soldiers shooting down camp guards is a given. They already show indifference toward Confederate civilians committing suicide after being shown the mass graves.

I doubt that Morrell, where he's at by Atlanta, will run into the camps. The death camps were located in Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas -- far to the west. In fact, they're in locations that would be the last to be touched by U.S. soldiers by where they're presently at, so the Snake could take joy in the notion that as he's preparing to go down blazing, his revenge on the blacks will go on to the final moments of the war.

"No, I mean socially. The Confederates will hate the USA even more."

Maybe. Maybe instead -- after a hefty dosage of Reconstruction, of course -- they'll learn to accept the USA for what it is, and realize that its a hell of a lot better than the idea of the "decent white folks" country that their mad president had desired.

Tuesday July 31, 2007, to be exact. If you're lucky, some bookstores will put the book out early if they're not in boxes marked for the release date. I got Return Engagement 5 days before it was supposed to be released.

Actually, Germany is likely to get the bomb first. Their atomic project is further along (no loss of Einstein and other key scientists) and last book they threatened the Allies (should we call them the Allies? Britain/France/Russia et al) with "unprecedented destruction", so likely London or Moscow will get the bomb first.

Please remember that in this timeline, the capital of Russia is Petrograd, not Moscow.

I see the German bomb being used on the U.K., not on the Continent. Destroy Southampton or Bristol; maybe try to detonate in a submarine at Scapa Flow the way the Germans destroyed Rome in Worldwar.

Last edited:
"Can a new kind of bomb save the Confederate States from defeat at the eleventh hour? "

Sounds like almost the same question that the publishers peddled for The Grapple. In other words: probably means nothing. In the publisher's copy of that book, it was mentioned that "Northern paratroopers swarmed the Confederate capital."

Possible. The USA should be able to figure out that destroying an entire Confederate army will do much more harm to the CSA than capturing a city. Pittsburgh saw the annihilation of the Army of Kentucky; what would happen if the Army of Georgia was destroyed with a tactically-deployed u-bomb? I think the war would end that much faster.