How young can US First Lady be?

That´s relevant to both Before 1900 and After 1900, but for some reason, of the 228 year of US president, only once after 1900 was an US president not married (Wilson), while it happened 8 times before 1900.

These 9 occasions included:
4 Presidents were widowers when inaugurated (Jefferson, Jackson, Van Buren, Arthur)
2 Presidents were bachelors when inaugurated (Buchanan, Cleveland)
3 Presidents were widowed in White House (Tyler, Harrison, Wilson).

But while the post of Vice President has been vacant for 18 times in history, 7 times more than 3 years at a time, there has only ever been one attempt to rule USA without First Lady. It lasted 20 months, in 1837/1838. Van Buren was inaugurated as a widower with 4 sons, aged 20 to 30 and all bachelors.

The youngest OTL First Lady to be wife of President was Frances Folsom who, aged 21 years 10 months, married Cleveland, a 49 year old bachelor and her guardian.
The two younger first ladies were:
Emily Donelson, a married niece of Jackson´s late wife, who at age 21 years 9 months joined Jackson in White House to work as First Lady;
Angelica van Buren who aged 20 years 9 months married President´s 31 year old son to become the First Lady.

So... would a minor be a plausible candidate as First Lady?
Three First Ladies were daughters of widowed Presidents. However, Martha Jefferson was 28 when Jefferson was inaugurated, Mary Harrison was 34 when her mother died, and Margaret Wilson 28 when her mother died.

There actually WAS a single father at White House - as in, a widower President whose children were minors rather than adults. Arthur.
At his inauguration, his son Chester was 17 and his daughter Ellen was 10.
Arthur did not immediately bring either to White House - leaving Chester at Princeton and Ellen in New York with a governess. Even when he did bring them to Washington, he did show them off at parties but Ellen did not like them and Arthur shielded her from press.
Instead the First Lady was Arthur´s 40 years old married sister whose tasks included caring for Ellen. And that´s where the matters rested till Arthur´s exauguration, when Ellen was 14 or so.

So... given the social attitudes and practices, how old can First Lady of USA plausibly be?

Were there any serious Presidential candidates whose election would have resulted in a widower in White House? Especially a widower with teenage children? Raising the question of whether a teenager could fill in for First Lady or whether someone else needs to be found for the job.

Also: while scarcity of widowers in 20th century is not odd (lower adult mortality), there were 2 bachelor Presidents in 19th century - Buchanan and Cleveland. None since. Divorce has been more common in 20th century and both divorced Presidents were after 1980 - Reagan and Trump - but both were remarried divorcers at inauguration.

How common are bachelors, widowers, divorcees and single fathers in custody of minor children in lower level US political elite, like Senators, State governors and Cabinet members?

I think, the farther we go back in history, the younger a first lady could be. While teenagers are seen as children in these days and times. In the last century, not so much. It wasn't unheard of to be married at 16, or even younger. As you touched on, the lower life expectancy meant folks were having families at a younger age. I could see a widower president marrying a much younger woman. Resulting in a say 16 year old first lady.

I think, the farther we go back in history, the younger a first lady could be. While teenagers are seen as children in these days and times. In the last century, not so much. It wasn't unheard of to be married at 16, or even younger. As you touched on, the lower life expectancy meant folks were having families at a younger age. I could see a widower president marrying a much younger woman. Resulting in a say 16 year old first lady.

No, I mean unmarried First Lady. After all, since Jeffersons, Presidents have had First Ladies even when not married.

Turns out there almost, unofficially, were two teenage First Ladies.

The last and youngest was Helen Taft Jr.
When Helen Sr. had a stroke in May 1909, Helen Jr, then 17 year old, dropped out of school to work as First Lady. However, Helen Sr. survived and slowly recovered, so Helen Jr does not count as an official First Lady.
And the other was Mary Fillmore.
She was 18 at her father´s inauguration. And her mother Abigail had a never properly healed ankle that hampered her from standing long times to receive guests... so even though Abigail lived to be the First Lady through the exauguration, it was the teenager who had to do the job.

Malia Obama turned 16 in July 2014. Chelsea Clinton turned 16 in February 1996.

Given their public profiles as teenagers, would US public have accepted 15 year old Chelsea in 1995 or 15 year old Malia in 2014 as First Lady, if their mother was not around? Or would the President have had to search for a different, more adult female relative as per the precedent of Arthur?

Bush twins were also teenagers (19) in 2001. If Laura wasn´t available, would Barbara Jr. have been the First Lady? Or would she have been disqualified because too young to drink alcoholic beverages with her guests, and Barbara Sr. getting a second term as First Lady, this time as living mother of President?

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
So... given the social attitudes and practices, how old can First Lady of USA plausibly be?

It's not like there's any legal requirement for any particular age. If the President isn't married, the First Lady or First Gentleman becomes whoever the President designates.

Is it necessary for a First Lady, either designated or acting, to drink alcoholic beverages? Have any official First Ladies been teetotal?

Genuine questions as being Irish/British I don't know the answers.

For that matter, how would the US public react to a teenage First Lady drinking alcohol at a function on a state visit or in the embassy of a country where the legal drinking age was younger than in the US?

For example, in the UK the legal age to consume alcohol in bars is 18 but when having a meal in a licensed restaurant it is 16. Windsor castle or the British Embassy in DC would presumably count as such. In other European states it might be even lower.

FLOTUS is the wife of the President, so if Oliver Politician gets elected and weds his 13-year-old cousin Olivia, then the FLOTUS is 13. If Oliver Politician is unwed (single, widowed or divorced), he has an official hostess, either his sister Agatha, his mother Alma, maybe daughter Olivette (if she's old enough - she'd have to be of age to be 'presented to society' pre-modern times) or his VP's wife Ramona. (I doubt voters would vote for a 35-yr-old married to a 13yo before the election, but I could be wrong.)

FLOTUS is the wife of the President, so if Oliver Politician gets elected and weds his 13-year-old cousin Olivia, then the FLOTUS is 13. If Oliver Politician is unwed (single, widowed or divorced), he has an official hostess, either his sister Agatha, his mother Alma, maybe daughter Olivette (if she's old enough - she'd have to be of age to be 'presented to society' pre-modern times) or his VP's wife Ramona.
Reminding who were the First Ladies of unmarried Presidents:

1. Jefferson, a widower. His daughter Martha, 28 years old and married, served as First Lady
  2. Jackson, a widower. At inauguration, one son, then a bachelor. At first his late wife´s niece Emily Donelson, 21 and married, was enlisted as First Lady. Later, in 1834, Jackson replaced Emily as First Lady with his daughter-in-law Sarah Jackson, 31.
  3. Van Buren, a widower with 4 bachelor sons between 20 and 29 at inauguration. The only ever attempt to rule USA without First Lady. Ended when the eldest son on his 31st birthday married a 20 year old to be First Lady
  4. Tyler, widowed in White House. His daughter-in-law Elizabeth was 26.
  5. Buchanan, a bachelor. His niece Harriet Lane was 26 and unmarried at inauguration, and had been living with him as his ward since she was 11.
  6. Arthur, a widower. As mentioned, his 10 year old daughter was passed over as First Lady and his 40 year old married sister served.
  7. Cleveland, a bachelor. His First Lady was his sister Rose, 38 year old and never married. (She later went on to enter an expressly lesbian relationship age 44. Incidentally, the need for a host and hostess of opposite genders may cause problems when a President is married to a person of the same gender...)
  8. Harrison, widowed in White House. His daughter Mary was 34 and married.
  9. Wilson, widowed in White House. His daughter Margaret was 28 and never married.

There's no reason that the First Lady needs to be the President's spouse. As has been pointed out in this thread, while that has customarily been the case other female relatives have fulfilled the same role for Presidents who are either widowers or unmarried or when the President's wife is unable to exercise the role. There's no reason the President couldn't designate someone else First Lady in the event their spouse was unable or simply unwilling to perform those functions. I don't think it is at all hard to imagine a situation where the newly elected President's wife (or husband for that matter) simply doesn't want to act as the First Lady due to wanting to avoid the public exposure. While it would be a bit unusual, I don't think it would be a major political obstacle to being elected for the President's spouse to stay private and not take on a visible role. If the President had an adult or nearly-adult daughter, say 17 or 18 but still in high school, I don't think it would be at all strange for said daughter to perform certain of the First Lady's duties, though likely an adult relative would take on the more political and visible functions while the daughter would do more of the social ones. Or alternatively the minor First Lady simply wouldn't do any of the political and visible functions that have become associated with the First Lady. So there, an unusual but by no means impossible path to getting a minor as First Lady.

We could establish a minimum age and other legal qualifications if we just made it an official, elected office per Beth Lapides' proposal of 1992:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010306080226/http://uncabaret.com/firstlady/firstmanifesto.html

The First Lady Campaign Manifesto

WE BELIEVE...

FIRST LADY should be an elected position.

FIRST LADY has become a position of global influence, but the sole qualification for the job is still simply sleeping with the President!

FIRST LADY should no longer be a position which enslaves the political wives of America.

FIRST LADY should be detached from the Presidency. The President would have his (or her) own spouse and the First Lady would have her (or his) own spouse.

FIRST LADY should no longer be a mere accessory to our Presidential hopefuls. By detaching the First Lady from the President we would remove the onus of being First Lady-less from women, single men, gay and lesbian candidates.

FIRST LADY should be a paid position. We expect her to work for us, why should we expect to 'buy one and get one free'?

FIRST LADY is a national resource that is being squandered.

FIRST LADY should be elected on her own merits. The American people should be able to choose the person who best represents the social and cultural agenda we want for the next four years.

FIRST LADY is the place to begin America's evolution into the 21st century. Let's not think of it as a change, let's think of it as a makeover.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010304101052/http://www.uncabaret.com/firstlady/firstlady.html

Beth didn't get elected, but she considers the campaign a success, since she got as many electoral college votes as Ross Perot and spent about $8 million less.

There isn't an official rule.

But I think the socially accepted convention is half your age plus seven. For the youngest possible President, that would be about 24 years old.

Now, if we had a Muslim or FLDS President who had plural marriage (not officially civil marriage to 4 women, but just through private ceremonies), and they decided to make a very young wife their First Lady (doesn't have to be the official wife, technically), I suppose its plausible that you'd see a younger First Lady. Actually, the issue of polygamy is quite interesting in other countries. Jacob Zuma in South Africa has six wives, I think, and they ALL get state support and funding for their expenses, and being the wives of a profligate spender like Zuma, they put quite the dent for being just the spouses of the President. There was some controversy when he decided to take a new one.

Or, if someone is a widower with a daughter who is say, 20 years old, and she accepts the role, then fine.

"I don't think it is at all hard to imagine a situation where the newly elected President's wife (or husband for that matter) simply doesn't want to act as the First Lady due to wanting to avoid the public exposure."

I've read that something like this situation came close to happening with Melania Trump. I could see a situation where the President's spouse puts her or his foot down and won't move to Washington and another relative steps in.

If the President had an adult or nearly-adult daughter, say 17 or 18 but still in high school, I don't think it would be at all strange for said daughter to perform certain of the First Lady's duties, though likely an adult relative would take on the more political and visible functions while the daughter would do more of the social ones. Or alternatively the minor First Lady simply wouldn't do any of the political and visible functions that have become associated with the First Lady. So there, an unusual but by no means impossible path to getting a minor as First Lady.

That´s basically what happened to Helen Tafts. Jr. was 17 when her mother had a stroke - the daughter dropped out of school to work as the First Lady. But, since Sr survived and eventually recovered, never got credited as First Lady.

About teen First Daughters: Ellen Grant was 13 at inauguration. And widely popular as the first teen girl in White House after Fillmores. And had a high public profile at that. The public got shocked when Ellen danced all night at a society ball, but Grant did not rebuke her. Grant did get concerned about crowds of suitors when she was 16, and sent her to a trip to Britain with trusted chaperones... where she met Queen Victoria.

Julia Grant was very much available.

If Julia wasn´t, would Ellen Grant have been in the running for First Lady?

Though technically, the President doesn't have to be in Washington at all either. He or she could live and meet with his or cabinet elsewhere and make the State of the Union address an written (or online) report as it was through much of US history. And there are a number of instances of state governors living or even having their offices in another city from where the legislature meets. But again Trump was probably the best opportunity to have a Prez try something like this.

No need for a White House host or hostess if the Prez isn't going to be using the White House.

I was not even aware that "First Lady" was anything like a job (as opposed to a honorific) before reading this thread. And I still don't get it, since it is not really an official positiion, if I understand correctly.

I was not even aware that "First Lady" was anything like a job (as opposed to a honorific) before reading this thread. And I still don't get it, since it is not really an official positiion, if I understand correctly.

It's not an official position, just something that has arisen by tradition. A president doesn't HAVE to have a "First Lady" at all.

It started as an honorific for the President’s wife, but the First Lady pretty quickly took on a role as an important social role in Washington high society. In the twentieth century this social function became even more prominent and moved toward the modern situation where the First Lady engages with political and social causes and has a formal staff to accompany that.