Iceberg does Less damage to the titanic

the iceberg struck the Titanic flooding 5 water tight compartments severly while a small hole was flooding the sixth slowly , but what would have happened had the iceberg only severely damaged 4 compartments and the fifth like OTL sixth had less damage and the flooding was slower could it survive or at least delay the sinking

That wouldn't change much. Perhaps more people could be saved but the ship still would go to bottom with horribly high numbers of victims. Since few chambers are filled by water it is good bye to the ship.

That wouldn't change much. Perhaps more people could be saved but the ship still would go to bottom with horribly high numbers of victims. Since few chambers are filled by water it is good bye to the ship.
But she can stay afloat with 4 and if the 5th one can be delayed if damage is minor like OTL sixth , could it be possible to delay the sinking maybe an 1 hour or 1 hour and half or a little more? on the one hand they only started launching life boats 1 hour in to the sinking if they have more time as you said maybe the lifeboats leave more full, still I forget how much it took Carpathia to arrive but maybe they they can arrive just as its the ship is sinking in this scenario.

Carpathia arrived at approximately 3:30 am. The Titanic had sunk more than an hour earlier.
was it 3:30 or 4 any way, In this case with one less compartment damaged can they delay the sinking for just long enough that the ship goes under right around when Carpathia arrives to the scene if so can she do anything to save the people in the water

was it 3:30 or 4 any way, In this case with one less compartment damaged can they delay the sinking for just long enough that the ship goes under right around when Carpathia arrives to the scene if so can she do anything to save the people in the water
Doubtful if the damage is still in the same pattern. Titanic's watertight design could have allowed for more compartments to be compromised, providing the damage wasn't continuous as was the case when she sank. With five breached compartments, (six were damaged in the event not counting potential damage to her bottom which was reported but couldn't be checked in the time available) the water is overflowing the doors into each rear compartment. She spent nearly an hour at almost the same angle once Boiler Room 5 flooded as the forward compartments filled to capacity. After that, the rate increased rapidly in the last 45 minutes to an hour.

Carpathia didn't arrive until well after 4. Another compartment to fill from scratch (say Boiler Room 5) would perhaps have bought a few minutes, but the effect is still the same. By the time she can reach the scene, most if not all are still dead, just for a shorter period of time.

What might help is attempting actual damage control. Surely they could have fothered the bottom with the hatch covers.
The damage allowed a water infill at a rate 15 times beyond Titanic's ability to pump it out. I can't believe that enough of the hull could have been repaired before the flooding became a foregone conclusion.

Now, if Californian had responded, or the damage was more evenly spread and some compartments forward were spared, then that's a different matter. Chances are if it were the former many more lives if not most or nearly all could have been saved. This in fact happened in a similar situation when the White Star Line ship Republic sank after colliding with another ship. Rescue vessels evacuated her before she sank.

The damage allowed a water infill at a rate 15 times beyond Titanic's ability to pump it out. I can't believe that enough of the hull could have been repaired before the flooding became a foregone conclusion.

The damage could not be repaired, but in any event, nothing was done. Titanic was not a warship, and probably didn't have nice stocks of damage control supplies, but sailors for centuries had stuffed things into holes in the side. Maybe they can keep the ship afloat, maybe they can buy time. Either way, it's worth a shot. I recall they kept steaming for a bit after striking, instead of immediately stopping and investigating, which can't have helped

Doubtful if the damage is still in the same pattern. Titanic's watertight design could have allowed for more compartments to be compromised, providing the damage wasn't continuous as was the case when she sank. With five breached compartments, (six were damaged in the event not counting potential damage to her bottom which was reported but couldn't be checked in the time available) the water is overflowing the doors into each rear compartment. She spent nearly an hour at almost the same angle once Boiler Room 5 flooded as the forward compartments filled to capacity. After that, the rate increased rapidly in the last 45 minutes to an hour.

Carpathia didn't arrive until well after 4. Another compartment to fill from scratch (say Boiler Room 5) would perhaps have bought a few minutes, but the effect is still the same. By the time she can reach the scene, most if not all are still dead, just for a shorter period of time.
Imaged the question of this scenario been that Titanic has the same OTL damage to 4 forward compartments and minor damages to the fifth like the OTL sixth damage so basically the same as the actual damage but with one less compartment damaged, so Boiler room 6 gets the damage boiler room 5 got and Boiler room 5 is intact, but since Im really not a nautical engineer Im quite surprised by you saying one less compartment not getting damaged would not have bought that much time, especially if the damage to boiler room 6 in this timeline would be no were near as bad.

Last edited:
Did they try do any damage control to stem the inflow of water? Such as stuffing bedding (pillows/blankets) into the holes in the hull
Would it have made a difference in the flooding buying time until Carpathia could reach the scene?

IIRC, the Titanic was designed to remain afloat if any 2 or 3 of its 16 watertight compartments were flooded - or the forward 4 - which actually exceeded the Maritime Regulations of the day.

But since the forward 5 were taking on water - with the 5th surpassing the ability of the pumps to counter - her fate was decided, as the watertight compartments, quite simply, were not really watertight, with the Atlantic spilling over where the watertight seals ended (E Deck) to flood each subsequent compartment in turn, pulling her under in about 160 minutes.

Based on the question, the question really comes down to how damaged is Compartment 5. If it's within the limits of the Pumps, then it is possible for Titanic (once other ships are nearby just in case) to limp to a suitable port for repairs before returning (without passengers) to Belfast for a proper overhaul.

But if (the far more likely scenario for me) the water comes in too fast, the Titanic is still doomed. Longer to sink perhaps, but sink she will. But maybe not before the Carpathia arrives to take on her passengers.

Did they try do any damage control to stem the inflow of water? Such as stuffing bedding (pillows/blankets) into the holes in the hull
I dont think you can really stuff anything soft into holes in ships that deep or large? Are the forces involved not very large....... we are talking maybe putting something large like a canvas hatch cover on the outside to get sucked in but pushing against the water would be next to impossible apart from maybe with hitting in wood in small holes but even then low down deep in the hull the flow in would be strong? She had a draught of 34 ft 7 in (10.5 m) so damage low down is going to be maybe 8m underwater?

I don't know enough about the design of the Titanic to counter anything Bahamut-255 says regarding what would need to happen to save or slow down the sinking.
But I think its a good idea to consider who likely could have been saved and what the timeline would need to be to save them. Many of the people who dove in the water died instantly and most by 20 minutes after sinking. A good portion of the 3rd class passengers were trapped below deck and were either dead or doomed unfortunately soon after impact.

If for instance the Carpathia arrives 1 hour before the Titanic goes beneath the waves instead of over an hour after. I suspect that hundreds of additional people could have been saved, but that the sinking still has a ton of casualties.

Those rescued who where not in our time line would be disportionately 1st and 2nd class men. I would suspect for instance for Jacob Astor to be among those rescued. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jacob_Astor_IV

I agree with the iceberg (as given voice by Bowen Yang).

While everybody's mad at what the iceberg did to that ship and those people, they always let the other culprit off scot free...THE WATER!!!

I dont think you can really stuff anything soft into holes in ships that deep or large? Are the forces involved not very large....... we are talking maybe putting something large like a canvas hatch cover on the outside to get sucked in but pushing against the water would be next to impossible apart from maybe with hitting in wood in small holes but even then low down deep in the hull the flow in would be strong? She had a draught of 34 ft 7 in (10.5 m) so damage low down is going to be maybe 8m underwater?

I assume the crew would know about driving wooden wedges into gaps in the plating to slow influx of water. As you mention, the pressure is strong, so it must first be reduced, by doing something like putting a canvas hatch cover over the gap from the outside. Else, no one will be able to. The water is cold, so men have to be rotated out of damage control, and into the warm boiler rooms to keep them alive.

So, in an ideal situation: After striking the berg, the ship is immediately stopped while damage is assessed. Passengers are roused, and instructed to be ready to abandon ship. Assessment shows that they should attempt damage control on compartment 5. They lower a canvas cover over the area, slowing water inflow enough that the pumps can keep up. When the compartment is pumped clear, more permanent control is affected. Wedges, bracing bulkheads, etc. Maybe she still sinks, but it takes longer. If she can stay afloat long enough for other ships to arrive, I imagine that they have portable pumps that can be set up to help, as well as talking passengers off. Presuming she isn't too far gone already. With compartment 5 controlled, they start work on the next forward, lowering another hatch cover, allowing the pumps to clear it and do the same.

Saving the ship is ideal. As was, they did nothing but pump, no attempt to slow inflow of water. Doing something might help, and cannot hurt. At the least, time is bought. At the most, the ship is bought.

The post Titanic rules had bulkheads raised, was this retrofiitted to existing ships or was it only for new build?

If retrofitted, what did the raised bulkheads cut into on Titanic sisters and how far did they go up. Brittanic was sunk in WW1 following a mine, some say torpedo, hit but as I understand it, a major cause of that was open portholes.

If only the forward five watertight compartments had been breached the Titanic would've stayed afloat a lot longer, just a few hours extra would not only ensure that more people got into the lifeboats but it would've meant the Carpathia would've arrived on seen before the Titanic took its final plunge but the Californian would've likely arrived too meaning a lot more people surviving.

As for the crew trying to plug the ruptures this is a non-starter as no one else here in the thread has taken into account just how cold the seawater was flooding in as it was in spring in the North Atlantic. The water seawater was 28F/-3C and without proper cold-water gear one does NOT last long in those temperatures plus there's the loss of manual dexterity when exposed to such cold temperatures.

Last edited:
there are a couple of what ifs surely:
  1. the NUMBER of compartments flooded
  2. the manner of the damage ( aka how big is the hole/how fast is the flooding)
  3. Damage control - could changes to items 1 and 2 coupled with robust damage control have saved the ship/delayed the sinking? (That is damage control INSDIE the ship. You cant go into the freezing water outside!)
  4. Rescue - could a nearby ship come to the aid of the Titanic IF items 1-3 were changed?

However, to me the bigger what of is:

No Mr Ismay we are not running through that ice field at full pelt. We are turning south away from the reported ice.
But Smith, the record. The record man. Think of the PR!
To hell with your record! I am in command of this ship not you and if you don't like that you can sack me when we get to New York. Good day to you Sir.