I'm reading The War in 2020...

MacCaulay

Banned
...and I've got to admit, I don't know if everyone who knocks it has actually read it or remembers it correctly if they have.

The book seems to be less a single narrative than a group of short character studies set around a single world that contains the same characters: similar in many ways to the film Southland Tales.

But I can honestly say that Ralph Peters manages to outdo some of the amazing heights he achieved in Red Army, as far as characterization. I always felt that the single best written scene in technothriller history was in Red Army, when one of the Soviet soldiers has a mental breakdown in the middle of West German department store, pulls off his uniform, and tries to dress like a civilian in order to defect from the army before one of his comrades finds him. What was amazing about that scene was that I remembered it as being 10 or 11 pages, but in reality it was only two or three at most: Ralph Peters is that good at piling narrative into tight spaces.

And in War in 2020, it's almost like he's taken the straight up war fiction that he worked with such amazing abilities on before and upped the ante by turning it into an art movie: the first chapter, about a US Army cavalry officer's lone trip through plague ravaged Zaire after having his helicopter shot down, could probably have filled an entire book. But it's almost as if Peters didn't want to spread out what he had and decided instead to stab you in the gut with these eerie images of women in bright red masks to hide their scars.

His introduction to the state of the (still existent) USSR, through the eyes of a woman undergoing an abortion, is a really masterful, dark way to get the reader directly into what the Soviet Union is like in this world, as well as the character we are looking through the eyes of.
She has cheated on her husband in the army with a civil service worker, who has paid for the procedure, and walks out of the clinic towards a long line to wait. For what? She doesn't know what will be at the front of the line: she only knows that that's where the food is and that's where she needs to be.
The message is clear within a few pages: this is a nation that doesn't feel like it has a future, and is turning it's back on it's military to look at other more pressing issues. Some writers could just say this outright, but Ralph Peters doesn't: he hits you in the gut and makes you feel it. That's why I like him so much.

Me personally, I think the book is an amazing piece of writing that's very misunderstood.

I forgot how good a book that was. It is interesting how hindsight is 20/20, because when the book was written the Japanese was economy was so strong and everybody thought it would not end.

MacCaulay

Banned
Personally I think the railgun-mounted V-22s were very very underappreciated.:D

I think in many ways the book was mismarketed: there was this fucking Osprey on the cover over the foil words "The War in 2020," so of course people were expecting a plot that was just short of containing the words "Hark! Lo comes the Fourth Lord Robot of Zarthon with his deathray!", then when they got a story about a guy trudging alone by himself through a plague ravaged Africa the only thing they could say was "The South African army didnt have enuf lift capacitie to invade Zaiaire! lol"

I forgot how good a book that was. It is interesting how hindsight is 20/20, because when the book was written the Japanese was economy was so strong and everybody thought it would not end.

There are a lot of reviews that mention this undercurrent of racism towards the "enemies" in the book, but in my opinion Ralph Peters simply writes with too much empathy to be capable of creating cardboard villains unless they are there to provide a literary purpose, like the Japanese were. In many ways, they were representative of what we all knew were coming: the new economies that would be rising up in the 21st Century to challenge the supremacy of the US and Soviet Union.

... then when they got a story about a guy trudging alone by himself through a plague ravaged Africa the only thing they could say was "The South African army didnt have enuf lift capacitie to invade Zaiaire! lol".

But those South Africans had JAPANESE lasers, man! Can't go wrong with those.:D

PipBoy2999

Banned
I remember that book. I loved it. Funny part was, I had just finished it when, during the LA Riots, I was called up and sent into LA with the military to restore order. Shades of foreshadowing. War in 2020 and Red Army are two of my favorite military thrillers. Another under appreciated work was Vortex by Larry Bond

MacCaulay

Banned
I remember that book. I loved it. Funny part was, I had just finished it when, during the LA Riots, I was called up and sent into LA with the military to restore order. Shades of foreshadowing. War in 2020 and Red Army are two of my favorite military thrillers. Another under appreciated work was Vortex by Larry Bond

In my opinion (and plenty of others on the board, I believe) Vortex might be the best techno-thriller ever written. Period.

The War in 2020 sucked period, couldn't even bring myself to finish it. Perhaps it was beacuse of the bigoted attitude to South Africans in the book, one phrase still sticks with me: "their mud like accents", what does that even mean?

And the fact that he nukes Pretoria in the book, also bleaks me out, cause my brother and two of my best friends live there :(

That said, Vortex is amazing, one of the best books I have ever read. And you could see Larry Bond had actually done his research into South Africa and South Africans.

In my opinion (and plenty of others on the board, I believe) Vortex might be the best techno-thriller ever written. Period.

I personally thought Red Phoenix topped it off. Second Korean War (no, no, I don't wanna hear anything about it being a Continuation semantic!:p), the "Good Guys" actually having to fight for their lives... and last but not lest, some of the battle scenes actually make you feel the heat. I'm talking about that Hill 1-whatisname part where the Norks were overruning all over, and this average American soldier who was the last survivor of his unit had to brave hostile territory on his lonesome. Now that was really good war thriller.

Last edited:
I liked "War in 2020." But, yeah, it was mismarketed. The impression the book gave based on cover and where it was placed was turgid technothriller with space orbital hops featuring guys whose ammo never runs out and villains who grab onto the idiot ball and never let go. It was actually a well written tale, but a product of its time. Of course we all thought Japan was on the rise, their GDP was good, and they were experiencing a cultural rebirth. If the same book was written today, it'd shoehorn the Chinese into that role. Just one of those things.

The idea that Russia collapsed back into a military dictatorship is not impossible to picture, given the neo-Stalinism Commissar Putin-poo brought to the Russian Federation.

By the far, the strangest and interesting idea in the book to me was the self-preserving AI capable of feeling some sort of electronic pain. There was a scene where aimless American in Russia is assigned by his corporate handlers (and spooks, I think) to question an enemy PC captured by the armed forces. He is is able to use harsh interrogation methods to make it spill the secrets.

As for the alleged racism... I didn't see it. It was more nationalistic than anything. United States goes soft, does not get how far it is behind the development of weapons and society and gets its ass handed to it, until it is able to shrug off the corrupt and the lazy (but not completely) and muster the courage to kick ass again, and regain its rightful place among the family of nations.

Peters often writes like that. I don't see racism there.

the most chilling part of the book had to be the super plague sweeping over the world... the break down of authority in the US was grim...