Impact of a surviving Majapahit

One, as far as I know, is that Majapahit would give the Portuguese their ports and the Portuguese would be able to use them in Prosetylization until Japan would decide to go Sakoku as IOTL, I see the Spanish gaining Borneo ITTL and not gaining any part of Luzon as it would remain as trading part of Majapahit with Ryukyu with Japan and preventing the Sack of Tondo would mean that the trade between Japan/Ryukyu/Korea and the Malay world and Sundas would not be blockaded by the Bruneians so no Sack of Tondo means Majapahit might survive for centuries, I think Luzon is as important to Majapahit as North Africa is to the Roman Empire, I really see a Portuguese/Spanish allied Majapahit allowing the Spanish to colonize the Visayas and Mindanao and aiding them in the colonization of Borneo and Sulu to eliminate the Bruneians.

Last edited:
Majapahit not collapsing wouldn't prevent the northern coast of Java to convert to Islam, as the Islamization process starts before the collapse. It would probably delay the Islamization of the interior through, and the spread of Islam to other islands. Plus most of the masses aren't Hindu to beginwith, they follow a weird mixture of Hindu-Buddho-animism, which in OTL simply add -Islam on the gado gado of the syncretism that Dutch ethnographer simply calls Abangan Muslims

The best way to avoid Majapahit collapse would be preventing Paregreg War. The emergence of the Eastern Court has began since before Hayam Wuruk dies (1376 at the very least), which relations begin to grew worse in subsequent times and set the stage for Majapahit's slow death. So the PoD IMO should be earlier than 1376.

Even if Majapahit did survive, everything outside of Java-Madura-Bali isn't particularly important to Trowulan. Majapahit was running on Mandala system, which translate to bullying city states outside of Java to give tribute to the metropole and leave them alone. A certain Adityawarman even claimed the title of great king of kings (Maharajadiraja) and Majapahit still counted him as their tributary.

I don't know how Tondo is important to Majapahit. Most of their wealth came from controlling Molucca tributaries and other Eastern Islands while also controlling Strait of Malacca. As far as I knew, the fall of Majapahit isn't connected to Tondo.

For treaty ports, the most famous one in Java, Sunda Kalapa, was given to Portuguese as a gift by the King of Sunda as part of "fuck Muslims" pact between Portuguese and Hindu throne of Sunda, which was threatened by Majapahit mk2 that we usually calls Demak Sultanate. If Majapahit doesn't face similar threat, Java wouldn't be so inclined to gave any. The vassal kings of outer islands, on the other hands, might be more willing

Last edited:
If the Majapahit remained a strong, powerful empire in the region, it may curve European colonialism. If Majapahit controls a majority of Nusantara, specifically the islands that produced spices, Europeans, like the Portuguese and the Dutch, would either have to trade agreements with Majapahit, or go to war and take small pieces of Majapahit, like what they did with India. If the latter is the case, then one European power, later would take the whole Archipelago.

I don't know how Tondo is important to Majapahit. Most of their wealth came from controlling Molucca tributaries and other Eastern Islands while also controlling Strait of Malacca. As far as I knew, the fall of Majapahit isn't connected to Tondo.
It is because of the Japanese and Chinese trade to Majapahit pass through there, I think that is the importance of Luzon or rather Selurong to Majapahit and keeping it free of Bruneian threats would be a priority of Majapahit.

If the Majapahit remained a strong, powerful empire in the region, it may curve European colonialism. If Majapahit controls a majority of Nusantara, specifically the islands that produced spices, Europeans, like the Portuguese and the Dutch, would either have to trade agreements with Majapahit, or go to war and take small pieces of Majapahit, like what they did with India. If the latter is the case, then one European power, later would take the whole Archipelago.
I think an alliance with the Portuguese/Spanish against the Muslims can help them, the Portuguese allied with the last Majapahit Emperor against Demak.

It is because of the Japanese and Chinese trade to Majapahit pass through there, I think that is the importance of Luzon or rather Selurong to Majapahit and keeping it free of Bruneian threats would be a priority of Majapahit.
The reason why the ports of North Java is very succesfull is because they acts as conduit between Molucca and Malacca Straits. Majapahit prosperity relies on that. A direct Molucca - China trade through Tondo would deprieve Java of it's power. And anyway trade is only half of Java's economic life, the interior is very fertile.

Was Tondo ever a Majapahit vassal tho? All I found was that they repelled Majapahit invasion in 1365

the Portuguese allied with the last Majapahit Emperor against Demak.
It's Sunda, not Majapahit. By the time Demak appears they're doomed anyway

The reason why the ports of North Java is very succesfull is because they acts as conduit between Molucca and Malacca Straits. Majapahit prosperity relies on that. A direct Molucca - China trade through Tondo would deprieve Java of it's power. And anyway trade is only half of Java's economic life, the interior is very fertile.

Was Tondo ever a Majapahit vassal tho? All I found was that they repelled Majapahit invasion in 1365

It's Sunda, not Majapahit. By the time Demak appears they're doomed anyway
The Majapahit Invasion of Tondo is fake and there is no Tondo Kingdom but rather Luzon's chiefdoms are vassals of Majapahit since the 1300s.