How would US demographics look if the US never passed restrictions on immigration.

Probably a third of the world population with no restrictions. With modern tech even most of the worlds poorest people know someone or have some kind of connection that can get them boat, bus, or plane tickets here. Private companies could get people over in a few days and get them to pay for their fare over here with a few days work. Churches would probably bring people over from all over the world to alleviate poverty. Once a handful of people get here they will have enough money to send back for family and friends.

By the 1960s I would expect tens of millions from Africa, China, SE Asia, India, MENA, Eastern Europe, Central Asia, and Latin America to come here every decade.

You're going to have to somehow curb the racist attitudes of the time, which were keen on restricting the immigration of non-European people.

The United States is likely to see issues with overpopulation sooner of later, but the diversity of the country would be far greater than that of what we have even OTL. Just about anyone from around the world that wanted to come to US and had the means to do so, would.

We'd definitely be seeing more Chinese and Japanese immigrants in California and larger percentage of Eastern and Southern Europeans coming as well. Increased immigration from Latin America is also likely as well as any Jewish immigrates seeking to escape prejudice in Europe.

This is an interesting topic, as unlikely as it is, and it would be neat to see how this US would look like.

Having a population of 1 billion would be somewhat okay for the United States given the Mississippi River Valley. Over than that with say 1,5 billion or more and there's going to be some problems

The United States is likely to see issues with overpopulation sooner of later, but the diversity of the country would be far greater than that of what we have even OTL. Just about anyone from around the world that wanted to come to US and had the means to do so, would.

We'd definitely be seeing more Chinese and Japanese immigrants in California and larger percentage of Eastern and Southern Europeans coming as well. Increased immigration from Latin America is also likely as well as any Jewish immigrates seeking to escape prejudice in Europe.

This is an interesting topic, as unlikely as it is, and it would be neat to see how this US would look like.

exactly and I wonder having if having more land would curbed the anti immigrant sentiments a little.

Even with that, I don't think that would really alleviate anti-immigration. It'd just be more empty space that the US owns. OTL borders aren't hard pressed to hold more people, but it is the people inside them that do.

You're going to have to somehow curb the racist attitudes of the time, which were keen on restricting the immigration of non-European people.
The immigration restrictions from the 1920s to the 1960s were designed to curb immigration from Southern and Eastern Europe (Italy, Greece, Poland, Russia, Iberia, Balkans, Jews).

As in from its founding? There would be more Southern and Eastern European immigration followed by Asia-Pacific immigration. After that, and the world increasingly globalizes, I expect more and more immigration from various parts of the world. Interesting timeline to say the least.

Last edited:
As in from its founding? Interesting idea to say the least, there would be more Southern and Eastern European immigration followed by Asia-Pacific immigration. After that, and the world increasingly globalizes, I expect more and more immigration from various parts of the world. Interesting timeline to say the least.
Giving the Melting Pot a very literal meaning to it.

exactly and I wonder having if having more land would curbed the anti immigrant sentiments a little.

The US is not exactly a crowded country. Anti-immigrant sentiment is just something that exists all over. In a democracy, the majority group never wants to become a minority.