If the U.K. Separated church from state in the 1950s what would it mean for Northern Ireland for the rest of the 20th century?

Nothing

There was no established Church in Ireland, or Northern Ireland after 1922. Ireland/Northern Ireland had/has a different legal system to both England (incl Wales) and Scotland. In the latter country the established church is the Church of Scotland, a Presbyterian rather than Episcopalian, Church.

Northern Ireland Unionists are mostly members of Congregational rather than Episcopalian churches

I also have the impression that by the time of The Troubles, the issues had more to do with Catholics and protestants finding it unpleasant to live in close proximity to one another, rather than anyone being forced by law to submit to the rule of one faith or another.

Nothing

There was no established Church in Ireland, or Northern Ireland after 1922. Ireland/Northern Ireland had/has a different legal system to both England (incl Wales) and Scotland. In the latter country the established church is the Church of Scotland, a Presbyterian rather than Episcopalian, Church.

Northern Ireland Unionists are mostly members of Congregational rather than Episcopalian churches
but if England separated church from the state then that would mean the British authorities would have at least some different attitudes right?

but if England separated church from the state then that would mean the British authorities would have at least some different attitudes right?
In England? Maybe.

Towards Northern Ireland? No. It is a component of the UK and thus to be supported and defended. Until there is a majority there for reunification.

If you have a UK political class that is sufficiently secular to support disestabilishment, then they might also be a bit more pro-Catholic too, but I dont think the act of disestabilishment itself would change much itself. Even changing religious attitudes in the UK isn't going to have a huge effect on the Troubles, because it wasn't a religious conflict, even if the opposing sides were Protestant and Catholic.

If you have a UK political class that is sufficiently secular to support disestabilishment, then they might also be a bit more pro-Catholic too, but I dont think the act of disestabilishment itself would change much itself. Even changing religious attitudes in the UK isn't going to have a huge effect on the Troubles, because it wasn't a religious conflict, even if the opposing sides were Protestant and Catholic.
Historically Britain has been increasingly tolerant of Catholicism since the 1880s. Increasing numbers of upper and upper middle class conversions, removal of historic religious disabilities etc.

If you have a UK political class that is sufficiently secular to support disestabilishment, then they might also be a bit more pro-Catholic too,

Doubt it. In the 19C "anti-clerical" types tended to dislike Catholicism even more than Protestantism, esp after the Doctrine of Papal Infallibility was adopted.

it appears the OP is confusing the Church of Ireland with the extremist sects and cults that the militant unionists call their church ...

it appears the OP is confusing the Church of Ireland with the extremist sects and cults that the militant unionists call their church ...
TBF, most of the non-conformist churches in Northern Ireland are simply various forms of Presbyterian or Baptists. Not extremist per se but liable to be anti "Rome Rule".

TBF, most of the non-conformist churches in Northern Ireland are simply various forms of Presbyterian or Baptists. Not extremist per se but liable to be anti "Rome Rule".
when you are talking about the likes of the 'Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster' extremist is a mild term

Garrison

Donor
I'm not trolling. I thought England being a secular state would have ramifications throughout the UK
But first you would have to explain how this could happen in the 1950s. This was still a period of deference to authority and the monarchy. The consequences might be significant for Britain, but mainly because you are implying a POD that leads to a very different culture where separating church and state is a possibility.

But first you would have to explain how this could happen in the 1950s. This was still a period of deference to authority and the monarchy. The consequences might be significant for Britain, but mainly because you are implying a POD that leads to a very different culture where separating church and state is a possibility.
Maybe because the Queen (or then maybe it was king) isn't really the head of state anymore and just a figurehead they could just remove any taxes from going to the royal family and let them live off Anglican tithes. I don't see why not just separate after that

Maybe because the Queen (or then maybe it was king) isn't really the head of state anymore and just a figurehead they could just remove any taxes from going to the royal family and let them live off Anglican tithes. I don't see why not just separate after that
Tithes were abolished a lot earlier, and the Royal family wasn't supported from taxes anyway it was supported by a share of the revenue from the Crown Estates (with the rest of that revenue taken by the Treasury).