Hurrah! The Tsar Liberator Lives! Trial run.

Hello everbody, I have been a memeber of AH.com since last March but I have not done a TL yet. I am interested in doing about Alexander II suriving longer than OTL but before I commit I would like to gauge interest in such a TL and get feedback on this first segment.
Thanks in advance,
Patton
P.S. Please share your thoughts about the title.

April 12, 1881 Saint Petersburg Russia
His majesty Alexander II, Tsar of all the Russias, rode in his glided carriage with two sleighs full of his Cossack guards following close behind, the burdens of the entire empire heavy on his mind. Particularly troubling to Alexander today was the constitution that he was about to officially adopt in only two days time. Were his subjects, most of whom had been little more than slaves only twenty years ago, ready for a voice in government? They had to be, thought the Tsar, the radicals and revolutionaries had grown too bold. Even trying to kill me, their God anointed sovereign, was not beneath those savages. Yes reform was the only way forward, the only lasting effect of the crackdowns of the past had been to swell the revolutionaries ranks. A constitution and a parliament would let enough steam out of the boiling kettle that Russia had become without causing the whole thing to blow sky high. The Tsar had just noticed his carriage had turned onto Catharine Canal Street when his train of thought was interrupted by a deafening boom followed by piercing cries of men and horses that eerily reminded Alexander of his time at the front during the Russo-Turkish War. Alexander suddenly realized what must had happened, someone had thrown a bomb at his carriage. Do these fanatics have no shame! Still in shock, the Tsar stumbled out of his carriage unharmed much to the relief of his remaining guards. Acting quickly they make room for the Tsar on one of the rough wooden sleighs and set off to the safety of the Winter Palace but not before Alexander orders the other sleigh’s Cossacks to tend to the wounded. Much to his dismay as the sleigh he is on turns the corner Alexander hears two more earth shattering booms and he knows that more of his loyal guards have died[1]. As his new driver quickly drove him to the Winter Palace, Alexander thanked God for delivering him. But, Alexander knew that if he had met his end on that cold street, Russia would have been in the good hands of his eldest son and heir. His beloved son Nicholas would be ready to lead but still Alexander desired to accomplish more before his time on the throne was over.[2] As Alexander was thinking this, the sleigh had reached the palace. As Alexander dismounted Nicholas came out to see why his father had arrived on a Cassock sleigh instead of the Imperial carriage. But instead of answering the Tserarevich’s questions he simply embraced him and thanked God that they were both alive.

1 POD in OTL Alexander refused to leave without the wounded and ended being fatally wounded by another bomb.

2 POD in OTL Nicholas died of meningitis he got on a tour of Southern Europe in 1865 in this TL he never went on that trip and survives.

Last edited:
So you prevent Nicholas' death, but the same people still try to assinate the Tsar in the exact same manner? I'd say the butterflies would probably have something to say about that. In fact, there's no need to have him survive the assassination with a POD that far back. It would just never happen.

Still, seeing Alexander survive with better heirs than Alexander III and Nicholas II is interesting.

Last edited:
So you prevent Nicholas' death, but the same people still try to assinate the Tsar in the exact same manner? I'd say the butterflies would probably have something to say about that. In fact, there's no need to have him survive the assassination with a POD that far back. It would just never happen.

Still, seeing Alexander survive with better heirs than Alexander III and Nicholas II is interesting.

Thank you for the feedback. You are right Alexander would most likely be more liberal if Nicholas was still around. However,even when Alexander had reformed in the past that hadn't stopped revolutionaries in the past from taking shots at him. But, I do argee that the assassination wouldn't take place on the same day and in the same manner. Althrough I haven't
decided on who would have carried out this attempt in this TL yet ;).

Firstly assuming his survival then the biggest question is whether after a failed assasination attempt he goes ahead with the consitutional reform sitting on his desk that was torn up by his son Alexander III.
Whatever it offered it would not necessarily be as "liberal" as we might imagine as Alexander II still firmly believed in the autocracy and the rights of the Emperor to govern.
Nor is it going to satisfy the demands of the empire's minorities (in Poland and the baltic in particular) although he was more willing to offer the Finn's more.
A lot depends on how long he survives and whether further assasination attempts a) succeed and b) whether it derails any further attempts to liberalise the government of the empire.
A surviving Nixa (Grand Duke Nicholas Alexandrovitch) is also interesting unlike his brother he was educated to succeed his father.
His marriage will go-ahead so that does mean he marries Marie Feodorovna (Dagmar of Denmark) - she was chosen as a political nonentity that would neither favour nor offend any other great power and the couple had formed an affectionate relationship. That also means the heir is married as in OTL to a notoriously anti-prussian Danish princess which might over time affect Nixa's views (as it did to a certain extent with Alexander III).
One issue will dominate the family life of the Emperor - if as his family feared he tore up the family rules and made his second morganatic wife Empress - all his children were devoted to their mother and in OTL Alexander III found his father's relationship with Catherine Dolgoruky difficult as did his wife Marie Feodorovna there is little to suppose that will change with a surviving Nixa.