i do not know what thread to put this in so i will put it here

This may seem like a dumb question, but why did nations such as Canada and Australia choose to name their currency the Dollar and not the Pound? is this because they chose to tie their currency to the Dollar?

Er... our currencies are not tied and never have been. :confused:

AFAIK, we just chose dollar because we wanted a decimal currency like the States and not a... 240... currency... thing... like Britain. Possibly the same thing with Australia.

Probably the same reason the United States chose the Dollar. As Zyzzyva said, the nations wanted a decimal-based currency. The US Dollar is actually derived from the Spanish Dollar of the time, which was attractive because of it's relative stability and because it was seen as progressive to use a decimal system in currency, which, believe it or not, was rare at the time.

The extensive circulation of dollars in British North America and the fact that there was a severe shortage of pounds and the like throughout the early nineteenth century. The maritmes were the only place where British money was very widespread. Due as I recall to a half hearted effort on behalf of London to establish an Imperial currency in Nova Scotia, they eventually gave up somewhere in the 1830's as I recall. I don't know anything about Australia however so I can't answer that.