If Grant never runs for president in 1868, who else could run?

Zioneer

Banned
As the title says, if Ulysses Grant is unwilling or unable to run for president in 1868 (and 1872 for that matter), who would run in those elections instead? If Grant dies soon after the Civil War, or is unwilling to run for whatever reason, who would run instead, and what might their presidency look like?

Zioneer

Banned
Hannibal Hamlin or William Seward could be possible.

How would their hypothetical administration differ from Grant's?

Additionally, where there any Union generals besides Grant who could have had a good chance at running and winning?

How would their hypothetical administration differ from Grant's?

Probably little change. The course of Reconstruction is already pretty much settled by 1869, so any Republican POTUS will have to do much the same.

Additionally, where there any Union generals besides Grant who could have had a good chance at running and winning?

If Sherman wants it he can pretty certainly have it. Iirc the famous "If elected I will not serve" statement came many years later after he had seen what happened too Grant. Failing him maybe Sheridan.

Another possibility might be Admiral Farragut, though I've no idea if he ever showed any interest in politics.

Zioneer

Banned
Probably little change. The course of Reconstruction is already pretty much settled by 1869, so any Republican POTUS will have to do much the same.

If Sherman wants it he can pretty certainly have it. Iirc the famous "If elected I will not serve" statement came many years later after he had seen what happened too Grant. Failing him maybe Sheridan.

Another possibility might be Admiral Farragut, though I've no idea if he ever showed any interest in politics.

Hmm.. what about Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, the hero of the Round Top at Gettysberg?

Also, were there any generals who died in action that could be good AH presidents had they lived?

Hmm.. what about Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, the hero of the Round Top at Gettysberg?

Also, were there any generals who died in action that could be good AH presidents had they lived?

Perhaps John Sedgwick. But I don't know was he ever intrested about politics.