How would America have fought the Chechen War?

Recently I have been reading alot about the Chechen wars. The second war seems to be over but there is still problems in the Caucasus(islamic insurgents in Dagestan,Ingushetia). The 1994 war was an epic fail(Grozny,Dolinskoye etc). The Russians approach to the war was practically total aeria warfare and sending in conscripts to "mop up" the cities. This plane did not worked. The second war was different Russia went all out. They used vacuum bombs,short range ballistic missiles,heavy artillery. They used everything except WMDS to crush the Chechens. My question is how would the US wage a war in Chechnya? What tactics would the US use to stop the Chechen rebels? How would they approach the terrain,Grozny and other urban areas. And finally how would they keep the peace?

Some sort of messier-than-OTL Russian civil war leads to (after Russia splits into half a dozen quarreling left, right, and middle regimes) the fomation of an independent North Caucuses federation. Move right along some eight decades and Osama bin Guirguis is hiding out in the Republic of Chechnya... :D

Bruce

The question should be addressed how would be if the US was in Russia's place how would it wage the war. It should simply if the roles were reversed how would the US wage the Chechen War? The reason I asked was because Russia unleashed total war against the Chechens, would the US do the same if it faces a resistance like the Checehn rebels?

A better idea would be, can the USA go bad enough some Chechen-style insurection happen?

Was there a POD allowing a rise of racism toward blacks or amerindians to insane levels, or lenghten it, by example? *shuders*

well, to me the OP seems to be asking, "let's take the (rather ASB-ish) idea that US forces instead of Russians are the ones who are attacking Chechnya; how would they go about it?" Assuming that the US can get it's forces in the same places the Russians had to start from and has no problems with supplies/logistics, what would we do different? Not really sure off the top of my head... I'd guess more reliance on airpower/big bombs, more use of helicopters.... not sure just what strategic/tactical things would change...

The second war was different Russia went all out. They used vacuum bombs,short range ballistic missiles,heavy artillery. They used everything except WMDS to crush the Chechens.

Russian tactics in the seond war were more sophisticated.

First: Wait until the Cheches get tired of their Jihader and crime boss "liberators" and for Chechen terror raids alienate Daghestanis, Inghush, Ossetians etc.

Second: Invade with trained troops and working equipment. After Chechen terror attacks in Russia, many Russian soldies are eager to fight.

Third: Motivated Russian troops systematicaly grid search the low lying areas for guerillas. All guerilla groups are quickly wiped out with massive, but relativley focused fire power to minimize Russian casualties (many guerillas were taken by surprise by the Russian effectiveness).

Fourth: Grozny is secured an alternative Chechen government installed.

Fifth: Resistance continues in the mountaineous third of Chechneya. Russians do not garrisson this area and instead use special forces and high technology to hunt down guerilla groups.

I think the U.S. would have done the same but taken more care to avoid civilian casualties.

Hendryk

Banned
The question should be addressed how would be if the US was in Russia's place how would it wage the war.
If the US was in Russia's place, then obviously it wouldn't be the US. It would have had a completely different political history, and it's impossible to speculate as to how it would respond to this specific situation.

If the US was in Russia's place, then obviously it wouldn't be the US. It would have had a completely different political history, and it's impossible to speculate as to how it would respond to this specific situation.
I think you've missed the point, or are being needlessly pedantic. This isn't meant to be a credible POD but a mental exercise, to see how different societies, with their differing cultural standards, histories and militaries would respond to a certain event. I'd actually be interested to see someone give a good answer to the OP's question, rather than pick apart the premise needlessly. I myself don't know enough about the Chechen wars to answer myself.

Last edited:

Clipper747

Banned
Soros and a few other "do something to feel good libs" salivated over the idea. There was an attempt to demonize the Russians in the US media (much like the successful lynching of anything Serb by the news) but fortunately it didn't take.

Soros was told to stay out or else after a few of his employees ended up dead. Apparently his people were trying to put together "evidence" against Russian forces. Soros got the message and the media campaign against the Russians was quietly dropped.

Soros and a few other "do something to feel good libs" salivated over the idea. There was an attempt to demonize the Russians in the US media (much like the successful lynching of anything Serb by the news) but fortunately it didn't take.

Soros was told to stay out or else after a few of his employees ended up dead. Apparently his people were trying to put together "evidence" against Russian forces. Soros got the message and the media campaign against the Russians was quietly dropped.

Conspiracymongering is not welcome on this board. Kicked for a week.