How to make the federal SoCreds 'mainstream'

So, I've been thinking about trying to do a Wikibox TL about the federal Social Credit Party undergoing a shift from Social Credit Theory to more mainstream rural populism, similar to the Alberta SoCreds' shift to conservatism.
So my question is this: could the federal SoCreds be convinced by the Alberta SoCreds' electoral success that shifting to more mainstream policies would benefit their party?
And if they did adopt more generically conservative or populist policies, how would this affect their electoral performance?

If, somehow, they managed to surpass the (Progressive) Conservatives, they'd probably eventually switch to more mainstream policies and become the main right-wing party. That said though, it's hard to make that happen. Maybe a worse Great Depression allows SoCred to pass the Conservatives in 1935? Maybe a PC party continually dominated by eastern moderates (i.e. no Diefenbaker) result in western populists eventually flocking to SoCred? Or maybe have the party retain its Western roots and eventually take the place of OTL Reform? Hard to say.

If, somehow, they managed to surpass the (Progressive) Conservatives, they'd probably eventually switch to more mainstream policies and become the main right-wing party. That said though, it's hard to make that happen. Maybe a worse Great Depression allows SoCred to pass the Conservatives in 1935? Maybe a PC party continually dominated by eastern moderates (i.e. no Diefenbaker) result in western populists eventually flocking to SoCred? Or maybe have the party retain its Western roots and eventually take the place of OTL Reform? Hard to say.

Maybe we can combine these ideas. There's a worse Depression and the PCs piss off their Prairie supporters.

What would course of action could in the PCs take in the 1930s or 1940s to alienate their Western support?

Last edited: