I'm trying to find cutaway drawings of the Grumman XP-50.

I'm posting this message here because of the large number of WW2 aviation knowledgeable members here. I'm trying to find X-Ray or cutaway views/ drawings of the XP-50. That was Grumman's modified version of the XF5F redesigned for the Air Force. Mainly I want to see how and where exactly they fitted the turbochargers in those stubby engine nacelles.

So if anyone knows of a website featuring XP-50 cutaway drawings or could post an image from a book or magazine that would be great.

Last edited:
I'd not have high hopes on finding that.
Unfortunately, that is true for a lot of interesting aircraft - Fw-187, He-100, Ro.58 and whole host of Italian fighter prototypes, Curtiss SC fighter ( interesting due to the use of closely-coupled turbo with air-cooled turbine blades; an existing cutaway is very uninformative), Curtiss P-60 series, XB-28...

I'd not have high hopes on finding that.
Unfortunately, that is true for a lot of interesting aircraft - Fw-187, He-100, Ro.58 and whole host of Italian fighter prototypes, Curtiss SC fighter ( interesting due to the use of closely-coupled turbo with air-cooled turbine blades; an existing cutaway is very uninformative), Curtiss P-60 series, XB-28...
Yeah, that's what I thought. I've looked around on the net a fair bit. Even the 3-D drawings of the XP-50 lack detail.

Grumman using turbocharged Wright R-1820s in their XP-50 is not in itself a puzzle. They were used in B-17s by the thousands. What I'm puzzled by looking at the photographs of the XP-50 is where the stuck all the plumbing, the turbocharger and the intercooler. What I can see from what photographs I've found doesn't reveal much. Heck, I'm not sure where they stuck oil cooler. Good close-up photos of the engine nacelles from all angles would help.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I've looked around on the net a fair bit. Even the 3-D drawings of the XP-50 lack detail.

Grumman using turbocharged Wright R-1820s in their XP-50 is not in itself a puzzle. They were used in B-17s by the thousands. What I'm puzzled by looking at the photographs of the XP-50 is where the stuck all the plumbing, the turbocharger and the intercooler. What I can see from what photographs I've found doesn't reveal much. Heck, I'm not sure where they stuck oil cooler. Good close-up photos of the engine nacelles from all angles would help.
One wonders whether a querry towards, nowadays, Northrop-Grumman would've been worth?

Like this one?

4854efee2f13bd8d6ae66a37b7c5a0ca.jpg

Driftless

Donor
For the engine (and stuff) layout, might it be similar to the Grumman S2 Tracker? Same manufacturers, roughly similar size, some carryover on design principles ? Probably no drawings in the public domain for that one either, though